New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hosted Trivia Event at Bargos 10/12
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:15 pm 
Nonagenarian

Hey guys,

So Buzztime has been working on a new release called Hosted Trivia: picture live pub trivia with teams, but with a Playmaker instead of a pencil and paper. There is a live host who runs the event on the Buzztime screens and teams share a Playmaker to answer the questions. It's actually quite fun and has been pretty popular in our Southern California, St Louis and Northern Virginia locations.

Soooo Jenn and Tom from Buzztime headquarters will be there to run the event and give away prizes. The event will start at 6:00pm.

I think you'll enjoy the night, so mark your calendars and go out to play :)

Post subject: Re: Hosted Trivia Event at Bargos 10/21
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:24 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:52 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

MaryC wrote:
Hey guys,

So Buzztime has been working on a new release called Hosted Trivia: picture live pub trivia with teams, but with a Playmaker instead of a pencil and paper. There is a live host who runs the event on the Buzztime screens and teams share a Playmaker to answer the questions. It's actually quite fun and has been pretty popular in our Southern California, St Louis and Northern Virginia locations.

Soooo Jenn and Tom from Buzztime headquarters will be there to run the event and give away prizes. The event will start at 6:00pm.

Crap, I'll be in Omaha or I'd of run up. I'm missing everything this year.

Hope it works well, sounds like it could be promising.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:42 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Those of us who live in Louisville KY and work on a Friday probably can't make it for a Thursday trivia game at Bargos. Please try to sched one in the Derby City, perhaps in April (as part of Derby Festival)

Yoda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:29 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

MaryC wrote:
Hey guys,

Is this the Bargo's in Cincinnati?

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:12 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Its too far for me to come for an evening of trivia, but this sounds like a fantastic idea. I hope you find a way to run one in Minneapolis or somewhere in Wisconsin.

Its good to see such an exciting idea.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:11 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

ranger wrote:
Its too far for me to come for an evening of trivia, but this sounds like a fantastic idea. I hope you find a way to run one in Minneapolis or somewhere in Wisconsin.

Its good to see such an exciting idea.

Anyone else in the area thinking about attending????

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

As has already been mentioned elsewhere on here Live pub trivia with multiple choice answers is lame. Live trivia needs open questions.
Is this "hosted trivia" going to have 4 or 5 multiple choice answers or can the MC chose to not show any possible answers?

Also where was this tested in N. VA? At Rick's house? :mrgreen: with his dog as the test player? :?

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Doesn't anyone see that this is Buzztime trying to take an idea from the players (bashes, WVBOs, and Triviapaloozas etc.), putting their own twist on it, and in turn fucking it all up? I live in a city with over 1.5 million people, where we haven't been included in a SIX tourny, travelling trophies, etc; and now I am supposed to give a crap about some 'event' hosted 2000 miles away. When nothing like that will be held anywhere near me, am I supposed to be stoked about this?

Tournaments are fine, local tournaments are fine, something 2000 miles away, I could give two shits about.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:45 am 
Precinct?

Bobby,
How do you really feel?

-EP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:26 pm 

Hey all!

The date is actually Tuesday 10/12 (not 21).

Sorry for the mix-up!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:32 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

krazikatt wrote:
Hey all!

Sorry for the mix-up!

You do realize that is the night of your biggest game - Showdown?

I am now an iffy....

Post subject: Re: Hosted Trivia Event at Bargos 10/12
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:54 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

krazikatt wrote:
Hey all!

Sorry for the mix-up!

I changed the topic / Subject to 10/12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:46 pm 

^ Thanks!

Also - the event is from 6-8pm so it should will not interfere with showdown :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:15 pm 
Nonagenarian

Thanks for changing that Scar :) I went to fix it after I heard about the typo and thought I was going crazy. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:54 am 
Lord of Scaratings

MaryC wrote:
Thanks for changing that Scar :) I went to fix it after I heard about the typo and thought I was going crazy. :)

You're just crazy enough to care about changing it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:10 am 
Octogenarian

krazikatt wrote:
Hey all!

Sorry for the mix-up!

