New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: July 24th at Danny K's
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:08 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I'm probably getting too defensive. Believe it or not, I generally agree with most of what BO and LEWSER have to say.

Post subject: Re: July 24th Anti-bash at Danny K's
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:52 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Tolle wrote:
[quote="scar"

Maybe a good idea in theory, but it is not going to happen. I simply don't care enough about trying to impress BO and LEWSER to take a box away from someone. If Danny K's (or anyone else) beats us... good job.

It ain't just that. It's frustrating pounding on a box and not getting a thousand.

I sat out Spotlight and encouraged others to do the same last year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:19 am 
Himself Fodder

scar wrote:
Tolle wrote:
It ain't just that. It's frustrating pounding on a box and not getting a thousand.

I sat out Spotlight and encouraged others to do the same last year.

Part of the problem is this Scar, while having >50 PM's going at the same time can drag down the system, the more important part is the fact that >50 PM's are set up on the system. For example, if there are 70 PM's in the joint, there is going to be severe lag even if only 10 PM's are currently in use. It's almost all about how many PM's the CPU is constantly scanning for, not how many it finds.

So if you guys have 70 PM's at your disposal, you're probably not going to see any lag difference between 45 and 55 PM's in operation. Either way you're screwed.

Of course if you have more than 50 players attending, there's not much you can do. But ideally, the system should be setup for 50 PM's and 50 PM's only. There are sites out there with 20 PM's that are setup to scan for 50+ PM's, which is a complete waste. Seems like I remember a story of a site with severe lag that was setup to scan for 200 PM's or some crazy number. When our site dropped from 25 PM's to 20, it was done correctly and the site was the setup to scan for 20. I actually learned this the hard way when they took away 5 random PM's, but left us with PM's 21, 22, and 25 which all of a sudden wouldn't work. Luckily I figured this out and simply reprogrammed those PM's to the remaining slots from 1-20.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:53 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

That's interesting. I could add some supplemental data.

Last year at HH on Saturday I was sitting with Bonzo & GMEBRK among others. We noted after awhile matches on the lag bleeding, whether it was 974 or 568.

I posted on Buzztime about our experiments with different # units, and how for those boxes above#50, exact same results would be for consecutive box numbers in serial declining order.

For example box 52 may be 974, box 55 927 and boxed 59 and 60 both 568.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:53 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

scar wrote:
That's interesting. I could add some supplemental data.

Last year at HH on Saturday I was sitting with Bonzo & GMEBRK among others. We noted after awhile matches on the lag bleeding, whether it was 974 or 568.

I posted on Buzztime about our experiments with different # units, and how for those boxes above#50, exact same results would be for consecutive box numbers in serial declining order.

For example box 52 may be 974, box 55 927 and boxed 59 and 60 both 568.

So maybe if you restricted to the top 50 and withheld the box numbers above that, it may help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:17 pm 
Himself Fodder

scar wrote:
So maybe if you restricted to the top 50 and withheld the box numbers above that, it may help.

If the system is set up for 70 PM's, it will still have to scan groups 51-60 and 61-70 even if those PM's don't exist.

Will be curious to hear how the system and PM's respond good or bad.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:16 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tolle wrote:
I'm probably getting too defensive. Believe it or not, I generally agree with most of what BO and LEWSER have to say.

Don't worry I took no offense to what you said. I am now trying to figure out my hotel arrangements for my trip. I thought about going to the Triviapalooza, but $1000 for a weekend is kinda steep. Especially since I have spent the last 2 weeks gutting my home to do a complete remodel, new floors, new sheetrock, new kitchen, yada, yada, yada, and hopefully that new 56" LED (Julia is not happy sleeping in a tent in the yard for the next several months).

I recieved an email, and a PM from 2 people not the OP that told me about the Anti-Palooza over a month ago. So, who is actually in charge of this thing? Also, in years past the Antis were kept on the down-low so as to not get overcrowded.

j/k Julia just doesn't like our guest house.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:53 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Ok, I feared I was coming across more hostile than I really am.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:58 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Good points by both Scar and Bo. There just isn't a good system in place to rally the masses and avoid lag. I can't just tell the top 40 or so trivia players to show because then I'd have to stay at home.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:20 pm 
Himself Fodder

Tolle wrote:
Good points by both Scar and Bo. There just isn't a good system in place to rally the masses and avoid lag. I can't just tell the top 40 or so trivia players to show because then I'd have to stay at home.

It's all good, and you're right about the fact a perfect system currently does not exist.

