New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Inaugural HallZ of FameZ GameZ
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:41 am 
Centenarian

Brother Tiefly, I wanted another reason to come back to Morgantown this year, but that looks like a non-starter.

Thus, I am proposing the inaugural HallZ of FamesZ GameZ, named after the site who will be our gracious host, StringZ and WingZ in Streetsboro, OH.

Chef Bill Thompson and wife Cindy are gracious trivia hosts (see the My Home Site thread), and they would love to have a trivia event at their new spacious location. Given proper word, they WILL have enough Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Yuengling, along with Great Lakes, to nourish our thirsty horde of nerds. They also carry high-end liquors that cost nearly as much per bottle as my first car.

We have a great site, and there is plenty of lodging nearby, although none of it is within stumbling distance (minimum 0.9 mile), but those logistics can be worked out. At StringZ, I was the beneficiary of a free ride to the hotel I wisely booked on New Year's Eve, and if we have enough critical mass, I'm sure something can be worked out.

Note that the owner, Chef Bill himself, gave me that ride. If there's enough interest, we can do shuttles.

Nearby are a Microtel (great bang for the buck, and we may be able to get sweet rates there), a Comfort inn (Up to Comfort Inn standards, but no HBO -- deals may be possible), a Holiday Inn Express, a Wingate, two Marriott properties, an Econo Lodge (not recommended) and an America's Best Value Inn (really not recommended).

In Northeast Ohio, we have several HallZ of Fame, including the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland (about 40 minutes from StringZ), the Pro Football Hall of Fame (about 40 minutes), the Polka Hall of Fame in Euclid (also about 40 minutes), and one thing this geek wants to visit but never has, the Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron (about 25 minutes). I think the Bowling Hall of Fame might also be here also.

If you've never been to Greater Cleveland, this may be the time to go. I included Sunday, September 30 in the proposal so visitors can hang out with the 'Boro (Streetsboro) Browns Backers, the fastest-growing club to support a crappy team run by morons. It's all about a good time, and let's make one happen. We have to start the GameZ early to get a game of Thursday Six in, as I really don't give a rat's ass about the entertainment games on Fri and Sat.

If there's enough interest, I'll get the ball rolling and get our Buzztime rep to start working on swag and extra PMs. I'll also get working on the hotel thing and the shuttle. The Fellowshippers will probably not show for the most part, but some of the crew from West Park have shown interest.

By the way, this will NOT be a "bash." Just a good time for all in early football season in the birthplace of professional football.
If you look at averages, I might be a third-round draft choice at best when selecting a trivia team.

Thus, the invitation is open to all. PM me here with any advice, express interest on this thread, and let's make the Inaugural HallZ of FameZ GameZ happen. I look forward to designing the T-shirts.

-- Bigdog216, the other white meat

Post subject: Re: Inaugural HallZ of FameZ GameZ
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thanks, BIGDOG, for trying to get this rolling. If it happens, I will endeavor to come. I might even be able to convince YELLER to come out of trivia retirement to put in an appearance, too.

A couple of minor friendly amendments: The National Inventors Hall of Fame, alas, has moved from Akron to Alexandria, VA, and the Bowling Hall of Fame is in Texas, I believe. But for those who are in to assassinated presidents, we are at the epicenter here, with Garfield's home up in Mentor and the McKinley Memorial in Canton. The National First Ladies Museum is also in Canton.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:10 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Count me in for a good Road Trip. I will have to bring the Mt. Carmel Stout and some "Red Solo Cups"

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:21 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I've been to the Bowling Hall of Fame ... in St. Louis.

--Ken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:43 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Too early to commit, but I might be able to come. If I do, I could help with shuttling.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

If the steelhead run is early, I could maybe make it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:03 pm 
Centenarian

I mentioned this modest proposal to Chef Bill on Easter Sunday, and he replied "If this happens, we're all in." StringZ had a total food coma buffet for the day.

I then mentioned their Thirsty Dog tap at their present location, and said "I met a guy in West Virginia last year, and played with him in Cincinnati later last year, who would try to kill a whole keg of Old Leghumper himself!"

Chef Bill knows that our band of geeks loves high-end beer, and will have plenty on hand if the HallZ of FameZ GameZ occur.

Thanks to ANON for his correction. Facts R Us. And, there's another thing I unintentionally omitted. Among the strip of hotels along OH 14 by the Turnpike is a Hampton Inn and Suites, in case anyone has hotel points they want to use.

As things progress, I may be opening Adobe InDesign for the T-shirts. I have an in for printing. More later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:43 pm 
Centenarian

Nice job putting this together BigDog!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:31 am 
Centenarian

Brandy —

This is still in the idea stage, but I'd love to have you and yours stop up for this good time, which will never declare itself as a bash. We would love to have you here, and you might find out Northeast Ohio is far different from Southwest Ohio.

I greatly appreciate your invite to Houston, but after 8 years of Dubya, I have no plans to go to Tejas anytime soon.

Speaking of ideas, the T's for this event may cost a li'l more than the ones for the bashes, as my idea is for hoodies, as it gets a li'l nippy in Northeast Ohio in late September.

We would be greatly honored to host you and yours, and everyone across North America who may join us for the Inaugural HallZ of FameZ GameZ.

— Bigdog216

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

bigdog216 wrote:
Brandy —

This is still in the idea stage, but I'd love to have you and yours stop up for this good time, which will never declare itself as a bash. We would love to have you here, and you might find out Northeast Ohio is far different from Southwest Ohio.

I greatly appreciate your invite to Houston, but after 8 years of Dubya, I have no plans to go to Tejas anytime soon.

Speaking of ideas, the T's for this event may cost a li'l more than the ones for the bashes, as my idea is for hoodies, as it gets a li'l nippy in Northeast Ohio in late September.

We would be greatly honored to host you and yours, and everyone across North America who may join us for the Inaugural HallZ of FameZ GameZ.

— Bigdog216

No hoodies for me. I already attract too much attention from my neighborhood watch committee.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:35 am 
Centenarian

I'm putting this proposal on hiatus. While the owners of StringZ and WingZ have been the greatest hosts any trivia team can hope to have, there's a logistical problem that cannot be overcome for a bash, get-together, open, or whatever you want to call it.

The new site of StringZ was originally built as Streetsboro Lanes, and its huge back room (the former bowling alley) boasts monitors that could fill many college fieldhouses. In other words, on Friday and Saturday nights, it's LOUD.

At West Park Station, we've played during karaoke and through live bands. That's nothing compared to the intrusion live bands at StringZ can generate, and no one can blame the great owners there for drawing at least 500 people in per weekend night compared to even the largest crew ever assembled for an NTN/Buzztime event. Depending on the City of Streetsboro's occupancy code, that former bowling alley could fit up to 1,000.

If there are no Friday and Saturday events, this would be doable, but a Tuesday through Thursday event would not be viable (we're not one percenters, thus we work) even though that's when the best games are held.

Thus, with great regret, I put a formerly promising proposal on the back burner. Those who are fortunate enough to live within easy reach of StringZ will merely compete for the McCarthy Cup for the time being.