New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Triviapalooza Xii
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
To the rest of us watching the leaderboards, Palooza losing every game to the Palooza-spin off group kind of feels like we're reading baseball spring training scores. Palooza (SS) 6, California 3.

Of course the one difference is baseball split squad teams usually lose their games since they're at half force.

If buzztime survives for Palooza 13, perhaps next year's destination should be at a site-poor location.

LILJOL might be able to offer some recommendations :lol:

Well, hell. :roll: According to this lil old grump’s most recent peek into SiteFinder, someone at Buzztime must have gotten fed up with me calling San Diego County The Horribly Site-Poor Backyard, since there were a bunch more sites listed since at least several tears ago. However, since this lil old grump is in at best semiretirement from Buzztime, it remains to be seen when he will drag his poor tired lil old grumpy ass out to visit them.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:20 pm 
Centenarian

Two great players from Winnipeg, Alex and Larry made their yearly trek for a car show at the Minnesota State Fair grounds.During late afternoon Friday and Saturday the three of us got together at Sweet Pea's a few miles down the street from the Fair grounds.We banged away trying to compete against the Palooza.A couple of us played extra boards so there would be the necessary five for national rankings.We came close several times with a best of second place.Dumluck played by Alex did indeed in one game have the only perfect score on the network as we narrowly missed first place location.That game had several separator questions which Dumluck correctly called.It certainly was fun playing with Madman,Dumluck,Pegger,along with my three handles.Sweet Pea's has excellent food.Had the cod fish Friday and nachos Saturday.Usually,I am not a nacho fan,but these were outstanding served with sour cream,gaucamole,salsa,etc.The fries often a dissappointnent in many places were delicious.The cod was very tasty.Sweet Pea's also has a happy hour menu 7 days a week .Many places do not .A shout-out to Alex and Larry as great Canadian buzztime trivia players.Shoutout to Sweet Pea's for great food,service,and trivia environment.Certainly a locale trivia players should visit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:17 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Bugg wrote:
Two great players from Winnipeg, Alex and Larry, made their yearly trek for a car show at the Minnesota State Fair grounds.

I'm a fan of Big Guys in Winnipeg. BUGG doesn't inform us of their handles, Alex and Larry. GYPSY was up there recently, and told me that someone had asked after me, in reply to which I begged her not to tell him the truth.

An idiosyncrasy in the way I view the Final Top 20: I'm 400 miles from Winnipeg, and regard Big Guys as local competition. I don't regard Chicago, which is closer, as local at all. There was a curious sparring between Walsh's and Phil's Sports this weekend, and one must observe, the Walsh's players acquitted themselves with better success than any other site has ever done against the Triviapalooza convention. My compliments to both sites for inspired play.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:48 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
There was a curious sparring between Walsh's and Phil's Sports this weekend, and one must observe, the Walsh's players acquitted themselves with better success than any other site has ever done against the Triviapalooza convention. My compliments to both sites for inspired play.
Well, in all fairness, Walsh's is 15 minutes from Phil's and quite a few among us visitors spent an evening at the former to play with the Walsh's crew, as the premium game Hall of Fame round-up should attest. That said, they have a heck of a team without all of us, and were a pleasure to play with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:28 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

thanks to the people and staff at phil's. i had a lot of fun. this was well done. when you want to do it again, the boss and i will return.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:48 am 
Nonagenarian

BUD wrote:
Looks like 40 or so boxes at Phil's and 17 at Walsh's for Spotlight.

How bad is the lag at Phil's? Is Tiefly actually there or someone playing his name? Ahhh, registered at Danny K's and nice pic so not him.

What's going on there?

BWW Gaithersburg MD (split squad, KEN K and ISSUES are at TP12) will be at Stained Glass Pub tonight. Shooting for a win. :roll:

Lag wasn't horrible but was noticeable. It was a lot better than the last TP that had the blue boxes but based on the last few TPs with tablets, I'd say scores would have been higher for the weekend had those been in play. I'm not sure it would have changed the final results in any game though. The bigger issue was the boards not holding charge. I'm pretty sure everyone there had boards die mid-game on more than one occasion. It was still a great time catching up with old friends and meeting new ones too. Phil's SBG and the players there that put it on were great hosts!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:21 am 
Centenarian

Alex used handles Madman and Dumluk.Larry used handle Pegger.Sure enjoyed playing trivia with them.They are not only great buzztime trivia players but also high character individuals.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:07 pm 
Lotsa Posta

It was a good session and it was good to see some of the familiar faces from past 'Paloozas. I did meet some of the locals that I hadn't met before including Merkin. Gypsy has big plans ahead so we didn't see much of her. Regarding the boxes, I only had one that failed, so I was one of the lucky ones. Still, the boxes were the blue boxes from two generations ago. The ones that showed 99 instead of 100 and were heavier. The communication rate is 900k instead of the 14.4k, which is faster, In spite of these older boxes, it still worked out ok, I think. I do remember past meetings when it was a constant rotation replacing dead boxes.