New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East - 9/3/12
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:57 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Last game of SIQ...STATS (DJ), HUTCH (David), and I (Bradley) meet up at the University BWW for the swan song (Thanks for nothing Buzztime! :evil: ). Since it's a holiday, my girlfriend's idiot boss decides that it's not good business for a bar to be open, so he closes. Fortunately for us, this allows ANGIE (Angie) to join us for the farewell party. I text L PATO (Jorge) to see if he's still down South or has rejoined the Tallahassee krewe. He's still down South...but will not be joining us. Not sure what STATS did (bribe??), but RUEZIM (Gary) shows up to partake in the somber festivities.

Round 1 starts and is going smoothly...until the 1997 ROTY question. Pat Listach or Scott Rolen? We go Listach...and take our 0. STATS calls out Masters on Craig Wood (nicely done sir). 27/30 for the round and our discussion centers on the Brewers still being in the AL at the time...or at least that's what I say...not sure if my memory's gone...or Listach was a different year. Kudos to the nod to BO's Mizzou Tigers TomD! :)

Round 2 starts...who won 4 gold medals at the Olympics? STATS says Phelps...HUTCH says Bolt. I go Phelps and say Bolt only won 3 gold medals. 5/5. And 1? HUTCH (or was it STATS) says 22 medals. How many gold? 18...5/5. Former Hurricane player? Could be lots...but Warren Sapp it is. 5/5. And 1? What draft spot? Draft year? Played for Bucs and Raiders. Who'd he go to after leaving T.B.? Raiders it is...5/5. Babe Ruth...I think it was STATS...might have been HUTCH. 5/5. HUTCH says last team he was with was the Boston Braves. Will that be the And 1? Yes sir...thanks HUTCH...5/5. 30/30 for the round...57/60 for the game.

Round 3 starts. New Orleans interim coach? Joe Vitt? Nope...it's on the tip of my tongue...former Bucs assistant O-line coach...come on...who is it!!! See the first R and say Aaron Kromer...salvaging 4.7 for the group. Japan...5/5. NBA star had wrist surgery? HUTCH says Chris Paul (thank you kind sir)...5/5. Adrian Gonzalez...5/5. Denny won where? I go Bristol! What letters? B & O? Is this another nod to BO TomD? :lol: 5/5. Seattle Seahawks...5/5. Canadian Women's Open...5/5. HUTCH said they'd ask for the tournament name not the winner's name. Nicely done sir! Oregon Ducks, Roger Clemens, and Dallas Cowboys are all 5/5. Round was 50/50...106.7/110 for the game. Could Buzztime actually give us a softball the whole game as our SIQ swan song? We'll find out.

Round 4...1998 (STATS on Broncos/Packers SB)...5/5. 1970 was all STATS...5/5. 2003 is the first sign of trouble. I was on 2004...HUTCH says 2002...another clue goes by...I go back to 2004. It's 2003...0.5/5. That could hurt. 1965 gets us back on the right track...4/5. 2006 is 5/5...STATS gets it on the Tigers over the A's. 1999...gets me 0/5 as I was on 1996. That could really hurt. 1983 was 4/5 as STATS said 1983...but HUTCH and I said 1984...and quickly change to salvage points. 1922 was 5/5. STATS (I think) said it's early when 192x came up...so I went with 1922. 28.5/40 for the round...135.2 for the game. Could that round have done us in?

Round 5 starts...Horses with jockey? We are so slow on the first one...it doesn't register in time. Get 2 of the remaining 4 for a 4/12. Maybe HUTCH, STATS, or RUEZIM (if you register this week :D ) will chime in with what they were as I didn't write them down. NFL team with current coach? Gimme...12/12. NBA team with draft pick this year? Oh boy...I recognize a couple...can I phone a friend? HUTCH has 3 of them...are you sure? STATS...any ideas? Is that my phone ringing with my friend? Nope...but RUEZIM calmly matches each player to the team...12/12. Gotta luv life lines! Baseball team with last player to hit 50 home runs? A little slow to get to the Padres...but we get it in time...12/12. I think this is the question that HUTCH doesn't get the first one in time...and I jump back in front. Maybe it was the draft picks. Bowl game with school that won it last year? Hmmm...first one...is....is...is...too late...dang it! I get 3 of the remaining 4...think I used Oregon twice. 6/12. 46/60 for the round...181.2 for the game. And the winner is...RUEZIM...do what? He gets a 50 on the last round to edge me by 0.2. He says he went Utah on the Sun Bowl...but tried changing it...luckily for him (rat bastard) the change didn't take in time. Nice game sir! My second box (CANES...for my buddy James) only gets 8/12 on the NFL teams with current coach. Could those 4 points have doomed us as a bar?

