New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East - 8/13/12
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:15 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I drive down to University BWW to meet up with STATS (DJ) and HUTCH (David)...who has brought the young SIQ jedi-in-training SHUA (Joshua). RUEZIM (Gary) is nowhere to be found. :shock: L PATO (Jorge) has joined us for a game of SIQ on his travels. Always nice meeting other BT players. In honor of L PATO's visit and since I had a gift card...I picked up the beer tab for the night. Talking to L PATO about his krewe...HUNK and TPG are welcome to join us anytime they want. KENDO did not make the list though. :lol: Seriously...anyone is welcome to join us if they want :)

First round starts and HUTCH nails Reid Priddy and volleyball...and the rest of the round goes smoothly....30/30.

Second round starts...and I start out on Chris Johnson, but am quickly corrected by STATS, L PATO, and HUTCH to Earl Campbell...4.9/5...and I'm already bringing the team down. :shock: Or was it the BWW lag?? STATS starts naming stuff off about Earl...Tyler Rose...5/5. Hockey players comes up....1 and 5 are goalies...Oilers jersey...I finally say Dustin Penner to salvage 3.1/5. Who'd he start with? I say I think it's Anaheim. Bingo...5/5. David Wright and an educated guess on his high school was in Virginia for 5's. 28/30 for the round...58/60 for the game.

Round 3 starts...Texas Rangers, Jeff Gordon, Arizona Cardinals, Keegan Bradley all go smoothly for 5's. STATS gets Cincinnati Reds for us...4.8/5. Penn State and Usain Bolt are both 5's. NL POTM? Double C's in the last name? No clue...and I think it's either L PATO or STATS (could have been HUTCH) saves us with Andrew McCutchen...1.5/5. Cleveland Browns and Andy Murray end the round with 5's. 46.3/50 for the round...104.3/110 for the game.

Round 4 starts slow as STATS confirms 1993 on the Joe Carter clue (I think I was on 1994)...3/5. 1973 is 1.5/5 as I was on 1974 the whole way. 2005 was 5/5. 1962 was only 0.5/5 as STATS said 1963...L PATO says 1964...so I was moving around. 2000 was 2/5 as I was on 2002 (thanks STATS), but L PATO was on 2000 the whole way. Nice call sir! 1956 was 4/5 as I was on 1958 until L PATO straightened me out. 2003 is 2/5 as I was on 2004 until STATS corrects me. 1988 was 5/5 (I think STATS and L PATO both said it). 23/40 for the round...127.3 for the game.

Round 5...2011 team with their kicker? Dan Bailey almost gets us...but we get it in time...12/12. Olympic Gold Medalist Sprinters with their names? 6/12 as we switch Tolan and Morrow. NHL team with player started with? Easy 12 points even though Jarome Iginala started with Dallas not Calgary. School with Heisman? STATS and L PATO nail this one...12/12. Player with the year they debuted? We switched Rollins and Beltran....though this is where I went 1996 on Abreu, while L PATO said 1998. I was adamant that Abreu wasn't 1998 as the then Devil Rays traded him to the Phillies for Kevin Stocker in 1998...and I knew he was already in the majors by then. L PATO said something about he was on F'n Abreu...or something like that. Like Toby Keith says...that was beers ago. :lol: With getting the 2 points on Abreu on 1998, I jumped in front of L PATO for the game win. Sorry buddy...but hey...I bought the beers :D

Waiting for the leaderboard to come up...HUTCH says we're 2nd or 3rd. L PATO says 3rd or 4th. STATS says 2nd. I say 5th, and HUTCH looks at me like I'm crazy and is going to tackle me (flashbacks from his college days??). I say you know I always go low...fine...I'll say 3rd. :P Leaderboard comes up...and we sweep the #1 spots :o We'll take it though!

Congrats to the usual suspects...RO, SPOTES, SAKIC, MONARC, BLJAYS, BEERMN, NOBODY, BUG, HUNK, UOWEME, NDIRSH, and anyone else I missed. Usual locations up there too: Walshs Bar, 86th St., Slapshotz, Underdog, Hooters of Tallahassee, JP Shakers, Mad River, Broken Barrel, Hooters of Springfield, Quaker Steak Middleton, Mulligan's, Teasers, The Arena, Fab Ferns, End Zone, Friendly Confines Lake Mary, the few BWWs, and anyone else I missed.

