New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: End of Summer Trivi-Ale Bash
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 pm 
Lotsa Posta

tiefly wrote:
SPIEGS & I will be there. Not sure about BC yet.

And now we KNOW it'll be a party!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:23 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Akbar71 wrote:
tiefly wrote:
SPIEGS & I will be there. Not sure about BC yet.

And now we KNOW it'll be a party!

There is consideration of an Anti-Bear bash as well. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:06 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Gogetem wrote:

You know we'd rather have you out here again, but nothing legitimizes a bash like an anti-bash, right? (Although anti-Bear bash sounds awfully Colbertian.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:11 pm 
Himself Fodder

CLIPPR wrote:
I'm definitely planning to be there. Please let me know about lodging information and such.

So does that mean TTLPKG will be joining you?

If a trivia event is held that close to DC and The Package does not attend, it is most certainly not a bash.

BO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:40 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Akbar71 wrote:
Gogetem wrote:

You know we'd rather have you out here again, but nothing legitimizes a bash like an anti-bash, right? (Although anti-Bear bash sounds awfully Colbertian.)

True, it does sound Colbertian, but this time I will have to remain here. We will return again some day. Maybe a Middle Atlantic - New England Tour will be attempted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:34 pm 
Between Normal Sigmas. %!

Well, I 'll get in touch with him, but he might be in Patagonia, coaching Rugby then. Are you going? Do you want my Cubs - Cards tickets?

Pete Clipper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:36 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Lodging Info for the TriviAle Bash:

I highly recommend the AmericInn, which is located less than a mile from our front door.
In addition to being incredibly close, it is a lovely hotel, offering breakfast, very clean rooms, a really nice, open lobby, a cool manager (Matt), a swimming pool and a hot tub. What's more, they will offer us the conference room for after-hours partying. Matt will give anyone from our group an $89/night rate (down from their normal $129 rate). Please make reservations by the end of July and mention you're with Stewart's or the Trivia Bash or some combination thereof.

AmericInn Bear
875 Pulaski Highway
Bear, DE 19701
(302) 326-2500
(800) 634-3444
http://www.americinn.com/hotels/DE/Bear?chebs=ai_gl

The only drawback to the AmericInn is that despite its proximity, it is on a relatively busy roadway on the other side of a relatively major intersection, making walking ill-advised. That said, it's a very, very quick drive and a really nice hotel, especially for $89.

Should you require ritzier accommodations, there is the Hilton Christiana, about 5.5 miles north, who will offer $109/night. (But it's not that much ritzier.) http://www.hiltonchristiana.com/
Should you find yourself on a more limited budget, across the road from the Hilton is a Red Roof Inn, which offers $59/night singles and $65/night doubles. (I'd really suggest treating yourself to the AmericInn, though.) http://www.redroof.com/reservations/pro ... px?pid=190

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:18 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Akbar71 wrote:

I highly recommend the AmericInn, which is located less than a mile from our front door.
In addition to being incredibly close, it is a lovely hotel, offering breakfast, very clean rooms, a really nice, open lobby, a cool manager (Matt), a swimming pool and a hot tub. What's more, they will offer us the conference room for after-hours partying.

I thought that since you are "The Man" our after hours partying would be at your bar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:29 am 
Lotsa Posta

scar wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:

In addition to being incredibly close, it is a lovely hotel, offering breakfast, very clean rooms, a really nice, open lobby, a cool manager (Matt), a swimming pool and a hot tub. What's more, they will offer us the conference room for after-hours partying.

I thought that since you are "The Man" our after hours partying would be at your bar.
"The Man" or not, we stay legal at Stewart's. In Delaware, that means last call ends at 1:00 a.m. and we have to kick you out by 2:00. But we do offer growlers!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:10 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Akbar71 wrote:
scar wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:

"The Man" or not, we stay legal at Stewart's. In Delaware, that means last call ends at 1:00 a.m. and we have to kick you out by 2:00. But we do offer growlers!

Fair enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:10 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Good stuff, too. Akbar brought a couple of growlers to WV, and the dark was excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:10 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I should probably confirm our attendance formally here to reinforce verbal OK at WVIII.