Waiting for the rankings come up...straw poll has us in 2nd (HUTCH), 3rd (RUEZIM and me). What do you say STATS? "I'm an optimist...I say # 1!". As usual...the rankings take a while to come up...and we are...#1! Nice call STATS. I figured the horses or the bowls would have gotten us. Congrats to RUEZIM (Gary) on the individual win...and my esteemd SIQ team of STATS and HUTCH (thanks for allowing me to join the greatness that is). Last week I said I really want to win the final week of SIQ (Thanks for nothing Buzztime!!!). The swan song of SIQ...and we take the last two weeks individually and nationally. Great job guys...it's been a pleasure playing SIQ with you...just as we were rounding into form as a team.

Congrats to the usual cast of characters: ENZO, BIGDOG, ZIPPY, RO, BO, GAVV, D MOB, MONARC, EMBALM, SAKIC, SPIEGS, BADGER, L PATO, and anyone else I missed.

Congrats to the usual locations: West Park, Primetime, Hooters of Tallahassee, 86th St, Stadium Cafe, Mezzanine, Walshs, Slapshotz, BWW Ironton, Hooters of Springfield, BWW Woodridge, Mulligans, Anthony's on the Blvd, Teasers, Friendly Confines Lake Mary, the myriad of BWWs...and anyone else I missed. I'll check the west feed once it's up.

SIQ was a great game and TomD you did a great job on writing the questions. Hope you don't take my displeasure with Buzztime's decision to pull the game as anything personal towards you. My frustration is geared towards the higher ups that are clueless. That being said...BRING BACK SIQ!!!!!!! :D It was a fun ride...while it lasted.

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East - 9/3/12
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:27 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congratulations UCFHCY to you and your team for your strong finish and #1 individual and bar ranks these last few weeks.

At Hooter's of Tallahassee it's Ken (Kendo), Arthur as himself, and Matt (Zippy) back from his Jeopardy audition in New Orleans. I'm playing also for Richard (TPG) who is driving back from Huntsville, AL and SCOTS (Kim). Eric (SLAM), I'm giving you the night off.

My board:

Round 1) 24/30. Just bonehead gaffes on the last two questions.

Round 2) 27/30. What's this? A higher score for the second round than first? That never happens.

Round 3) 44/50. Aaron Kromer just doesn't register.

Round 4) 32.5/40. I can never remember if the Maxwell Award is the same year as the college season just played or the January the year after. We go 2004 instead of 2003 and it costs us 4.5.

Round 5) 40/60. I went 12, 12, 4, 8, 4 for a 167.5 total. They asked NFL drafted players and their teams two weeks after the draft. They wait three months after the NBA draft and two months before the season starts to include this question in the matching round. For the fourth or fifth time since last college Bowl Season ended we're asked to match the winners of or the city hosting Bowl Games. Every successive time I do worse. Next Sports game this week is Thursday night at 7, Saturdays in the South (SEC football trivia).

