New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East - 8/27/12
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:33 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Thanks to the RNC and Hurricane Isaac, I'm taking the long way home by going over the Sunshine Skyway bridge (great view btw). Good news is it's closer to University BWW...so I get there about 5:00. STATS (DJ) joins me shortly thereafter as he's been on vacation for what seems like forever. HUTCH (David) joins us about 6:45 and we settle in to our discussion of the demise of SIQ. RUEZIM (Gary) got a call about our plans at 12:00, but not surprisingly, he doesn't respond and he doesn't show. I text L PATO to see if he's headed back to Tally yet, or is still down South. He's still down South, but is tied up on a beach enjoying adult beverages. Enjoy the drinks...we'll see what we can do tonight.

First round is going smoothly until Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game. STATS goes 1963. HUTCH agrees. 1962 is the answer...a little early to be driving that bus don't ya think? :mrgreen: Logan Tom comes up and HUTCH says Volleyball...and outside hitter for the U.S. team. OK...maybe it's just STATS driving the bus now. 27/30.

Second round starts...Donald Driver...5/5. What round was he drafted? I go I think 3rd...or was it 7th? After thinking about it...HUTCH goes 7th round...salvaging 2.2 on the switch. Stever Carlton...3.8/5 as I went away from HUTCH and STATS who got it for 5. How many wins? I say 324? 329 is up there...we go for 5/5. NASCAR driver into the Hall of Fame? I say it's either Rusty or Darrell. Darrell's up there...5/5. Short track listed? Thanks for the softball BT...as they were just there...Bristol for 5/5. 26/30 for the round...53/60 for the game.

Round 3 starts...Felix Hernandez 5/5, Buffalo Bills 5/5, Greg Biffle 5/5, Houston Astros 5/5, Sergio Garcia 5/5. Who's Vanderbilt playing? STATS goes South Carolina as he saw it as an opening week upset possibility on the four letter network. 5/5. Kobe Bryant...another STATS call 5/5. Jake Locker? I say Tennessee Titans...5/5. Bradley Wiggins...STATS and HUTCH get the credit as I had forgotten already...5/5. Last question? Could they really ask 3 baseball questions? Mr. All-Star game MVP hasn't come up yet? Final question...Melky Cabrera....5/5. 50/50 for the round...103/110 for the game.

Round 4...1996 and 2007 were 5's. 1990 was 3/5 as I think I was on 1994 to start with. 1961 was all STATS on the Heisman clue...5/5. 2002 was another STATS 5 pointer as he got it on the World Series winner. HUTCH agrees on the year. 1986 was only 3/5 as we were on 1985. 2004 was 4/5 as we were on 2002 til STATS got us there. 1978 was only 1/5 as we were on 1978 ...thanks STATS...but I guess you made up for it with the rest of the round :D 31/40 for the round...134/150 for the game.

Last round...match the NHL team with it's Stanley Cup winning goalie? Gimme...12/12. NFL TE on team in 2011? Another gimmie...12/12. First and Last Name of boxers? We switch the last two...Chalky Wright and Dan Lopez (if my notes are correct)...6/12. No hitter pitched? We swithc Carlton and Bushy (my notes are really bad now on the names)...6/12. NBA team with record in 2012? We switch the Celtics and the Hawks...6/12. I called the Hawks...so it looks like I'm driving the bus for the next week. Sorry guys...might have just cost us a medal. 42/60 for the round...176 for the game.

Waiting for the rankings to come up...HUTCH and STATS both said we'd be 3rd. I said 5th...and luckily...didn't get the "What you talkin' 'bout Willis?!" stare from HUTCH. Rankings come up...and we're # 1 :o And STATS takes the number 1 individual spot. Nicely done sir...nicely done! I'll go back to the manager and finish my quest of a free round of drinks for being # 1. Congrats to the usual suspects: DUKE, SPOTES, CVAVARA, BLJAYS, TNC, BO, MEGUMI, MAAAAA, SAKIC, JETHRO, JIMBOB, HUNK, and anyone else I missed.

Congrats to the usual locations: 86th St, Primetime, Stadium Cafe, Mad River, Walshs, Slapshotz, Hooters of Springfield, Hooters of Tallahassee, JP Shakers, Quaker Steak Middleton, End Zone, The Arena, and anyone else I missed.

I'll check the West results once they're up. See you next week for the SIQ swan song. :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East - 8/27/12
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:35 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

172 for me last night.

Round 1 - 30/30

Round 2 - 24/30. 4.1 on Donald Driver. Did not know the round he was drafted in. I was sitting on 5th. 9.9/10 Steve Carlton. 10/10 Darrell Waltrip.

Round 3 - 50/50.

Round 4 - 28/40

Round 5 40/60.

Should be able to make it next week for the last one. Still cant quite comprehend the concept of a totally "current events" sports trivia game. Will give it a shot a couple times but seriously I could be done this time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:54 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congratulations to you and your team UCFHCY for a stellar showing last night. I also texted L Pato Sunday night and he was still in Ft. Myers riding out Isaac's winds.

