Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ ending 9/3?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:
spotes wrote:
I'm going to venture a guess that, given its name, The Pulse is all current event sports questions. This would accomplish two long standing dreams of BT sports game writers:
1. It will only take a single glance of the week's sports results and a whopping 10 minutes to construct a game. These people want to put as little time as possible into these games. A brush with the editing from practically any premium game over the last year should confirm this. (And it's also the real reason they chose SIQ over STC last year, BO).
2. Their abject lack of sports knowledge has been all but removed from the equation for game construction. The only thing they need to do now is not get a paper cut turning the pages of USA Today or whatever. (I know. I know. What's a newspaper, grandpa?)

Spotes, your words are hurtful. I'm taking the bus and you will *not* see me at the pancake social tomorrow! :)

Sweet! More pancakes for me!
Are you writing SIQ, Tommy?
Honestly, I wasn't sure if you were even still with BT after the latest round of scorched earth policy.
Personally, with a couple of glaring exceptions, I think SIQ and STC have been the most consistently well-written (and much more importantly, accurate) premiums the last few years.
The point that I was trying to make is that this type of game clearly makes the necessity of having a "sports" game writer a thing of the past. Literally any hominid could walk in off of the street and put this type of game together, My "NTN monkeys" avatars over the years are starting to look less like campy homage and more like keen insight into the future... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
So yeah, I don't need 140 characters to express my overall opinion of this latest change. Half a dozen letters and my avatar will do

FPULSE :x

Hells bells, fpngwn, you could have put just a lil more into that, as in...

FPULSE

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:29 pm 
Himself Fodder

TCHCNB wrote:
Yes BO Im familiar with the commercial but waht does it have to do with this topic????

TomD for many years wrote the sports games, and I believe still does. So SPOTES was sorta talking to him when discussing the ease of writing a current events sports game. It was a good and humorous reply.

And I agree with SPOTES in that the sports games have been a rock in terms of difficulty level and errors over the years. One of the few things to remain constant in the BT world. And I particularly enjoy the barbs periodically thrown towards my Mizzou Tigers over the years. I swear loudly whenever they appear, but are damn funny nonetheless. "It must really suck to be a Mizzou fan" was an instant classic. Still smarting a bit over the Mizzou distractor two weeks ago in the question about where Lou Gehrig went to college.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
And I particularly enjoy the barbs periodically thrown towards my Mizzou Tigers over the years. I swear loudly whenever they appear, but are damn funny nonetheless. "It must really suck to be a Mizzou fan" was an instant classic. Still smarting a bit over the Mizzou distractor two weeks ago in the question about where Lou Gehrig went to college.

Now, now...don't let them get you... Image

DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN... Image

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:44 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I apologize for coming across a but snippy in a couple of posts last evening. I typically attempt to maintain above average decorum and civility in the forums and didnt mean to lose that. Like I mentioned I had been stewing about this Pulse business all afternoon. Additionally was on my 3rd glass of wine at the time and was maybe feeling a bit feisty. I will endeavor not to let BTs endless stream of ridiculous decisions get under my skin like that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 am 
Lord of Scaratings

spotes wrote:
I'm going to venture a guess that, given its name, The Pulse is all current event sports questions. This would accomplish two long standing dreams of BT sports game writers:
1. It will only take a single glance of the week's sports results and a whopping 10 minutes to construct a game. These people want to put as little time as possible into these games. A brush with the editing from practically any premium game over the last year should confirm this. (And it's also the real reason they chose SIQ over STC last year, BO).
2. Their abject lack of sports knowledge has been all but removed from the equation for game construction. The only thing they need to do now is not get a paper cut turning the pages of USA Today or whatever. (I know. I know. What's a newspaper, grandpa?)

Maybe I'm wrong.
It's happened once or twice before. :mrgreen:

I'll endeavor to reserve judgment until I actually play this game.
Maybe they'll really wow us with all of the bells and whistles that BO loves so much... :P

Actually, with thousands and thousands of historical sport questions in a relational database one would think you could generate endless SIQ / STC type games without a writer.

I could. ( I actually did that in the late 80s for PCs using Clipper86).

Current sports would require new questions for the database, with, being topical, most of which would never move to the permanant database (think expire on date).

If they truly draft the entire premium game "by hand", including distractors, that would be a real waste of a database.

I could see a review and editing procedure of pregenerated proforma games, but to create a fresh premium game from scratch every night seems anachronistic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:01 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TCHCNB wrote:
I apologize for coming across a but snippy in a couple of posts last evening. I typically attempt to maintain above average decorum and civility in the forums and didnt mean to lose that. Like I mentioned I had been stewing about this Pulse business all afternoon. Additionally was on my 3rd glass of wine at the time and was maybe feeling a bit feisty. I will endeavor not to let BTs endless stream of ridiculous decisions get under my skin like that.

Nuts. Nothing for which to apologize. What the fuck is NTN Buzztime going to do to you, take away your precious P+ points, badges, and medals? :roll: :lol:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:59 am 
Lord of Scaratings

liljol wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:

Nuts. Nothing for which to apologize. What the fuck is NTN Buzztime going to do to you, take away your precious P+ points, badges, and medals? :roll: :lol:

They could take away his daily email of how many badges he earned yesterday.

After all, he is on fire !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:01 am 
Himself Fodder

TCHCNB wrote:

No worries at all, we're all rightfully pissed about this blatant kick in the nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hutch wrote:
The pulse is just glorified Countdown for sports with 30 questions! What a rip! :evil:

EGADS!!!

HUTCH, nice friggin' tarpon!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Delete: duplicate post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:51 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Looks like someone at NTN Buzztime didn't like my post about FPULSE on their Buzztime The Season FB page, which went something like this:

"As a long time (and, apparently [along with others] *godforsaken*) player, I find this planned de-evolution of NTN Buzztime sports trivia games inexplicable."

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:51 pm 
Centenarian

Absolutely pathetic!! :roll: Two nights of sports trivia...down to one...and now none!! The Pulse should be called Abused News Sports - the longtime players being the ones abused!! If Tom D wrote a sports question (Buzztime "2" Channel), and no one saw it.... :x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TCHCNB wrote:

Decorum, schmecorum speak your mind, or how you feel you can't go wrong. On that note, I can't believe we will now have zero hours of Sports Trivia, Fuckfuckfuck..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Looks like The Pulse debuted early tonight, although that just completed game was a Blur to me ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
Looks like The Pulse debuted early tonight, although that just completed game was a Blur to me ;)

When did it aired??

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:26 am 
Pythagorus' First

tiefly wrote:
Hutch wrote:
The pulse is just glorified Countdown for sports with 30 questions! What a rip! :evil:

EGADS!!!

HUTCH, nice friggin' tarpon!

Thanks tiefly! The tarpon capital of the world gets it done every time! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:11 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Wish Buzztime would come out with the Buzztime Ocho Channel and make it for all of us "old" folks who have gotten rid of their acne and braces. I've been playing more and more internet trivia and less Buzztime lately. It just seems as I can find questions that better fit my interest there. The only really that pulls me back to Buzztime is the competition from those I've met through sites like this, but even that has been split in half! I had preferred STC to SIQ, but still enjoyed the game.

Anyways... I think I'll give the Buzztime CEO a call so he can tell me what I "really" want for lunch today. I hope he knows I'm allergic to shellfish!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:55 am 
Himself Fodder

liljol wrote:
-BO- wrote:
And I particularly enjoy the barbs periodically thrown towards my Mizzou Tigers over the years. I swear loudly whenever they appear, but are damn funny nonetheless. "It must really suck to be a Mizzou fan" was an instant classic. Still smarting a bit over the Mizzou distractor two weeks ago in the question about where Lou Gehrig went to college.

Pretty prophetic there lil buddy.

TomD finished it off in style tonight. Awesomely funny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:30 am 
Lord of Scaratings

-BO- wrote:
liljol wrote:
-BO- wrote:

Pretty prophetic there lil buddy.

TomD finished it off in style tonight. Awesomely funny.

I though about you when I saw the 5th down question.