My wife and I celebrate our 18th anniversary this coming Monday and I'm thinking this will be the first Sunday or Monday in how many years I won't have played STC or SIQ? Next up is the Pulse. They resuscitated SIQ in February, 2011, maybe they can do it again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:17 am 
King or Queen Postalot

There's no West thread, so I'm going to invade here to offer my recollections on the last SIQ. Six or seven of us stuck around for it after Smartest Bar (which, on this night, we were not. My 54k and change ranks exactly at 50th percentile). Rembrandts is no sports trivia bar, and it's only because of S.B. SIX that we fielded a full quorum of players. You guys may laugh, but I'm happy to break 100 whenever I play this game

Floundered throughout the Coin Toss round, best was MADDOG with 8/10, I just beat the monkey with 6/10

The Phelps pair was the first time in a long time I've gotten the full 10 for a ProFile without a WAG. As soon as the pasty white wrist was in focus, nobody was on Usain Bolt anymore. I was on Warren Sapp until I heard JTN mutter "no", so I took a zero for not paying close attention. We did settle on Raiders after some delay. None of us seriously thought slugging percentage was a century-old statistic, so we bled again, but there could be no denying that was the Bambino. Both JTN and MADDOG were all over the Braves for the follow-up

Hunt-and-Peck Round: Thought it would be Aaron KrAmer, zero. Japan was an easy lay-up. Paul and Gonzalez were both realized after some bleeding. We had IL as our letters for Bristol, so anyone getting BO as their letters was a nifty coincidence. Seahawks took a second to remember. Lydia Ko winning the Canadian Open was pretty easy; as you might imagine, there was a fair bit of press about it here. JTN offered Oregon State, but as our first letter was the U, I was able to correct us to Ducks. Clemens and Cowboys gave us a strong finish to the round

We struggled mightily on the Date Rape round, and I was uncharacteristically bad on Olympics years. Tara Lipinski medal? Must be 1996, as I completely missed the word Skating in the clue. The only place you would've found enough ice to skate on at the Atlanta Olympics was in your concession stand Coke :lol: . And my apologies to the fine folks in Utah for calling the Turin Olympics as being 2002. That was an inexcusable miss :x . It was nice to take a trip in the WABAC machine, and have 1922 as the final Overtime Q. I just wish I had remembered the Senators weren't the Stanley Cup losers in 1924 (they won in 1920, '21, '23 and '27, so it was a toss-up between 2 and 4 for me). No, that was the Tigers of the WHL, from some podunk settlement somewhere in southern Alberta ;)

We knew Arcaro, but had to guess on the other jockeys. Most scored 2/5, I managed three. Slow on the Vikings coach, so only some of us got all five there. NBA draft picks? Happy to find one correct match and avoid getting a rock in the trick-or-treat bag. I believe we nailed the baseball home run hitters, memory's kinda foggy. We didn't do well on the bowl winners

JTN won the site with 132, and I managed 112.5 with the help. Rembrandts as a team showed sixth in the west, which is pretty damn good for us

Thank you to TomD for writing good, challenging SIQ games over the past few months. I haven't played many of them, but also big thanks to UCFHCY, HUNK et al for consistently recapping the games here, allowing me to see what I missed and realize how completely pedestrian a sports fan I am :mrgreen:

Farewell, Sports IQ. You shall be missed :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Was a little disappointed in the last round last night.
One final chance to give us some real sports trivia from days gone by and they close with this year's NBA draft picks and bowl games.
*sigh*
"Why did you sting me?"
"It's my nature."

So long, mostly boring new crap SIQ.
Hello, completely boring new crap Pulse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:04 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

spotes wrote:
One final chance to give us some real sports trivia from days gone by and they close with this year's NBA draft picks and bowl games.
*sigh*
"Why did you sting me?"
"It's my nature."

Hello, completely boring new crap Pulse

My sentiments exactly. RIP Sports IQ.

Would love to see STC resurrected. I suppose the odds of that happening are nil. Would accept ongoing SIQ for sure instead of what it looks like is coming with PULSE.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:48 pm 
Centenarian

TCHCNB wrote:
spotes wrote:
*sigh*
"Why did you sting me?"
"It's my nature."

Hello, completely boring new crap Pulse

My sentiments exactly. RIP Sports IQ.

