New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: End of Summer Trivi-Ale Bash
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:37 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Rhino wrote:
scar wrote:

Wanted for me and my wife to get healthier. Joined the Y in January swimming a mile and a half every other day, started wellbutrin at the same time. In March I had a second stent put in, which only reinforced the need to continue what I was doing.

I'm not going to be a hypocrite here as my lifestyle remains contrary to the "healthy" ideal, but kudos to you for taking action to meet goals important to you. The way I figure it the deaths from obesity and malpractice are about equal, so if I stay fat and away from doctors it's a wash ;)

Yes joking of course ---but the numbers ARE in fact about equal!

Funnily enough the effects of smoking, alcohol and obesity do not take off as many years COMBINED as men could add by one simple action that very few of them seem to choose. Castration adds 13 years to lifespan on average.

I'm a creature of habit. I figured I could be a creature of good habits as well as bad. Exercise, better diet, less alcohol and caffeine and smoking really wasn't that difficult to adopt. Went to my cardiologist last week and my bloodd pressure was 101/60 and my resting heart rate was 56. He was thrilled.

Wish I had done it years ago, but I guess I just wasn't ready until now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Rhino wrote:
Funnily enough the effects of smoking, alcohol and obesity do not take off as many years COMBINED as men could add by one simple action that very few of them seem to choose. Castration adds 13 years to lifespan on average.

Be sure & let us know how that works out for you. :shock: ;) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:58 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
I'm a creature of habit. I figured I could be a creature of good habits as well as bad. Exercise, better diet, less alcohol and caffeine and smoking really wasn't that difficult to adopt. Went to my cardiologist last week and my bloodd pressure was 101/60 and my resting heart rate was 56. He was thrilled.

I am now 4 months off the smokes after 45 years of smoking. I can now breath, smell, and taste again. I woke up 4 months ago coughing my lungs up and gasping for breath.
I thought I was dieing. I was about to wake up my wife and tell her to call an ambulance, but my breath returned. Fear is a great motivator. I quit cold turkey. Over the years I tried every method known to quit smoking, but none worked. My wife laughs that I was the only person she heard of that wore the patch, chewed Nicorette, and smoked at the same time after going through hypnosis therapy. I was against smoking bans, but it has made it easier to quit. I know my lungs have been damaged,
but I can now walk upstairs, run, and ride a bike without gasping for breath. Four months ago I thought I would be hauling around an oxygen tank if I lived.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:28 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Rhino wrote:

Be sure & let us know how that works out for you. :shock: ;) :mrgreen:

For some reason being married doesn't have quite the same effect. You'd think it would.....

Althought to be truthful I should point out this longevity effect only works if you are castrated in youth, so a bit too late for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:23 am 
Lord of Scaratings

FrankC wrote:
scar wrote:

I am now 4 months off the smokes after 45 years of smoking. I can now breath, smell, and taste again. I woke up 4 months ago coughing my lungs up and gasping for breath.
I thought I was dieing. I was about to wake up my wife and tell her to call an ambulance, but my breath returned. Fear is a great motivator. I quit cold turkey. Over the years I tried every method known to quit smoking, but none worked. My wife laughs that I was the only person she heard of that wore the patch, chewed Nicorette, and smoked at the same time after going through hypnosis therapy. I was against smoking bans, but it has made it easier to quit. I know my lungs have been damaged,
but I can now walk upstairs, run, and ride a bike without gasping for breath. Four months ago I thought I would be hauling around an oxygen tank if I lived.

I'm glad to hear it Frank.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:50 am 
Lord of Scaratings

What's the closest nice beach type scenario with Hotel on water with a pool ? Was looking at Delaware bay......

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
What's the closest nice beach type scenario with Hotel on water with a pool ? Was looking at Delaware bay......

You are out of luck there Scott.

You might be able to find a hotel with a pool in the Bear/Newark area but it won't be close to a beach.

You don't want to swim in the Delaware bay. There are no nice beaches along the bay, you need to get to the Atlantic ocean.

The closest nice beach is Rehobeth or Dewey about 1.5 hours away.

Good luck on finding something with an outdoor pool in the Bear area. The AmericInn down the street from the bar has an indoor pool.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:48 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

BUD wrote:
scar wrote:

You are out of luck there Scott.

You might be able to find a hotel with a pool in the Bear/Newark area but it won't be close to a beach.

You don't want to swim in the Delaware bay. There are no nice beaches along the bay, you need to get to the Atlantic ocean.

The closest nice beach is Rehobeth or Dewey about 1.5 hours away.

Good luck on finding something with an outdoor pool in the Bear area. The AmericInn down the street from the bar has an indoor pool.

Thanks. My wife might come along, but she won't play trivia for multiple days. We wondered if there was a beach type setting within an hour or so. Hour and a half is probably doable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:45 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Rehoboth has two trivia sites...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:15 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Glad to hear that Scar and Frank are quitting/cutting back on smoking. I lost both parents to smoking-related lung disease. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:13 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Akbar71 wrote:
Lodging Info for the TriviAle Bash:

I highly recommend the AmericInn, which is located less than a mile from our front door.
In addition to being incredibly close, it is a lovely hotel, offering breakfast, very clean rooms, a really nice, open lobby, a cool manager (Matt), a swimming pool and a hot tub. What's more, they will offer us the conference room for after-hours partying. Matt will give anyone from our group an $89/night rate (down from their normal $129 rate). Please make reservations by the end of July and mention you're with Stewart's or the Trivia Bash or some combination thereof.

AmericInn Bear
875 Pulaski Highway
Bear, DE 19701
(302) 326-2500
(800) 634-3444
http://www.americinn.com/hotels/DE/Bear?chebs=ai_gl

The only drawback to the AmericInn is that despite its proximity, it is on a relatively busy roadway on the other side of a relatively major intersection, making walking ill-advised. That said, it's a very, very quick drive and a really nice hotel, especially for $89.

Should you require ritzier accommodations, there is the Hilton Christiana, about 5.5 miles north, who will offer $109/night. (But it's not that much ritzier.) http://www.hiltonchristiana.com/
Should you find yourself on a more limited budget, across the road from the Hilton is a Red Roof Inn, which offers $59/night singles and $65/night doubles. (I'd really suggest treating yourself to the AmericInn, though.) http://www.redroof.com/reservations/pro ... px?pid=190

Just a reminder that the AmericInn would like your reservations by the end of this month. I just signed the reservation agreement, though, and Matt has lowered the rate down to $84.90.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:03 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Early list of attendees and possibles, as far as I can tell:

Confirmed:
Akbar (natch)
A mess of other folks who play here
Mary C. (or "Red")
Tiefly
Clipper
Jets
Spiegs
Scar
Rhino (& wife, whose name/handle I am ashamed not to remember)

Possible:
Opiee & Bud
Motor
Dante
Wonk
Bigdog
BC
Lumpy

While the confirmed list alone would be plenty fun, I look forward to it growing. Please let me know!

And just a reminder to make your reservations at the AmericInn by the end of July.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:13 pm 
Lotsa Posta

We still intend to go hunting Bear out west. We will have to find an alternate location as Danny Ks has a special event booked that Saturday. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:29 am 
Centenarian

ANGEL and I were hoping to make the short trek up to Bear. However, I start a new job in Miami FL on August 30th, so we won't be able to attend.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:33 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Noles wrote:
ANGEL and I were hoping to make the short trek up to Bear. However, I start a new job in Miami FL on August 30th, so we won't be able to attend.

The timing saddens me, but you have my best wishes for the new gig. Hope we see you on the boards sometime that weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:43 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Akbar71 wrote:
Lodging Info for the TriviAle Bash:

I highly recommend the AmericInn, which is located less than a mile from our front door.
In addition to being incredibly close, it is a lovely hotel, offering breakfast, very clean rooms, a really nice, open lobby, a cool manager (Matt), a swimming pool and a hot tub. What's more, they will offer us the conference room for after-hours partying. Matt will give anyone from our group an $89/night rate (down from their normal $129 rate). Please make reservations by the end of July and mention you're with Stewart's or the Trivia Bash or some combination thereof.