HUTCH sticks around for one game of Countdown, and we continue talking about trivia and what not. Of course...first question the infamous BWW lag gets everyone's box except mine (and maybe STATS?). I think 3 of our boxes got 914 on it...including L PATO. Dang lag!!! :evil: Coming down to the last question...I go with HUTCH on Kazakhstan (I think) and get my first CD perfecto. Of course...had a lot of help from L PATO and STATS and HUTCH. To celebrate...let's have another round of beer! I finally talk the manager into a free round for our SIQ victory at this point.

I'll do the west summary when it's up...see y'all next week!

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East - 8/13/12
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:57 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congratulations UCFHCY to you and your team for the #1 individual and bar ranking. I last texted Jorge (L Pato) Saturday night and he said he was on his way to Ft. Myers so I didn't know if he'd be joining you this or next Monday.

Ken (Kendo) made it to Boca Raton Saturday so I'm covering his, SLAM, and SCOTS boxes and Richard (TPG) and Arthur as himself who is now used to coming out Monday for the Smartest Bar game are it. We wonder with the time change of Sports IQ in September back to 7:30 and with QB1 afterwards how the Smartest Bar (SIX) game fits into the Monday night schedule.

My board:

Round 1) 27/30. Naturally with L Pato not there I miss a basketball question (Monta Ellis)

Round 2) 18.5/30. Why do I not pick Tyler Rose for Earl Campbell? I turn on Sportscenter when I get home and there he is. Late on NHL though Arthur and I nail Anaheim.

Round 3) 45.6/50. It took awhile for Andrew McCutchen to sink in.

Round 4) 36/40. Our best round in a while. Maybe a 3.0 and a couple of 4.0's.

At this point I'm feeling decent thinking even a ho-hum matching round gets me 170 something but then as John Madden would say here comes the matching round and BAM!

Round 5) 26/60. I go 2, 6, 12, 6, 0. I only know Dan Carpenter was the Dolphins kicker and can't purge pre-2011 teams from my memory bank. I was thinking last year's team records might be a question but only in Round 1 (Carolina 6-10)
Flip-flopping NHL players with their teams though our resident Canadian Arthur actually went 12/12. You missed it Jorge.
Heisman players and their schools was my only 12/12 and I flip-flop a couple of sprinters. I'm waiting on Richard for the last question and he's unsure and I can't put together educated guesses and I whiff for a 152.1 total. As I always say before the matching round either you know it or you don't and tonight I didn't. A well written, challenging, and deeper than usual game I thought. I was thinking we may have made the top 10 so we'll take #6 for tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:44 am 
Centenarian

hard to tell whether I was glad I was on the way to the Vegas airport and not at home playing this week (spotes ghostplayed gavv this time :) . Back to the grind next monday!

gavv

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:25 pm 
Centenarian

Should be more than estatic with the pair of Bobby Orr's last night ( #8 indiv. this morn), but just feel as if I missed an extremely rare opportunity for a medal. These games loaded with questions up my alley (hockey anyone?) don't happen often...

Had "62" in year round, until that voice in my head told me Clemens was born in 1964 instead. Also knew the Heisman winners, but panicked - and went with LSU for Beban... full well knowing Billy Cannon was left.. :cry: We also blew the kickers - going Kasay right away for Carolina... d'ooh.

Congrats to those ahead of us...we'll try not to fall back too far next week.... :roll: ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:39 pm 
Phosphorus

Our part-time participant at our monday night table, Gary (RUEZIM) was a no-show for last night's event. So we took a page from the Yankees' playbook and added L PATO in his place. It was Gary's loss as our team took first place and Bradley (UCFHCY) picked up an individual gold medal as well.

