New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Triviapalooza 7.0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:30 am 

-BO- wrote:
Oh my, if it's open to any and all BT players it's most certainly not a bash. :D :D :D

If you guys would rather we not post about it on Facebook, we won't! But we have in previous years. We were just trying to alert others who might not be on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:10 am 
Himself Fodder

krazikatt wrote:
-BO- wrote:
Oh my, if it's open to any and all BT players it's most certainly not a bash. :D :D :D

If you guys would rather we not post about it on Facebook, we won't! But we have in previous years. We were just trying to alert others who might not be on this forum.

Hey, I have zero say in any of this, don't take anything I've said about this get together as more than just joking around.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:16 am 

krazikatt wrote:
-BO- wrote:

Please go ahead and post away on Facebook; the more the merrier! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 am 
Himself Fodder

chuckiebk wrote:
Please go ahead and post away on Facebook; the more the merrier! :)

Official word......

NOT A BASH! :D :D :D

(but that doesn't mean people won't have fun)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:28 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

krazikatt wrote:
-BO- wrote:

Hmmm. I wonder if there are more people on Facebook or this Forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:23 pm 

scar wrote:
krazikatt wrote:
-BO- wrote:

Hmmm. I wonder if there are more people on Facebook or this Forum.

To be sure, I'm posting updates to both.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:24 pm 

WB TANAKA wrote:
I have to back out--something has come up, and it appears I cannot be in Maryland that weekend. :(

Bill, sorry you're not going to make it out. Obviously, if plans change, please let us know. Otherwise, have a good time in whatever it is you're doing :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:58 pm 
Centenarian

There's a 95% chance I will not be able to make it.

Bambi jumped in front of my car, and it's a total loss.

Having no desire for a car payment, and not knowing if Old Faithful can be saved, I may be forced to play the Used Car Lottery, and the odds are not good.

So, drop me off of the list. Wish I could be there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:37 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Since the location is near my brothers house, I should be able to be there Friday and Saturday, if I can get out of babysitting. :oops: Hopefully they don't have tablets, their still not taking Space Bar for log-in. :(

DTHDLR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:50 am 

I was able to visit JETS here at the Stained Glass a couple weeks ago. One thing I will say is that we will probably totally overtake the restaurant. And then some. Because of the size and the layout, chances are we'll have to have two (or even three) virtual groups within the place. When you walk in the front door, there are two main sections - one to the left and one to the right and not in easy calling-out-the-answer distance. The bar area is between these two sections. We may want to ask the management to bring in extra chairs and pack ourselves in on one side. Oh - and be warned, the restrooms are downstairs. But there IS an elevator for those of you that are gravity challenged.

The Best Western mentioned above is probably closer to the Stained Glass than La Quinta is to Bargos. Very convenient. And the location is only six or seven miles from BWI for those of you that are flying in.

There's another Buzztime bar about a mile away called Triple Nines. I wish I could review this place. But quite frankly my recollection is a bit fuzzy (must've been the cheap grape bombs). I do seem to recall lots of billiards and darts in a large building. But that's about it. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing all of you in about 3 months!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Zebra's description of SGP is pretty good. I would add that the V shaped bar area is very long and stretches in front of both the left and right sides of the 2 table areas. Those sitting at the bar can communicate with the raised table areas behind them.

However, as Rick said the left and right sides are separated a bit by low walls of the central walkway. If we are loud enough there will no problem. It's definitely not open like a BWW. But with as many people as we'll have, we will take over the whole place.

The elevator down to the bathrooms could get interesting by around midnight on Fri/Sat night. BOTFLY will definitely be advised to not attempt the winding steps. Maybe we can put a chair in the elevator.....going down? :shock:

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:54 pm 
Centenarian

Bambi totaled Old Faithful. Not wanting payments on a car at this time, I found another car of the same make, same trim level, same year with under 39,000 miles.

A senior citizen had traded my "new used car" in, and she's in excellent condition. I paid cash.

But,her AC is blowing warm, and she's going to the shop Wednesday, April 30 to TCB before the humid Northeastern Ohio summers take over. If it's just a recharge, I'm there. If it's MasterCard Meltdown, I'm not.

Provided I do not fire my employer by July, if the news is not too bad, I'm there. Provided the hotel is not completely booked.

If there's any updated hotel info, let me know via PM. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:45 pm 

Hi all. With Triviapalooza, there is always a group of people that love to go exploring the area. I'm fortunate enough to have a concierge service available where I live, so I've asked them to put together a list of tours around the Baltimore / DC area. Take a look at the below and if a group of people are interested, I can find out how much it'll cost per person to set up the tour. The text below is the email message from my concierge.

I’ve compiled a list of things that your participants may find interesting – this was the result of some brainstorming. 

I also talked to Eyre Tours – they are a Charm City Concierge vendor, and based on what your group decides, they could help us plan your transportation needs (a large van or bus). They also do some tours. Here’s what their rep had to say:

Perhaps one day a trip to Washington DC (being trivia buffs, they would probably enjoy the Library of Congress), one day they may like to do a winery / brewery tour, we could set up a trip to Frederick to a brewery, have lunch and free time downtown and stop at Linganore Winery on the way home. Since they are trivia people, I could find a bar that has trivia and we could take them as a group one of the evenings. I think a ball game sounds great, everybody loves going to a baseball game and Camden Yards is the best.

Please let me know what you think of these ideas and/or the bus rep’s suggestions:

• Linganore Winery, Mt. Airy (I noted on their website that they’re having a Reggae Fest July 19-20) http://www.linganorewines.com/
• Flying Dog Brewery, Frederick, MD http://flyingdogbrewery.com/
• Baltimore Harbor tour (aquarium, science center, Harborplace) http://www.aqua.org/ http://www.mdsci.org/ http://www.harborplace.com/
• Fell’s Point & Little Italy http://www.fellspoint.us/ (Fell’s Point does a ghost walk that looks really interesting.) http://www.littleitalymd.com/
• Ft. McHenry (this year is the 200th anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner; I think the Fort will have all kinds of activities) http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm
• The Mall in DC – Smithsonian museums, National Monument, etc. http://www.nps.gov/nacc/index.htm
• Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at the Air & Space Museum, Chantilly, VA http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/ (This is out by Dulles Airport.)
• National Cathedral http://www.nationalcathedral.org/
• Gettysburg (I actually worked at the Gettysburg Visitor Center/National Park before I moved to MD – I can easily make arrangements for battlefield and visitor center tours. www.gettysburgfoundation.org www.nps.org/gett
• Baseball games (the Orioles host the NY Yankees on July 12, and the Washington Nationals host the Milwaukee Brewers on July 19 (I can sell you tickets to the games through Charm City Concierge).
• Concerts at Wolf Trap, Vienna VA http://www.wolftrap.org/ (Charm City Concierge has tickets to concerts – July 13: Jennifer Nettles; July 14 Sarah Barellies; July 16 The Fray; July 18 Straight No Chaser; July 20 Huey Lewis & The News).

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:05 am 
Centenarian

Do they have armored buses?

I was a huge fan of The Wire on HBO when it ran, and I'd love to see some of those areas! Seriously, Baltimore City Hall is a beautiful building, and The Wire was one of the best television series ever. The Wire could have been set in Cleveland, Chicago, Buffalo or any American city, but Baltimore's architecture and urban ruins brought a texture to The Wire that few cities could.

When The Wire was on, I told someone "If Dickens and Kafka were reincarnated and commissioned to write a screenplay on 21st-century America, they would have come up with The Wire."

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:55 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Never been to a palooza before, but wouldn't 2 or 3 groups in the place be a good/fun thing? A little competition between the groups. Just don't kick me around from team to team when I don't help too much :p

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:01 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Chuck, I invited JPRD & his paramour when I ran into them at Black Bear last weekend. She grew up around that area in MD.

JPRD was one of the players at that dive site in Keyser, WV. He came to one of the Bridgeport WVBTOs, so he knows what to expect.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:51 am 
King or Queen Postalot

mrgray wrote:
Never been to a palooza before, but wouldn't 2 or 3 groups in the place be a good/fun thing? A little competition between the groups. Just don't kick me around from team to team when I don't help too much :p

It wouldn't be fair, because somebody would have to get stuck with me, and the other groups would probably insist our score be converted to Canadian metric dollars, or something like that

GIMPY and I are looking over the area hotels, and I want us to be booked before she heads off to Nicaragua next week. Yes, I know Best Western has offered us a group discount, but cheaper rates than that are easily found nearby, and she's still of the student mindset to save every dollar possible. Can't beat the convenience of staying in the BW, though . . .

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:13 am 
Lord of Scaratings

mrgray wrote:

In my experience, the only chance you have of organizing anything at these is to have people show up somewhere around the right weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:51 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Just got a message that Michel Boomkamp will be joining us from Het Nederlands this year.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:29 pm 
Centenarian

I'm all booked. RAN D cannot make it this year, but another person from Tampa is going - ELOCK (Eric).

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again :)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

mrgray wrote:

What you describe was actually in place, just not in the same location. It was called the anti-bash, and it was a fun competition...

...until buzztime ruined it with the FSPLIT :(

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:08 am 
Phosphorus

If it gets too crowded, there is an amazing dive bar up the road. For those of you that know me, close your eyes and picture my ultimate place. Yep.....that's it! TIEFLY....it's like The Colonial on PEDs!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Spiegs wrote:
If it gets too crowded, there is an amazing dive bar up the road. For those of you that know me, close your eyes and picture my ultimate place. Yep.....that's it! TIEFLY....it's like The Colonial on PEDs!

Scratch offs? Keno? Carpet on the walls? OTB?

EGADS, I can still smell the Colonial!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:58 am 
Lotsa Posta

Here is a warning. I have booked my flight. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:01 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Unfortunately, Scar can't make it; runs too close to taking my kids and grandkids to the beach.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next