Would love to see STC resurrected. I suppose the odds of that happening are nil. Would accept ongoing SIQ for sure instead of what it looks like is coming with PULSE.

i'd love to see a top 20 board on 9/17 of all FPULSEs...

gavv (err i mean max peck err I mean FPULSE)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:20 pm 
Phosphorus

A bittersweet evening of Sports IQ. Bitter in that Sports IQ is leaving us but sweet in that our team had a great night again this week with rookie phenom RUEZIM (Gary) joining the table to play and helping our team to the #1 score while taking individual honors himself and his first-ever gold medal. His big calls on the NBA drafted players and teams in the final round allowed him to earn his reward. And make no mistake about it. That was a gold medal that I wanted and just missed by a twitch of my finger. UCFHCY (Brad) and HUTCH (David) can say the same thing. As teammates, we were thrilled to win again this week. But all of us would gladly give back those wins if it could bring back Sports IQ in the future.
UCFHCY wrote:
SIQ was a great game and TomD you did a great job on writing the questions. Hope you don't take my displeasure with Buzztime's decision to pull the game as anything personal towards you. My frustration is geared towards the higher ups that are clueless. That being said...BRING BACK SIQ!!!!!!! It was a fun ride...while it lasted.
Agreed. Thanks, TomD. I thought it was cool that you could honor Bo with the 5th down question and to spell out his name in Bristol in the third round. Perhaps someday I may receive a similar tribute. So please tell your boss to bring this game back and I will root for Dustin Johnson to win a golf tournament.
pengwn wrote:
You guys may laugh, but I'm happy to break 100 whenever I play this game
No laughing here. Like golf, I like the idea that people like to play this game, high scores or not. I don't expect to become a leaderboard fixture in any other BT game, but I'll keep playing and I'll still have fun.
Hunk wrote:
My wife and I celebrate our 18th anniversary this coming Monday and I'm thinking this will be the first Sunday or Monday in how many years I won't have played STC or SIQ? Next up is the Pulse. They resuscitated SIQ in February, 2011, maybe they can do it again.
Hunk, congrats on the wedding anniversary. I can appreciate how difficult it is to find the right girl and to be able to stay with her for such a long time. I've seen how you compliment her on this site and I think that's great. What I also liked was our weekly battle to take down you guys and those guys up at 86th Street. Individually, I was motivated to chase down Spotes, Ro, and L Pato for the #1 ranking but, sadly, have run out of time. I can take comfort in that I got to be #1 for exactly one week, just like Tom Lehman.
UCFHCY wrote:
Congrats to RUEZIM (Gary) on the individual win...and my esteemd SIQ team of STATS and HUTCH (thanks for allowing me to join the greatness that is).
I would say that I did know some of the answers but the team became great with each person added. So pat yourself on the back for your valued contribution and hope that we can find another game to try to be great at as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:34 pm 
Himself Fodder

Hard to answer while rolling on the floor after the 5th down question. Laughter all around and I'm glad to have a text plan after the immediate bombardment. Greatness TomD.

Round 1, split Rolen

Round 2, no problems

Round 3, basically blew the Saints Q, ran the rest

Round 4, 98 easy Super Bowl, 70 educated guess that hit for 5, split 02,03 initially but switched to 04 on the Vijay clue as that is still the single season record on the PGA Tour. Turns out he led money in both 03 and 04. Split 64/65 on the Ali clue although the others went earlier. 06 on While Sox, knew 99 for Drury and no clue as to why. 83 was a gimme thanks to the rule of 66. No clue whatsoever on 22, but thought it a great year to end the game on.

Round 5, knew the two recent jockeys, found a way to screw up McCarron, 6/12. 6/12 on NBA draft picks. Fumbled Sun Bowl early, 6 or 8/12. No issues with NFL coaches and 50 HR's.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:12 am 
King or Queen Postalot

gavv wrote:
i'd love to see a top 20 board on 9/17 of all FPULSEs...

gavv (err i mean max peck err I mean FPULSE)

Hmm, I wonder how many other topically snarky handles are available

ANGINA, BYPASS, CLEAR, CPR, DOA, FLTLYN (flatline), ISCHMC, NOBEAT, RIPSIQ, STROKE . . .

Or maybe I'll be nice and play as THXTOM