New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SIQ 8/6/2012
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:12 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Gotta say right off the bat that I like the Picture Round in the last two weeks going with old baseball. Dizzy Dean last week and Lou Gehrig this week. Very nice. It seems to always have been another "current events'" round, but I like the idea of mixing it up with some older things!! End score 172.1 for my board.

Round 1 - 24/30

Round 2 - 22.3/30. 5/10 on Scott Brooks. Had no idea what team he did not play for. Only 2.3 on the Tiger Woods picture. As soon as question came up I went with Tiger.....no brainer, right? As the picture started to come in I swore it showed a white guy!! Momentary panic sets in and I switch it. By the time I switch it back only 2.3. Have to learn to ignore the pictures (in the past they have had an occasional tendency to be wrong anyway). 5.0 on Tiger follow up. 10/10 on Lou Gehrig.

Round 3 - 40.8. Lost a few points on skeet shooter. ALso had very bad letter placement on Morales and didnt get it spelled right for a complete whiff.

Round 4 - 29.0 Fives on '92, '83, and '58. Fours on '04 and '67. Three on '06. Two on '76. One on '99.

Round 5 - 56/60. Mixed up 2 on the saves leaders. Otherwise 12/12 on the rest.

Post subject: Re: SIQ 8/6/2012
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:32 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Deleted my summary and moved it over here...nice summary TCHCNB...thanks for getting it started!

Leaving my house heading down to University BWW to meet up with HUTCH (David) and STATS (DJ), it's a light rain...until I get to the convergence of I-275 and I-75 and I run into a wall of rain. Great last twenty minutes for my drive. :roll: HUTCH shows up just as SIQ is starting and says it's still nasty outside. Not sure where this system came from...but if the Tallahassee group can go out in Debby...we can make it out in this downpour.

Round 1 starts and things are going smoothly. Albert Belle or Johnny Bench? I say maybe Belle?...as I was thinking his few years beat out Bench. Apparently STATS and HUTCH said Bench not Belle...and I'm already driving the bus and bringing up the rear for the bar. Sloanne Stephens comes up...I follow the lead of STATS and HUTCH to salvage a 27...chasing their perfectos. Nice round guys!

Round 2....2010 coach of the year? After a few seconds to think about...I go Scott Brooks. Not quickly enough to get a 5...but 4.9 is still respectable. And 1? Let's see...he played for Houston....who else? Choices come up...I say Philly. Time's counting down...I go no...I think it's Dallas...and we attempt to salvage a few points. Golden State? So much for salvaging points. Next up...Tiger Woods and 15 Grand Slams....easy pickings for HUTCH and STATS. No 15? Go 14...and the discussion turns to he's searching for his 15th. 5/5 on both. Next clue comes up...we go Lou Gehrig. Blonde hair? HUTCH says Mickey Mantle. Gehrig is the answer...and I give HUTCH the keys to the bus. 0/5. What school? HUTCH and I go Yale...STATS goes Columbia to salvage some points. 0/5. 14.9/30 for the round...41.9 for the game. I don't even bother saying there goes our 200 game.

Round 3 starts...Fred Couples, Hungarian Grand Prix, Zach Greinke, Missy Franklin (STATS and/or HUTCH as I can't remember who said it) are all 5/5. Two homers same inning different side of the plate? Slow...slow...til I finally go Kendrys Morales!...salvaging 3/5. Orlando Magic, Jimmie Johnson, Skeet Shooting (STATS and/or HUTCH), and Brandi Chastain (HUTCH and/or STATS). Who was traded to San Francisco? I go Hunter Pence. 5/5. 48/50 for the round...89.9 for the game. Good round for us after round 2 laid the Smackdown.

Round 4...can we keep the momentum going? 1992 was 3/5 as STATS had us on 1991 until I saw the Olympic clue. 2006 was 3/5 as I was on 2008. 1976 (STATS), 1983 (STATS), and 1958 (STATS on Palmer clue) were 5/5. 2004 was only 0.2/5 as we were all over the board...ending on 2006. Of course, HUTCH's food came right to the table right after 1958....and he has no silverware to eat with. So he's trying to ask the food runner and the waitress (who just showed up) for silverware. Not only is HUTCH driving the bus...he's got the BWW staff involved!! :lol: 1967 was a 3/5 (STATS got on North Stars clue). 1999 was 4/5 as I was on 1998 until the Preakness clue (STATS). 28.2/40 for the round...118.1 for the game.

Round 5...can we salvage it? Team with Super Bowl MVP? 12/12. Baseball team with saves leader this season? Easy...or was it? Huston Street didn't register...so only 8/12. :evil: Car with Sprint Cup driver? Really? At least challenge us with the manufacturer...but thanks for the softball. Country with soccer star? Think we got it even though I'm not agreeing with HUTCH and STATS on the Brazilian star. Got the first two...switched the last 3...4/12. Sport with famous star? Thanks for letting us coast home with some points...12/12. 48/60 for the round...166.1 for the game.

Waiting for the rankings to come up and we don't even bother guessing where we'll be. We end up 7th...only 10 points behind the leaders. I thought it'd be much worse. Congrats to HEELS (Underdog) and the Tallahasee krewe on the individual and overall wins last night! Nicely done all.

Usual suspects on the leaderboard: HEELS, TPG, RO, MONARC, STATS, LAWSON, BLJAYS, SPOTES, TNC, BO, POPE, MEGUMI, and anyone else I missed.

Usual locations on the leaderboard: Hooters of Tallahassee, Underdog, 86th St, Stadium Cafe, Hooters of Springfield, JP Shakers, Walshs, Broken Barrel, Runyons, Slapshotz, The Arena, Quaker Steak, Friendly Confines, the myraid of BWWs, and anyone else I missed.

Will check on the West scores later.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:36 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Thanks UCFHCY. I drove in quite a downpour as I had to leave work early to pay my utility bill at the FSU Credit Union in the same plaza as Pocket's. What a lovely cashier. I simply ran out of checks and brought cash. I'm gonna have to do this every month I think as I head to Hooter's. What a surprise to see Arthur present on a non-Smartest Bar night but he's celebrating Civic Day. Ken (Kendo) is celebrating Jamaican Independence Day (he was born in Jamaica, N.Y.). Jorge
(L Pato), Richard (TPG), Eric (SLAM) and his wife Kim (Scots) come in after the rain subsides to complete the team.

My board:

Round 1) 24/30. We whiff the first two question. I'm not going against Jorge but he calls "Hot Plate" for Chuck Person even though I thought it was "Rifleman" (Chuck Connors). What? He's wrong on a basketball question? We all figured Albert Belle had 400+ homers knowing Johnny Bench had 398. What? Richard is wrong on a baseball question? We quickly regroup and nail the last eight questions.

Round 2) 16.5/30. What? Jorge is wrong on another basketball question? Maybe it's not our night. We go Dallas instead of Golden State. I must have not answered a question or had an answer not take.

Round 3) 46.8/50. Jorge thought I said "Speed Shooting" instead of "Skeet Shooting" and I remember the Hungarian Grand Prix even though I thoughtlessly discarded last Monday's USA Today Sports section but kept the Olympics section.

Round 4) 28.2/40. We all agreed to disagree on several. On the last question I'm sure of 1999 as Jorge is calling out 1998 (Silver Charm-1997, Real Quiet-1998, and Charismatic-1999 by memory banks spit out)

Not our usual stout standing after four rounds and I'm thinking we need a perfect 60 to finish with respectable scores which we do. A total team effort finally with Richard taking the lead on baseball, Jorge and I joining forces on Nascar and Soccer (I didn't watch five hours of the Pocono race yesterday for nothing Jorge says)

I'm thinking we're #3 or #4 but surprisingly we're #1 by a slim 2 points over Underdog Sports Bar in the East but Hat's off to Ralphie's Sports Bar for the overall #1 bar ranking.

Monday night is $5.99 cheeseburger and french fries night, my bill comes and they've charge me an extra .50 for cheese. The waitress cheerfully corrects it but I'm gonna be razzed all week. Kendo heads to Boca Raton and Jorge heads to Fort Myers either this or next Monday so Richard and I have our work cut out for us but we're not ceding our top spot just yet to 86th St. Pub, Walsh's, JP Shaker's or even BWW's with Jorge playing against us. See you next week.

Oh yeah, when I got home there were my new checks waiting for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:15 pm 
Himself Fodder

Due to other commitments my usual two teammates were absent last night, so I sat there with all my friends and 5 PM's ready to do battle with teams of players across half the continent.

Round 1, went Belle over Bench, nailed the rest. 27 of 30.

Round 2, missed Brooks follow up, nailed the rest. As I stated in the incorrect questions thread, the Tiger follow up had no correct answer as written. Tiger has 17 majors, 14 of them professional as his 3 U.S. Ams count towards his total. The media constantly neglects to clarify professional majors when babbling on about his exploits. And to the game writer, don't think I didn't notice the choice of Mizzou as a choice on Lou Gehrig's college. Very nice. 25 of 30.

Round 3, with 5 boxes it's obviously impossible to get 5's across the board even on known questions, the best I did last night was 5,5,5,5,4.8. So there was lots of blood down the line. Bled some on the first board on Missy Franklin, Hunter Pence, Skeet Shooting, Zack Greinke. While I nailed it, didn't think the Solo/Chastain twitter feud was trivia worthy. Think my boards ranged in the area of 45 down to 38.

Round 4, 5's on 58(Palmer was a gimme for a golfer), 83(think that was a WAG confirmed by Islanders), 92(hit a 91/92 50/50), 04(educated WAG using the Olympic year theory). 4's on 67 from the North Stars and 76 Cincy over New York after being on 75 from the SB clue. Obviously Pippen traded had to be either 98 or 99, was on 98 until the final Olazabal clue for 2's. Seems as though I got 06 on the A.J. Hawk clue. Think all boxes were either 31 or 32 due to a couple of late changes, but while I can't currently remember all the relevant clues, by the last clue knew all 8 for certain.

Round 5, knew 3 of 5 relievers(BAL, DET, STL), missed the 50/50 on the other two. Knew 99 for Edwards and 20 for Logano, missed the other three. Knew Romario and logic led to nailing the other soccer players. No trouble with older players or SB MVP's. 46 on all boxes.

I always enjoy the challenge of this, plus my top box finished higher than my average! Same with the two games of CD beforehand. No, I have no plans to play 6 boxes solo tonight for SD.

Congrats to JETHRO and company for winning the nation. I did threaten to state I fed him the answers early..... :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:02 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

TCHCNB wrote:
Gotta say right off the bat that I like the Picture Round in the last two weeks going with old baseball. Dizzy Dean last week and Lou Gehrig this week. Very nice.

And Mickey Mantle on July 23rd

I also like the idea of one athlete from bygone days in the picture round, but three straight baseball players seems a little absurd. Surely BT realizes there were other sports being played before 1959?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:
Gotta say right off the bat that I like the Picture Round in the last two weeks going with old baseball. Dizzy Dean last week and Lou Gehrig this week. Very nice.

And Mickey Mantle on July 23rd

I also like the idea of one athlete from bygone days in the picture round, but three straight baseball players seems a little absurd. Surely BT realizes there were other sports being played before 1959?

Agreed. Would also like to see this recent trend of one "old time" athlete in picture round continue. Doesnt have to be baseball but I wouldnt complain if it were. Older baseball is reasonably strong topic for me, nowhere near Spotes's level to be sure but I wouldnt miss too many of those. Hopefully though we can get some older basketball, football, boxing, olympics in there as well. Wouldnt bother me if there were no hockey though!! :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:14 pm 
Himself Fodder

Good luck on recognizing athletes like Harry Vardon and William Renshaw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:20 pm 
Moons of Uranus

-BO- wrote:
Round 3, with 5 boxes it's obviously impossible to get 5's across the board even on known questions

No, it's not. :)

Nice going in finishing ahead of my five.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

megumi wrote:
-BO- wrote:
Round 3, with 5 boxes it's obviously impossible to get 5's across the board even on known questions

No, it's not. :).

We're Not Worthy! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:

I'll overlook your sacrilege given your upbringing in deepest, darkest Canuckistan... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

No problem.
Vardon looks just like Stephen Dillane. :D

I think the questions might smooth the road a touch for the better players.
It would certainly be no different than questions about any current hockey or soccer players where the picture means less than nothing to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:09 pm 
Himself Fodder

spotes wrote:
-BO- wrote:

No problem.

Forbes must have done an article on the historical inaccuracies of that movie. Right Hans? Bubby?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
spotes wrote:
-BO- wrote:

No problem.

Forbes must have done an article on the historical inaccuracies of that movie. Right Hans? Bubby?!

Hollywood would never lie to me!
They DO use PacBell payphones at Dulles International.
Oops...wrong movie... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:56 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

spotes wrote:
Overlooking whom the quote was attributed to . . .
I'll overlook your sacrilege given your upbringing in deepest, darkest Canuckistan... :mrgreen:

I think you're mistaking Calgary for Kaladar ;)

There's plenty of recognizable, ancient hockey players. Howe, Orr, Richard, Mahovlich, Mikita, Jagr :D
Maybe even Eddie Shack, as seen in this famous image

(And 1 . . . Who is the Seal giving Shack the piggyback ride?)

C'mon, it's not like I'm asking for ProFiles on Barbara Ann Scott, Normie Kwong or the Richardson rink - though any of those would be nifty!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:01 pm 
Centenarian

pengwn wrote:

Saskatchewan's Gerry Ehman! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 pm 
U > 100 * 2

-BO- wrote:

Congrats to JETHRO and company for winning the nation. I did threaten to state I fed him the answers early..... :D

Hey, thanks!

We had our best score since EGGMAN passed, I believe...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:
pengwn wrote:

Saskatchewan's Gerry Ehman! :)

Tom!
How you been, you ol' war horse?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:33 pm 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:

Tom! How you been, you ol' war horse?

I've been in hiding - and I'm going back into hiding. That Eddie Shack question was just too tempting. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

TomD wrote:
spotes wrote:

Tom! How you been, you ol' war horse?

I've been in hiding - and I'm going back into hiding. That Eddie Shack question was just too tempting. :)

Well, glad to know you're still alive :)

I wonder if I can think of trivia questions that MaryC and Wheelie would consider irresistible