Round 1 - 30/30 (credit to HUTCH for Reid Priddy - I knew he was an Olympian but couldn't remember which sport)
Round 2 - 26.9/30 - I do remember precalling Tyler Rose, but I think that's almost the only thing I said all game. Big credit to UCFHCY for giving us Dustin Penner. It led us to a good score in the round we usually screw up.
Round 3 - 46.8/50 - I did not give them Andrew McCutchen, probably was L PATO, who I think was a Dustin Penner answer away from another gold medal. I'm at 103.7 so far and feeling good about our chances.
Round 4 - 24.7/40 - I swear I didn't talk about Fight Club! A disappointing round on a day that we were strong enough to post a big score. I did insist on 2003 after Josh Beckett but that only got us 3 points anyway. Not enough 5 pointers in that round for my liking. Somehow my 128.4 takes over the lead at the table as UCFHCY was slow on Beckett and L PATO hadn't overcome the entire Dustin Penner deficit yet. So I guess it's my game to win or lose.
UCFHCY wrote:
Round 5...2011 team with their kicker? Dan Bailey almost gets us...but we get it in time...12/12.
Well, almost all of us. Damn you Gary for not showing up tonight!!! :evil: I had John Kasay on the wrong team at first and didn't get it switched back in time so I got 8/12 and a quick trip to 5th place at the table. Another missed chance with baseball players means only 42/60 for the round and a 170.4 total.
All in all, it was a fun evening of sports and beer. Many thanks to L PATO for making the trip to come and see us at University Park and help us to a win last night. You are most welcome any time you are in our area. You can even bring KENDO, too. :mrgreen:
Thanks Brad for all the beer you bought. When I saw my tab had no beer on it, I actually thought our waitress was hitting on me but you buying me beer is ok too. Your calls on Penner and Bobby Abreu earned you a well-deserved title tonight.
Also, nice to see Slap-Shotz and SAKIC up on the leaderboard. I don't know them yet, but future travel plans might include my college roommate's house in North Easton and a chance to get to meet them on a Monday night.
Finally, Gary (RUEZIM) will be co-hosting the Sirius XM fantasy football show tonight from 7 to 10pm eastern time as he won their championship last season. Feel free to call and heckle him for not showing up for Sports IQ last night and be sure to ask him why a man from Boston who now lives in Florida is a Raiders fan. :o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
-BO- wrote:
Good luck on recognizing athletes like Harry Vardon and William Renshaw.

It would certainly be no different than questions about any current hockey or soccer players where the picture means less than nothing to me.

And right on cue, I present... Mr. Dustin Penner... :(

Hit the wrong button on A-Rod and it cost me a gold medal.
I knew there was some reason that I never liked that guy.
(Well, that and the fact that he tries to knock the ball out of pitchers' gloves along the first base line by swinging like an eleven-year-old girl... :mrgreen: )

R1) 27/30 in the first round. Shock! Missed the jersey # question. Questions about what brand of shoes athletes wear or who does their hair are as meaningful as jersey number questions. I'll just never understand. :(
R2) 23.4
Hammered by Penner q. WAGged the follow-up for 3.4.
Got Campbell for easy 10. Lamented loss of STC while waiting for next question...
Knew Wright and WAGged the follow-up for 10.
R3) 49.4
Bled on McCutchen
R4)28.0
Switched off correct 1973, lost 5 points; switched off correct 2003, lost five points, (hmmm...I'm sensing some sort of pattern here...)
Lost a point on 2005 and 1993. Got 1956, 1962, 2000(Mike with the call) and 1988 for full pull.
R5) 46.0
Kickers for 12.0
Sprinters; also swapped Tolan and Morrow for 6.0. You see the name Tolan, darn it, you think Bobby Tolan! Don't know much about him other than he led the league in SBs in the early 70's. I'd wager dollars to donuts that the writer of that SIQ game has no clue and that name combo was completely coincidental.
Tapdanced through hockey minefield for 12.0. The problem arising is our lowering team score. I'm barely getting my WAGs entered in time costing my back two GAVV boards 8 points over two categories and Mike doesn't go with my answers enough and is losing big ground to my scores. So I told him "Gosh, Mike, maybe you'd listen more if you had one of the better ranked players in this game sitting next to you." :twisted: Then I remember that it was hockey and suspect that he's probably correct in thinking that I may, indeed, have been full of crap. :mrgreen:
Heisman winners...yawn...
When the question came up about baseball careers starting, I tempered my expectations and, as usual, was rewarded with modern stuff.
Completely buggered this round by thinking of the wrong year in play for Beltran which was followed by mishitting some other answer instead of A-Rod for 1994. sigh...I'm an idiot. :( Got 4.0 on last question dropping from first nationally to fourth and, quite frankly, I'm surprised to still be that high.

My gift to you UCFHCY. "You...you've earned it." :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:29 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I think she was! :shock:

STATS wrote:
When I saw my tab had no beer on it, I actually thought our waitress was hitting on me

I like gifts like that...keep them coming! :lol: :P

spotes wrote:
My gift to you UCFHCY. "You...you've earned it." :mrgreen: