New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East - 7/30/12
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:18 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

After making plans last week, I drive down to University BWW to meet up with HUTCH (David), STATS (DJ), and RUEZIM (Gary). Some guy named Dan was supposed to show up...but STATS keeps talking about him, and he never shows. Me thinks he doesn't exist and STATS just wants to make it look like he has a lot of friends :lol:

Round 1 goes smoothly...30/30. HUTCH and STATS both had a good call on the Olympic athlete and basketball HOFer.

Round 2 starts on a silver platter for HUTCH and STATS (and BO, and any other golf aficionados) with Bubba Watson...5/5. And 1? Where's he from? What school did he play at? Nope...first name...STATS says Gerry...5/5. We were slow on Derelle Revis...until we saw the green on the jersey. Where did he go to school? I say Troy. And 1? Troy's not up there...and I'm driving the bus this week :oops: After a slight delay...Gary comes through with Pittsburgh...4.4/5. Way to get us back on track! Unfortunately, that was as good as it got for the round as we missed on Dizzy Dean and strikeouts (guess you can say we struck out on this question)...0/5 on both. 18.4 for the round...48.4/60 for the game. And time for my weekly quote..."There goes our 200 game...til next week!"

Round 3 starts with Arizona player hit 3 HRs...hmmm...finally I go Jason Kubel! 4.1/5. Thanks Mr. Waiver Wire pick up on my fantasy team. Royal Latham (STATS/HUTCH) 5/5. Seattle Seahawks, Barry Larkin, Edmonton, Rick Nash, Penn State all 5/5. David Price...I hit DC instead of DI and lost .8 by the time I got it straightened out. Houston Rockets 5/5 (thanks STATS as I was focusing on my beer). Ichiro Suzuki 5/5 to end a nice round at 48.3/50...96.7/110 for the game.

Round 4 starts with 2002...5/5. A little slow on 1964...3/5...everyone else got 4/5. 1987 was 5/5 (STATS on Alysheba). 1995 was 2/5 as we were all over the board. 1974 only 2/5 as I went with 77 and away from 74 that STATS said right off the bat. :roll: 1997 was only 1.5 as I was on 1999...HUTCH was on 1998. 1953 was 3/5 as STATS got the Heisman winner. 2007 was 5/5 as STATS nailed it on Peyton. 26.5/40 for the round...123.2 for the game.

Round 5 starts with what we think will be easy with 500 winners and the car they drove...but alas, we switch Pete Hamilton and David Pearson...6/12. Year Canadian team last won the Cup? Slam dunk...12/12. Team with regular 2B? Another slam dunk...12/12. 4th question I forget what it was...but we switched Olympic Stadium and Rasunda...6/12. Last question...can we finish strong? Slow on identifying Ray Malavasi...but nail the rest...8/12. 167.2 for the game...and for once in a long time (or maybe I just don't pay attention enough), I'm bringing up the rear for the bar in 4th and 5th place (and 6th and 7th, but luckily they don't count).

Waiting for rankings...HUTCH thinks we'll be 4th or 5th...STATS says 4th. I say 7th. RUEZIM is too busy drinking an ice cold adult beverage to give a prediction :lol: or I just didn't hear him. :roll: Rankings come up...we're 4th. Not bad...just off the podium. Congrats to L PATO (Jorge) and the rest of the krewe at Hooters of Tallahassee on the individual and location wins last night...y'all were very strong yet again. A little bit of a gap to Stadium Cafe in second place...but a strong game as usual by BO and his krewe. Just a little behind is the 86th St krewe in third place...another solid game for them!

Usual locations on top of the leaderboard as expected: Hooters of Tallahassee, Stadium Cafe, 86th St, Walshs, Mezzanine, Playmakers, Hooters of Springfield, BWW Creve Coeur, Runyon's, Primetime, Slapshotz, BWW Woodridge, the other BWWs and anyone else I missed.

Usual cast of characters on the leaderboard: L PATO, RO, SPOTS, BLJAYS, DJR, JIMBOB, SLOTEK, BEERMN, and anyone else I missed. Will take a look at the West feed once it's up. :evil: #FSPLIT :evil: #FSPLIT :evil: #FSPLIT Oops...not on Twitter :lol:

STATS and I tried again to get HUTCH and RUEZIM to sign up for scaratings...we'll see if it worked this week! Hey STATS...get that picture yet?

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East - 7/30/12
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Thank you UCFHCY and STATS. Jorge (L Pato) shows up with his long hair buzzed off and takes the night to get used to (actually happened last week but I forgot to mention it). It's the last Monday that the Smartest Bar (Six)/Showdown crew will play Sports IQ until September. Matt (Zippy) has been a tremendous addition this month. Jorge and Ken (Kendo) will be heading south on vacation in a couple of weeks or so. Jorge even mentioned about hooking up with you guys on his way to Ft. Myers. Richard (TPG) and I will be interested to see how we match up against you. The night also is abuzz with rumors that the old Varsity Grill Location has been bought by an ex-NFL football player. I played at Bru's Room in Stuart in February so that's a possibility along with Mugs and Jugs.