I joined Arthur as himself at Hooter's in Tallahassee and Eric (SLAM) and his wife Kim (SCOTS) who are bummed they cannot go to Biloxi, MS but "we're just obeying evacuation orders" Eric says as he and Kim finish off their last pitcher. Ken (KENDO) still has issues with his back and Richard (TPG) is involved with his NFL Fantasy Draft so we're as good as it gets.

My board:

Round 1) 27/30. Ray Rice wore #27, not #34. Who gets to see the Ravens offense that often anyway?

During the break there's a commercial with a guy wearing a beard and green outfit herding sheep. We all wonder how Matt
(Zippy) fared in his New Orleans "Jeopardy" audition. (Inside joke) Surely he's left New Orleans by now. Be safe if you haven't.

Round 2) 14.5/30. I don't brief myself on 300 game winners before coming out and it costs me on Steve Carlton.
We educatedly guessed fifth round for Donald Driver and it's seventh. We only get Darrell Waltrip after waffling about Sterling Marlin and Bristol after waffling about Richmond.

Round 3) 43.6/50. The Tour de France winner leaves me staring blankly. Bradley Wiggins won last month, not last week!

Round 4) 33/40. We start off 25/25 but invariably begin the next three questions a year off or so.

Round 5) I go 8, 12, 8, 6, 2 for 36/60 and a 154.1 total. As Kendo would say "this one's not going on the resume".
I don't trust Billy Smith as Islanders and also select him for Rangers to get the 8. How's an N.C. boy in Tallahassee supposed to know hockey? Educatedly guess correctly on wide receivers (hey it's only preseason still). I can't associate the fighters names quickly enough and flip-flop Lopez and Buchanan. Jorge (L Pato) is sorely missed on 2011 NBA teams records. Either you know it or you don't and I didn't.
Don't forget bonus sports with TOPIX on Thursday and 2012 Olympics in Review. With my Dad possibly coming to visit over Labor Day Weekend don't know if I'll be there for the finale or not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:36 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Thanks for the reminder! I'll be at BWW for a fantasy football draft...so I'll be playing. Probably my second or third game of Topix since FSPLIT.

Hunk wrote:
Don't forget bonus sports with TOPIX on Thursday and 2012 Olympics in Review. With my Dad possibly coming to visit over Labor Day Weekend don't know if I'll be there for the finale or not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:56 pm 
Pythagorus' First

Well done Brad! Not sure that Stats got the Kobe question :D, but we will give him the credit anyway!

I can't believe it is coming to an end next week! Whatever will we do on Mondays :o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:33 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I guess that's what I get for avoiding the RNC traffic and getting there early :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hutch wrote:
Well done Brad! Not sure that Stats got the Kobe question :D, but we will give him the credit anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:43 pm 
Phosphorus

Hutch wrote:
Well done Brad! Not sure that Stats got the Kobe question , but we will give him the credit anyway

I did NOT get the Kobe question right for the table. I am more of a sports history guy than a current events/gossip guy. It's a good thing that our sports game isn't only just about current events because I don't care which NBA players are banging the Kardashians. Oh wait. Damn! :x
Despite the bad news of the departure of Sports IQ, I was excited about joining UCFHCY and HUTCH to play this evening's game. As always, Sports IQ is my favorite hour of the week.
This week went better than I expected. Even with 2 key mistakes about years (Wilt's 100 point game in the 1st round and, even worse, missing both the Steve Cauthen AND Washington over Seattle NBA year because I got on 77 and didn't think it through), I played well enough in the rest of the game to stand on top of the podium at the end. And even without our visiting friend L PATO this week, our table managed to get the top bar honors as well, just to show that we really could. I think the key decision of the evening was between rounds 2 and 3, when HUTCH and I took 1 box apiece away from UCFHCY (the Octopus), leaving him with only 4 boxes and a much better chance to input letters in round 3. Or maybe it was just calling out a lot of right answers. :D
Brad, great job getting the round of beers for the sweep of #1 scores. If I can win another gold medal, I want BWW to play my anthem "Vapourtrail" over the PA system.

Anyway, this was my board:

Round 1 27/30 - missed on Wilt's 100 point game (knew there were a 3 in that date somewhere).

Round 2 - 27.2/30 - Big call by HUTCH on Donald Driver and good call by UCFHCY and me for believing him.

Round 3 - 50/50 - Don't ever remember being perfect in this round. Props to UCFHCY for Biffle and Kobe but South Carolina was mine (and I had the shirt on too).

Round 4 - 31/50 - Pretty good round with one error that I thought had cost me the chance to medal. Glad I was wrong about that. I love the 1st clue early year Heisman winners. At this point, I have 135.2 and the bar was about 132 which I thought could be winning. As long as we don't mess up the last round...

Round 5 - 42/60 - I guess it was good enough although we thought we blew it here. We got the 1st 2 questions right (NHL and NFL) but then limped home with 6 of 12 points on the last 3 (thought the Celts were seeded higher than the Hawks and forgot Busby on the Royals until it was too late).

Between my excellent teammates who drive 50 miles each to appear here, strong competition from sports fans like us, and a fun and challenging game that I look forward to each week, I thought this was a great night out. It always has been for us, win or lose, because of this specific game. I do not understand why Buzztime feels the need to change this and it makes me sad that they will. :( If anyone involved in the decision to remove Sports IQ is reading this, I ask you please, reconsider. STATS