Darn, I was looking forward to this ... not only is Showdown on Tuesday (and we're in a tournament at a different location ... it is possible to get from Bargo's to Blue Goose in 30 minutes, but that would require missing Brainbuster and hoping you don't get caught in traffic, etc.), but I also can't get to there until at least 6:30, so I'm out. Too bad ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:01 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Its a mistake to have this event on a Tuesday night during two big Showdown tournaments.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:26 am 
Lord of Scaratings

BUD wrote:
As has already been mentioned elsewhere on here Live pub trivia with multiple choice answers is lame. Live trivia needs open questions.
:?

I think sitting around with a team to get one answer, and then write it down, and then turn it in, and then wait for someone to attempt to read drinking peoples handwriting, then manually tabulate the scores, then slowly sort the scores, so they can slowly announce the answers and the teams that got them right and wrong,in order of who is ahead, with whatever stupid scoring algorithm they are using for that round,trying to be louder than the background music and conversation levels, is LAME.

Not that they will do it right, but BT has the opportunity to address many of the reasons I refuse to play live trivia. Those functions necessarily require multiple choice. I know it is not the same, but I think I am not alone and their is a part of the market they could address with this format.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:45 pm 
Colt

scar wrote:

I think sitting around with a team to get one answer, and then write it down, and then turn it in, and then wait for someone to attempt to read drinking peoples handwriting, then manually tabulate the scores, then slowly sort the scores, so they can slowly announce the answers and the teams that got them right and wrong,in order of who is ahead, with whatever stupid scoring algorithm they are using for that round,trying to be louder than the background music and conversation levels, is LAME.

Not that they will do it right, but BT has the opportunity to address many of the reasons I refuse to play live trivia. Those functions necessarily require multiple choice. I know it is not the same, but I think I am not alone and their is a part of the market they could address with this format.

I am with you on that. My husband plays Quizzo most Wednesdays, and I go on occasion for a change of scene. Nice place, nice people on the team, and the questions are challenging and fun, but the slow pace kills me. The place we go for Quizzo also has BT, so that keeps us occupied during the lags. For me, some kind of faster-paced live game could be appealing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:

The primary issue with live trivia, head and shoulders above all other considerations, is quizmaster accuracy.
The really good ones are as rare as female Rush fans...
I've never understood what is so bloody hard about the trivia content verification process.

Most of your issues are eliminated by playing solo, BTW.
The pot split ends up working a lot easier that way too. ;)
See, RHINO, we all like to play solo sometimes... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:08 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

spotes wrote:
scar wrote:

The primary issue with live trivia, head and shoulders above all other considerations, is quizmaster accuracy.
I've never understood what is so bloody hard about the trivia content verification process.

Did you mention Rush? The band that has been denied for years rightful membership to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (along with Yes and Kiss)? I love Rush - then again I was a percussionist in High School...

We will see how the Buzztime version of live trivia competes against Last Call Trivia, which is very popular in the Greater Cincinnati area.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:12 am 
Lord of Scaratings

spotes wrote:
scar wrote:

:mrgreen:

Quizmaster accuracy, yes, but I rarely play so it doesn't affect me much. Don't always agree with BT either.

Playing solo doesn't eliminate how grindingly slow live is; it seems even slower because you at least are not debating the answer with your team.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

teverett wrote:
spotes wrote:
scar wrote:

Did you mention Rush? The band that has been denied for years rightful membership to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (along with Yes and Kiss)? I love Rush - then again I was a percussionist in High School...

We will see how the Buzztime version of live trivia competes against Last Call Trivia, which is very popular in the Greater Cincinnati area.

See there Spotes, there are female RUSH fans, I see some at the shows, not too many but enough. I know there is a female RUSH fan down in Tampa that hangs around these boards. :mrgreen:

I think this hosted BS trivia will go over about as well as the sports channel. I can't believe BT is still wasting resources on that mistake. Just get rid of it and put some of the programming back on the main channel.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:27 am 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:
See there Spotes, there are female RUSH fans, I see some at the shows, not too many but enough. I know there is a female RUSH fan down in Tampa that hangs around these boards. :mrgreen:

Very funny, BUD :mrgreen: