New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Triviapalooza SIX... The final Triviapalooza???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:02 pm 
Centenarian

Rhino, I look forward to meeting you. It will be great to put a face and a handshake on a great commentator on this and the original Buzztime board.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am 
Lord of Scaratings

bigdog216 wrote:
Rhino, I look forward to meeting you. It will be great to put a face and a handshake on a great commentator on this and the original Buzztime board.

I second that emotion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

bigdog216 wrote:

Had a chance to meet both of them in WV a few years ago. Will be nice to see them again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:22 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I'm arriving in Cincy late July 12 and staying until Monday July 15. Then I plan to drive to Canton and may look for a couple places to play there as well. Afterwards returning on either the 17th or 18th to Cincy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Any over zealous Ohio State fans who like little boys attending this year?

Yes, not interested. No, possibly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:07 am 
Centenarian

A certain pedophile remains in custody of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:31 am 
Lord of Scaratings

lewser wrote:
Any over zealous Ohio State fans who like little boys attending this year?

Yes, not interested. No, possibly.

Would be good to meet you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

bigdog216 wrote:

Yup. Still locked up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:58 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
bigdog216 wrote:

Yup. Still locked up.

Kind of funny, I just looked that up myself yesterday. He's still locked up in Boyd County.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:13 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Looks like they don't want to put him in the big boy jail. I would hope they are going to keep him locked up for a while. He got too much national attention to get an early pass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:41 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Less than a month - it can't get here soon enough.

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

teverett wrote:
Less than a month - it can't get here soon enough.

Me too....i will have better fun this year

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Finally made my hotel reservation. I believe I will have attended all the Triviapaloozas?

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:53 am 
King or Queen Postalot

FrankC wrote:
Finally made my hotel reservation. I believe I will have attended all the Triviapaloozas?

In honour of his illustrious achievement, I nominate FRANKC's playmaker for Speed Freaks ;)

(I'm not saying Frank ought to be the one playing it :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:06 pm 
Himself Fodder

pengwn wrote:
In honour of his illustrious achievement, I nominate FRANKC's playmaker for Speed Freaks ;)

Or how about everybody play straight up, don't get many opportunities to play SF in a perfect environment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Or how about everybody play straight up, don't get many opportunities to play SF in a perfect environment.

Far too subtle a joke.
Most people haven't played in a bar with 50-70 PMs going during this game and may not get it.
I minored in punch line management in college. Trust me on this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:49 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

-BO- wrote:
pengwn wrote:

I'd be in favour of this, if it weren't for the fact that half the room will probably just pick a number and press it incessantly for 15 minutes

If it comes to that, I call dibs on 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 pm 
Himself Fodder

pengwn wrote:
-BO- wrote:
pengwn wrote:

I'd be in favour of this, if it weren't for the fact that half the room will probably just pick a number and press it incessantly for 15 minutes

If it comes to that, I call dibs on 3

Half the room will just pick a number? that's what random hacks tend to do during this game. Sounds like I can get the palooza experience any Saturday night at a BWW. :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 pm 
Centenarian

Can't be the final (s) without Baahston. :lol: Save a secuaah baahstool for Sakic. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:10 am 
Between Normal Sigmas. %!

Tolle wrote:
poman wrote:
-BO- wrote:

Tons of people show up and it's one giant team with everybody sharing answers. Not a tournament and the usual games are played.

Also, it's...Not A Bash :twisted:

In case you were wondering what a “bash” is

Many eons ago, in a hidden location that only the elders knew, a great gathering of legends of all things trivial was held. Members of this elite force were sworn to a Trivial Oath and dared not whisper a word of it to the unworthy. They came from far and wide, many using their amassed fortune from Jeopardy and $25,000 Question winnings to attend, to prove to meager serfs of the trivia world that they should indeed bow down before their greatness. Upon arrival, the Lords of Trivia gave the guards at the gate the secret handshake and were permitted entrance. Once inside, they realized this was not some dirty bar, it was the Eden of Knowledge. Solid gold playmakers were distributed and mugs of brilliance, that were carved out of the bones of Albert Einstein, were filled with a nectar befitting their excellence. The most comfortable of thrones was given to all – for their rears could remain tender because it was THEY that would be the givers of butt kickings and their precious heinies would never be within boot’s reach.

The slaughters that ensued were a steamrolling of destruction that left those in their path begging for mercy, begging them to let their inferior talents join their juggernaut… silly peasants! There was no mercy for the weak and no room for the unworthy. After a mere three games of the game called Countdown, all was quiet on the trivia front… every single bar and player had been defeated and had retired from the game in disgrace! Rather than fight the hopeless fight, they hung up their playmakers and returned to their lives. The Gods of Trivia were not satisfied though, they continued to play and didn’t miss a single question for 7 whole days… they were the greatest and even if no one was able to witness it, they knew… they knew.