Hopefully trivi-ale will avoid the current overdone craze of excessive hoppiness, but since Labatt Blue is the best I get at my home bar I cannot be too picky ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:05 am 
Lotsa Posta

Rhino wrote:
I should probably confirm our attendance formally here to reinforce verbal OK at WVIII.

Hopefully trivi-ale will avoid the current overdone craze of excessive hoppiness, but since Labatt Blue is the best I get at my home bar I cannot be too picky ;)

We just ran a series of ridiculously hoppy beers, so that might be out of our system for a while. We're probably going to aim for something approachable for the TriviAle, but which also appeals to the beer geek. It's a fine line to walk, but brewer Ric is pretty darned good at this.

Glad to see you confirm; I'm looking forward to your being able to taste a wider array of our offerings.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:40 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
Rhino wrote:

We just ran a series of ridiculously hoppy beers, so that might be out of our system for a while. We're probably going to aim for something approachable for the TriviAle, but which also appeals to the beer geek. It's a fine line to walk, but brewer Ric is pretty darned good at this.

Glad to see you confirm; I'm looking forward to your being able to taste a wider array of our offerings.

Not trying to pick an argument but this approach is the reason I voiced a hope in the first place, so I will point it out. Are there no beer geeks who prefer balance to excessive hoppiness? Are there no well-crafted microbrews with excellent reputations that maybe even veer to the malty? I AM a beer geek and it often surprises me (you'd think I'd learn more quickly) when even many other cognoscenti seem to assume that hops are the be all and end all of good beer. It's a new-ish attitude that has become current only in the last 10-15 years. I'm not averse to hops - even heavily hopped beers, but the lack of balance in the last decade had become a bit irksome, where every new brewery starts trying to maximize IBUs and tell people that that cloying perfume mouthfeel that completely overpowers any other component of flavor is the one mark of a true beer lover's taste.

Again this is not aimed at you and is more of a general plaint. Can't count the number of micorbrew places I have been to in the last few years that have 9 IPAs, Guinness and a couple of fruit-laden novelties as their range of offerings. Is a rich brown ale too much to ask for these days? A refreshing pale ale with balance? A nutty porter or stout? Maybe even a light Marzen or Kolsch? Nope - every damn copper vessel in the nation seems to be packed with 400lbs of Tettnang and Kent Goldings lately.

But hey. Rest assured I will try everything - the hoppy stuff included, with relish. I look forward to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:53 am 
Lotsa Posta

Rhino wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:
Rhino wrote:

Not trying to pick an argument but this approach is the reason I voiced a hope in the first place, so I will point it out. Are there no beer geeks who prefer balance to excessive hoppiness? Are there no well-crafted microbrews with excellent reputations that maybe even veer to the malty? I AM a beer geek and it often surprises me (you'd think I'd learn more quickly) when even many other cognoscenti seem to assume that hops are the be all and end all of good beer. It's a new-ish attitude that has become current only in the last 10-15 years. I'm not averse to hops - even heavily hopped beers, but the lack of balance in the last decade had become a bit irksome, where every new brewery starts trying to maximize IBUs and tell people that that cloying perfume mouthfeel that completely overpowers any other component of flavor is the one mark of a true beer lover's taste.

Again this is not aimed at you and is more of a general plaint. Can't count the number of micorbrew places I have been to in the last few years that have 9 IPAs, Guinness and a couple of fruit-laden novelties as their range of offerings. Is a rich brown ale too much to ask for these days? A refreshing pale ale with balance? A nutty porter or stout? Maybe even a light Marzen or Kolsch? Nope - every damn copper vessel in the nation seems to be packed with 400lbs of Tettnang and Kent Goldings lately.
Oh, I'm riding right there with you. I far prefer maltier beers to hoppier beers. One of the (many) reasons I love working here is that we do a great many maltier and more balanced beers. (We've won awards, for example, for our Maerzen, our Dunkel and our Koelsch, among others.) If you like Belgians, we're releasing a bottle-conditioned Tripel at the end of July. Let me know and I'll save you a bottle.

Rhino wrote:
But hey. Rest assured I will try everything - the hoppy stuff included, with relish. I look forward to it.