AmericInn Bear
875 Pulaski Highway
Bear, DE 19701
(302) 326-2500
(800) 634-3444
http://www.americinn.com/hotels/DE/Bear?chebs=ai_gl

The only drawback to the AmericInn is that despite its proximity, it is on a relatively busy roadway on the other side of a relatively major intersection, making walking ill-advised. That said, it's a very, very quick drive and a really nice hotel, especially for $89.

Should you require ritzier accommodations, there is the Hilton Christiana, about 5.5 miles north, who will offer $109/night. (But it's not that much ritzier.) http://www.hiltonchristiana.com/
Should you find yourself on a more limited budget, across the road from the Hilton is a Red Roof Inn, which offers $59/night singles and $65/night doubles. (I'd really suggest treating yourself to the AmericInn, though.) http://www.redroof.com/reservations/pro ... px?pid=190

Just one more bump for this post about lodging for the End of Summer TriviAle Bash.
Matt at the AmericInn has extended the deadline until August 20, should anyone still wish to take advantage of the lower room rate. I'm getting more and more responses from local folks who play here and others from around our fine state who are planning to stop in for some of the time. Should be a fun weekend!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:08 am 
Lotsa Posta

We're trying to get together a group to give you a run, but alas Danny Ks is out of this one. There is a major event scheduled for the 28th. We're planning to relocate to Mr. B's, if we can get a team together. Of course, we will include the usual suspects.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:13 pm 
Between Normal Sigmas. %!

Unfortunately, I don't think I will able to attend the Trivi-Ale Bash. The institution where I work is being threatened by a work stoppage on August 26th, and since I am in management(in a manner of speaking) and it is a hospital I will be working as an admitting clerk in the ER. If something changes, I will notify you.

CLIPPR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

CLIPPR wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't think I will able to attend the Trivi-Ale Bash. The institution where I work is being threatened by a work stoppage on August 26th, and since I am in management(in a manner of speaking) and it is a hospital I will be working as an admitting clerk in the ER. If something changes, I will notify you.

CLIPPR

Hells bells. Here's hoping it all works out for the best.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

OPIEE & I are still possible. Working out some things around here so we can get up there.

Too bad you can't make it Pete, we were looking forward to seeing you again.
Good luck at the hospital ER.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:00 pm 
Nonagenarian

Hey all :)

I'm going to be posting info in the next day or two on Facebook and Twitter to let the larger audience know about this too :) I just booked my flight, so I'm dialed in. Arriving Friday after a stop in INdy and staying until Monday. Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:14 am 
Lord of Scaratings

I'm going to have to back out as well.

I have a Fantasy Football draft that I've been in for about 7 years & truly enjoy, taking place Sunday at 2:00. I had planned on flying out of Philly Sunday morning and arriving in Louisville at 1:35 and racing over to the Bdubs, but now the other league I have been in since 1990 is having their draft Saturday, and it is a multiyear multikeeper format where you really can't miss the draft.

Guess this wasn't my year for trivia travels.

Scar, with regrets.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:55 am 
SF Pier

It is looking less and less likely that I can make it. I haven't given up completely, but my wife's family reunion is that weekend. I'm still trying to work out a way where I can make it for an evening or a day. It is iffy at best.

I really want to do a trivia bash in a brewpub. This is like Nirvana to me. I love my wife, and her family is great, but dammit -- why did they have to pick that weekend? :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:55 pm 
Lightning II

Noles wrote:
Congrats you guys, I assume you are moving down there?

Putting the F U in fun since 1999!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:18 am 
Centenarian

Prozac wrote:
Noles wrote:
Congrats you guys, I assume you are moving down there?

Yep. The commute from Maryland to Miami would get old pretty quickly. :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next