So, as you can clearly see, Triviapalooza is by no means a “bash”. It is a gathering of nerds, drunks, and drunken nerds that play trivia, do very well at it, and have an enjoyable weekend with friends both old and new.

While I realize the above quote was at least partially 'tongue-in-cheek', the idea that the erstwhile bashes were bastions of exclusivity and full of trivia snobs isn't really true. There wasn't any Scaratings at the time, and news was spread through BadBart, which had a limited circulation. I'm sure I am just as much of a nerd as anyone who will be attending "Triviapalooza" and I have managed to play this game for over ten years with players of varying degrees of skill without patronizing or lionizing any of my fellow teammates or competitors. I think I can say the same for the great majority of people who attended the 'bashes'. I ask this years attendees of Triviapalooza not to think as harhly of us former Bash attendees as Mr. Tolle does. I actiually was going to attend last years festivities before some health issues prevented me from going.

CLIPPR ( Pete Bauer)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:11 pm 

CLIPPR wrote:
Tolle wrote:

Many eons ago, in a hidden location that only the elders knew, a great gathering of legends of all things trivial was held. Members of this elite force were sworn to a Trivial Oath and dared not whisper a word of it to the unworthy. They came from far and wide, many using their amassed fortune from Jeopardy and $25,000 Question winnings to attend, to prove to meager serfs of the trivia world that they should indeed bow down before their greatness. Upon arrival, the Lords of Trivia gave the guards at the gate the secret handshake and were permitted entrance. Once inside, they realized this was not some dirty bar, it was the Eden of Knowledge. Solid gold playmakers were distributed and mugs of brilliance, that were carved out of the bones of Albert Einstein, were filled with a nectar befitting their excellence. The most comfortable of thrones was given to all – for their rears could remain tender because it was THEY that would be the givers of butt kickings and their precious heinies would never be within boot’s reach.

The slaughters that ensued were a steamrolling of destruction that left those in their path begging for mercy, begging them to let their inferior talents join their juggernaut… silly peasants! There was no mercy for the weak and no room for the unworthy. After a mere three games of the game called Countdown, all was quiet on the trivia front… every single bar and player had been defeated and had retired from the game in disgrace! Rather than fight the hopeless fight, they hung up their playmakers and returned to their lives. The Gods of Trivia were not satisfied though, they continued to play and didn’t miss a single question for 7 whole days… they were the greatest and even if no one was able to witness it, they knew… they knew.

So, as you can clearly see, Triviapalooza is by no means a “bash”. It is a gathering of nerds, drunks, and drunken nerds that play trivia, do very well at it, and have an enjoyable weekend with friends both old and new.

While I realize the above quote was at least partially 'tongue-in-cheek', the idea that the erstwhile bashes were bastions of exclusivity and full of trivia snobs isn't really true. There wasn't any Scaratings at the time, and news was spread through BadBart, which had a limited circulation. I'm sure I am just as much of a nerd as anyone who will be attending "Triviapalooza" and I have managed to play this game for over ten years with players of varying degrees of skill without patronizing or lionizing any of my fellow teammates or competitors. I think I can say the same for the great majority of people who attended the 'bashes'. I ask this years attendees of Triviapalooza not to think as harhly of us former Bash attendees as Mr. Tolle does. I actiually was going to attend last years festivities before some health issues prevented me from going.

CLIPPR ( Pete Bauer)

Pete, as an anti-snob who attended your bash at Teasers/Chicago several years ago, I completely agree with your statement. However, the Tolle post that you quote was entirely and utterly "tongue-in-cheek" -- spurred on by several members on this website who insist that any current get-together of BT trivia addicts is not worthy of being termed a "bash" compared to those gatherings of yesteryear.

I try to make the Triviapalooza in nearby Cincy every year, but with scheduling conflicts, I have made it only on Sundays the past several years. I think you would enjoy it.

Terry/FOG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:55 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

CLIPPR wrote:
Tolle wrote:
poman wrote:

Also, it's...Not A Bash :twisted:

CLIPPR ( Pete Bauer)[/quote]

Just an ongoing joke between myself, POMAN, BO, LILJOL, and LEWSER. If we get beat in any games someone will post "you're not a bash" almost as quickly as it happens. No bad blood, just a little friendly jabbing. I've met POMAN and LEWSER in their cities and it never came to blows!

There are always a good deal of attendees who have been to "bashes" and they've said how much fun they've had in Wichita,Houston, and Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:42 pm 

It is a bash...we bash the competition and they bash us when we don't place first...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

chuckiebk wrote:
It is a bash...we bash the competition and they bash us when we don't place first...

good point there Chuck

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:26 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

In all fairness, this is a truly fun event for all. We all have a passion for playing with that little blue box (sorry, had to throw that in since my name is Tiffany).

I think it is great to put names with faces, especially when you see them on the board often.

Besides, there are also other places to explore in the area, especially Jungle Jims and Mount Carmel...

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next