Was trying to think back to the bashes 10 years ago and if they were more of an invitational than a come one come all gathering.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
Harry, since you will be sober and Tiefly won't, why don't you suggest to Patty @ Bargos and whoever else is help running the show that they restrict premium game usage to 45 boxes ?

I don't want to exclude anyone from playing, but I can ask.
Hell, I'll give up my board if push comes to shove.

I'm not sure about the number of overall registered boxes affecting lag regardless of how many are in play.
I do know that the lag went bye bye last year after PB when there were only nine of us playing about 12 boxes.
The number of perfectos that the west coast noticed coming out of HH should have been a clue... :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Tolle wrote:

It's all good, and you're right about the fact a perfect system currently does not exist.

Was trying to think back to the bashes 10 years ago and if they were more of an invitational than a come one come all gathering.

BO
Given that the Yahoo! Groups BadBart group was the major known forum for NTN Buzztime players back in that day, and that the first version of this forum started a few years after the last Bash I attended (Houston 2003), and also preceded the NTN Buzztime Forum, a good case could be made for that Bash (and others held before that) as being far closer to invitational, compared to the current come one come all gatherings.

That said, I am not trying to cast any aspersions on the current group of gatherings.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:47 pm 
Himself Fodder

liljol wrote:
That said, I am not trying to cast any aspersions on the current group of gatherings.

Ditto.. As I've always said, these get-togethers are always good things. I just like to poke some things with a stick to see if they'll jump. :)

BO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:48 pm 
Lightning II

Well everyone, apparently Danny K's is having a pay per view fight match on Saturday evening, which means we would have to be out of there before the match starts. Someone mentioned moving it to Mr. B's but they only have 20 boxes. SO, any other ideas???

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Barbie wrote:
Well everyone, apparently Danny K's is having a pay per view fight match on Saturday evening, which means we would have to be out of there before the match starts. Someone mentioned moving it to Mr. B's but they only have 20 boxes. SO, any other ideas???

What match is it? There is nothing this weekend, that I can find. Unless, of course they are paying for something that happened last Sunday, and that is Wrastling. I can't make it anymore because of issues beyond my control. (Damn previous tenants in Colorado trashing our house, grumble, grumble)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:22 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

lewser wrote:
Barbie wrote:

What match is it? There is nothing this weekend, that I can find. Unless, of course they are paying for something that happened last Sunday, and that is Wrastling. I can't make it anymore because of issues beyond my control. (Damn previous tenants in Colorado trashing our house, grumble, grumble)

there isn't even a UFC event..which is a surprise.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:09 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Barbie wrote:

If you are referring to our conversation, I was talking about August. Danny Ks is ok this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:44 am 
Lightning II

OK gang. There is no pay per view this weekend at Danny K's so we are free to spend the entire day and night there. Hope to see a good turn out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:10 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Hmmm... Sounds like Danny K's is getting a little nervous and is making up excuses to back out.

I've never met any of these Danny K players, but they sure seem a little wimpy to me. BARBIE? GOGETEM? What kind of goofballs are these people???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:20 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Tolle wrote:
Hmmm... Sounds like Danny K's is getting a little nervous and is making up excuses to back out.

I've never met any of these Danny K players, but they sure seem a little wimpy to me. BARBIE? GOGETEM? What kind of goofballs are these people???

Hmmmm, should I address this or let Barbie? Hmmmmm :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
Tolle wrote:

Hmmmm, should I address this or let Barbie? Hmmmmm :mrgreen:

Image Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:50 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Sorry to hear Danny K's had a power outage or a bomb scare... really wish you guys could've played and gave us some competition.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:19 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Tolle wrote:
Sorry to hear Danny K's had a power outage or a bomb scare... really wish you guys could've played and gave us some competition.
We have no excuses and we had better weather than did you. Even though 3 of our best players had other commitments, we gave it our best. If that's not good enough, go back to your lemonade or cheap beer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:21 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
Tolle wrote:
We have no excuses and we had better weather than did you. Even though 3 of our best players had other commitments, we gave it our best. If that's not good enough, go back to your lemonade or cheap beer.

Can one define for me cheap beer? From what I was seeing, the beer was flowing, along with Irish Carbombs, Washington Apples and White Russians...

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:09 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
Tolle wrote:

I was just busting you and Barbie's balls. It wouldn't be the same without Danny K's putting a team together against us. We got the better of you this year, but there were several games where we only beat you by a few points and you guys did have a couple of perfect games.

I'll pass on the lemonade but cheap beer... sounds good to me!