I don't necessarily recommend relish with our beer. Pretzels & mustard, perhaps.

And now I'll stop thread-jacking my own thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:44 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Save me a bottle or two of the Tripel. Love the Belgians. Barbar was my favorite on my last visit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:46 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Rhino wrote:

Well, looks like we will finally meet. Looking forward to it.

I'm down to 4 cigarettes a day for the last 3 months, so I probably won't subject you to too much outside second hand smoke :) .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:06 pm 
Lotsa Posta

scar wrote:
Save me a bottle or two of the Tripel. Love the Belgians. Barbar was my favorite on my last visit.

Will do. I'm very pleased that you're coming. Look forward to meeting you!

scar wrote:
I'm down to 4 cigarettes a day for the last 3 months, so I probably won't subject you to too much outside second hand smoke.
Egads; I can barely imagine four cigarettes lasting three hours!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:36 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Not complaining at all mind you, but I was in Hawaii at the WVIII and I'll be in Mexico for the Bargos gathering. I'm looking forward to my first visit to Delaware, though I have been to Philly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:07 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

scar wrote:
Rhino wrote:

I'm down to 4 cigarettes a day for the last 3 months, so I probably won't subject you to too much outside second hand smoke :) .

You won't be subjecting me to any trust me. Not legally anyway - I won't spend tourist dollars in those uncivilized states/cities that have no bans, not even for the sake of microbrews and trivia. Close, mind, but I've been out of the noxious pit kind of bar for over five years now and every day makes it less likely I'll subject myself to one again willingly. I mistakenly stepped into one not knowing where Philadelphia's exact boundary was last month (PA has no state ban), and was out again in seconds.

But sincere congrats on the almost-quitting. Should I ask the impetus for that decision or NOMB?

Oh and Akbar yes please - save me at least one Trippel. Many thanks for the consideration.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:25 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

too bad I can't make it,,i would have enjoyed sampling the microbrews.

tripels are always nice.

maybe Akbar could talk his brewmaster into making a oyster stout ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:41 pm 
Lotsa Posta

stevej84 wrote:

We've thought about it. Given your cofffee add sign-off, you might appreciate the coffee stout we have on right now. (But only one keg.) We use actual Tanzanian Peaberry coffee rather than an extract. It's quite tasty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Akbar71 wrote:
stevej84 wrote:

We've thought about it. Given your cofffee add sign-off, you might appreciate the coffee stout we have on right now. (But only one keg.) We use actual Tanzanian Peaberry coffee rather than an extract. It's quite tasty.

I'd definitely like that one. In the winter, one of my favorite beers is Mill Street Coffee Porter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:47 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Rhino wrote:
scar wrote:
Rhino wrote:

You won't be subjecting me to any trust me. Not legally anyway - I won't spend tourist dollars in those uncivilized states/cities that have no bans, not even for the sake of microbrews and trivia. Close, mind, but I've been out of the noxious pit kind of bar for over five years now and every day makes it less likely I'll subject myself to one again willingly. I mistakenly stepped into one not knowing where Philadelphia's exact boundary was last month (PA has no state ban), and was out again in seconds.

But sincere congrats on the almost-quitting. Should I ask the impetus for that decision or NOMB?

Oh and Akbar yes please - save me at least one Trippel. Many thanks for the consideration.

Wanted for me and my wife to get healthier. Joined the Y in January swimming a mile and a half every other day, started wellbutrin at the same time. In March I had a second stent put in, which only reinforced the need to continue what I was doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:25 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

scar wrote:

Wanted for me and my wife to get healthier. Joined the Y in January swimming a mile and a half every other day, started wellbutrin at the same time. In March I had a second stent put in, which only reinforced the need to continue what I was doing.

I'm not going to be a hypocrite here as my lifestyle remains contrary to the "healthy" ideal, but kudos to you for taking action to meet goals important to you. The way I figure it the deaths from obesity and malpractice are about equal, so if I stay fat and away from doctors it's a wash ;)

Yes joking of course ---but the numbers ARE in fact about equal!

Funnily enough the effects of smoking, alcohol and obesity do not take off as many years COMBINED as men could add by one simple action that very few of them seem to choose. Castration adds 13 years to lifespan on average.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next