My board:

Round 1) 27/30. I just happen to watch water polo yesterday and convinced the team I knew the answer. "Horse" Gallatin sounded like an NBA Hall of Famer but the team went NFL for our only whiff.

Round 2) 28.8/30. We were on DeSean Jackson when green first appeared then quickly change to Revis. Ken asks why wasn't Bubba a choice for Bubba Watson's first name on part 2 of his question.

Round 3) 48.2/50. No, the Columbus Blue Jackets did not trade Shea Weber to the N.Y. Rangers, wrong player, wrong trade, and the letters don't fit. I get out the giant white-out and finally convince the team it's Rick Nash. (L Pato is already driving the bus to meet UCFHCY, STATS, and crew)

Round 4) 27.7/40. Our worst round of the night. I mentally flip-flop N.J. Devils with Detroit Red Wings and call 2000 on the first question instead of 2002, not a good start. Also Kevin Garnett gets us as L Pato shifts the bus into first gear by calling 1996 instead of 1997.

Round 5) 54/60 for a 185.7 total. I go 12, 12, 12, 6, 12. We complete a total team effort and only misstep on the World Cup Stadiums flip-flopping the first two choices but nailing the last three. We also barely educatedly guess in time by elimination Pete Hamilton drove a Plymouth to his 1970 (oops, we weren't asked for the years) Daytona 500 win and the rest of the matches fall into place. L Pato and TPG lead the way on MLB second basemen and their teams and I lead the way on the Canadian Stanley cup winners as Arthur, our resident Canadian, giggles with excitement.

We'll see you again next week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:44 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

We'll look forward to meeting Jorge...the more the merrier!

Hunk wrote:
Jorge and Ken (Kendo) will be heading south on vacation in a couple of weeks or so. Jorge even mentioned about hooking up with you guys on his way to Ft. Myers. Richard (TPG) and I will be interested to see how we match up against you.

That's great news!!

Hunk wrote:
The night also is abuzz with rumors that the old Varsity Grill Location has been bought by an ex-NFL football player. I played at Bru's Room in Stuart in February so that's a possibility along with Mugs and Jugs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:47 am 
Himself Fodder

At our place last night the between round breaks were nearly non-existent as our game was over at 745, then had to wait 12 minutes for the rankings. Will be interesting to see if that happens for SD tonight.

Missed 2 flat out in round 1, the Olympian and Gallatin.

Like others, bled a few tenths on Revis, but nailed Pitt. Split K's and innings for Dizzy, Bubba was a yawner.

Perfect spelling round, had two boxes with 50.0.

Missed 2002, nailed 1953 for Hogan(a true golf fan knows this as it was his only Open appearance :lol: ), 1964 for 4.0, 1997 for 5.0, 2007 for 5.0, 1987 for 5.0 (it was mentioned in a CD Q prior to SIQ), 1995 for 2.0 on the Devils I think, can't even remember what the clues for 1974 were but we must have done OK. Even with a whiff on 2002 we had a couple of boxes break 30.0.

3 of 5 on World Cup stadiums, we know nothing about Nascar, nailed the other three.

Strangely, I know next to nothing about hockey, but nailed 4 questions about it last night. Lady Byng, precalled Messier's number, precalled Rick Nash, and somehow knew 4 of the 5 in the matching round. Weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:32 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Bad years round killed my game last night. Only 21.5 in Round 4.. Only had 3 5.0s. THere were 4 Years questions where I was one year off so that pretty much did me in.

Round 1 - 30/30.

Round 2 - 18/30.
10/10 on Bubba. Only 3/10 on Revis. Got Dizzy Dean for 5.0. On the AND 1:...........Strikeouts or innings?...........Strikeouts or innings?......Strikeouts or innings?...............Innings it is......WHAM

Round 3 - 48.1/50

Round 4 - 21.5...........Nasty

Round 5 - 42/60
Mixed up 2 answers in Daytona, Stanley Cup years, and World Cup hosts. 12/12 for second basemen and Super Bowl coaches. 6 6 12 6 12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:03 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Looks like my visit is finally starting to rub off on you :lol:

-BO- wrote:
Strangely, I know next to nothing about hockey, but nailed 4 questions about it last night. Lady Byng, precalled Messier's number, precalled Rick Nash, and somehow knew 4 of the 5 in the matching round. Weird.

Last edited by UCFHCY on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Let's see:

30 in round one
Side note: I read somewhere that Harry Gallatin was the shortest player to win an NBA rebounding title until Sir Charles did it. At least, that's how I knew who he was.

About 23 in round two; pre-called both Dean answers; had no clue where Revis went to college. Now if they had asked about Mugsy Skladane...

Bled here and there in spelling for about 37 points. Called out Rick Shaw instead of Rick Nash. Probably because he carried that team. :mrgreen:

Got 33 in the year round (got Jim Gilliam in '53 for 5.0, pretty much my only saving grace for the round)

Finished with a 54 in the last round. We also conflated Olympic and Rasunda.
Should have played the lottery last evening instead of SIQ since I somehow managed to get the 5 second basemen correct. I would feel much more confident if they asked this kind of question for the 1912 season instead of 2012. How about that Ray Morgan? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:08 pm 
Legal Member

Well a very good night for the team at playmaker's

Coin Flip: 27.0/30.0 Missed the Water Polo answer and guessed on Gallatin

Profiles 20.0/30.0 Got Bubba for 5.0 Someone on the Team precalled his real first name for 5.0. 4.1 on Revis with a very predictable follow up for 5.0. And then the bain of our existence for the last couple of weeks. 1.2 on Dean as picture wasn't clear and then bricked the follow up for a combined score of 47.0/60

Box score
Kubel 5.0 Misspelled Lytham for 3.2 Lynch and Larkin for 5.0. Edmonton 2.7 don't like Indy car...and 5.0 Nash and Penn St. 3.5 for David Price and 5.0 for Rockets and Ichiro 41.2/50 88.2/110

Overtime
5.0 2002 Hurricanes-Wings easy. 4.0 1964 Browns clued us in. 1987 Alysheba 5.0 1995 RDRDAN with the Garnett get. 0.0 1974 had no clue. 1997 3.0 thanks to interleague play. 1953 4.0 thanks to RDRDAN again for the Ben Hogan Open Championship and finish it off with 5.0 switching to 2007 just in time and not confusing it with the Squealers err Stealers that year. 31.0 119.2/150

Match Point
Start out 6.0 out of 12 on Car Maker to driver and lucky to do that. 12.0 on team with last cup easy for us. 2nd baseman another 12.0 Flopped 2 on World Cup stadium for World Cup Final and now for the time to complain. Memo to Buzztime the Eagles last coach to lose a Super Bowl was Andy Reid when they lost to the Patriots when Donovan McNabb allegedly blew chunks in the huddle not Dick Vermeil getting overmatched vs the Raiders. 8.0 as we doubled up on Vermeil to get 8.0 points and I finish with a respectable 42.0/60 163.2/210.0.

I am not so optimistic about this game but when rankings come up Playmaker's is 7th and life is good for our last week there before going back to our usual place West Park Station for Monday's in September to win Smartest Bar.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

timmy879 wrote:
Memo to Buzztime the Eagles last coach to lose a Super Bowl was Andy Reid when they lost to the Patriots when Donovan McNabb allegedly blew chunks in the huddle not Dick Vermeil getting overmatched vs the Raiders. 8.0 as we doubled up on Vermeil to get 8.0 points and I finish with a respectable 42.0/60 163.2/210.0.

See: Belichek, Callahan, and Reeves (Broncos-Red Miller certainly wasn't the last)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

timmy879 wrote:
Memo to Buzztime the Eagles last coach to lose a Super Bowl was Andy Reid when they lost to the Patriots when Donovan McNabb allegedly blew chunks in the huddle not Dick Vermeil getting overmatched vs the Raiders. 8.0 as we doubled up on Vermeil to get 8.0 points and I finish with a respectable 42.0/60 163.2/210.0.

Didn't they just ask us to match "the coach to the team he lost the Super Bowl with"? Vermeil for the Eagles, Malavasi for the Rams, Rauch for the Raiders, Berry for the Patriots and Miller for the Broncos were the five matches in play last night and they were all the first coaches of those franchises to lose the Super Bowl. The key was spotting Malavasi early.
Cheer up. It could be worse.
I remember a Six game about ten years ago in the old format that asked us to match the ruling family to the country and four of the ruling families on the list ruled at least two of the countries listed. :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

STATS (DJ) stopped in JF Kicks for some lunch and Raceday trivia today on his way to O-town...so I figured I'd bump this thread so he can see it as he's offline til Monday...said he'd post some comments (mainly about my recollections about who's driving the bus :lol: ) on Monday...so bump....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:21 am 
Phosphorus

My score last week:

Round 1 - 30 points - score one for Hutch on water polo
Round 2 - 18.8 - struck out by Dizzy Dean when I went with innings pitched
Round 3 - 48.1 - got a timely assist from UCFHCY on Jason Kubel to help me out
Round 4 - 32 points and I can admit now that Evel Knievel was an educated guess but UCFHCY (Brad) should've listened to me anyway. :lol:
Round 5 - 44 points due to NASCAR miss (and 2 NASCAR guys in the group) :o
Hunk wrote:
Jorge and Ken (Kendo) will be heading south on vacation in a couple of weeks or so. Jorge even mentioned about hooking up with you guys on his way to Ft. Myers. Richard (TPG) and I will be interested to see how we match up against you.
We are excited about the prospects of this collaboration.

UCFHCY may be on the sideline this evening due to more pressing matters. If so, hopefully he can still play at JF Kicks to stay involved in the fun and still stay out of his doghouse.