New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thanks to SPOTES and 86th Street Pub!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:56 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I was in Indianapolis for the week, and despite the short notice I gave SPOTES that I was there, and despite the fact that he usually just plays in the afternoon, he stuck around 86th St. long enough to play several games with me when I could finally shake myself free to come in.

A box was waiting for me when I got there (he was playing five of them himself--no one else in the bar was playing), and although I did my very best to drag him down (e.g., walking in about 15 minutes after SIX had started, playing one of the five boxes on which he had already gotten a near-perfect score, forgetting what values I had given what categories in the final round, etc.), he still managed to overcome the millstone that was ANON playing with him to give 86th St. the win in SIX; and then top-ten the next few games we played together (including the TOPIX on lizards that neither of us would have chosen to play based on our knowledge [or rather lack thereof]). It was fun to watch him play--as we discussed at the time, Rick Wakeman could probably learn a thing or two from him.

One thing I learned of which I was not aware was that SPOTES, LEWSER, BO, GRIFF and others comprise a veritable Dream Team of sports trivia players (The Springfield Isotopes) that have won five of the last ten "World's Greatest Sports Trivia Championships" held in St. Louis every year. I almost feel sorry for all of the other teams. Almost.
Here are this year's final standings: http://sportstriviachampionship.org/pdf ... inal-2.pdf
Long-overdue congrats from me to them for their dominant success over the past decade.

86th Pub itself is clean and has a good selection of craft brews. The staff there was attentive, but knew to leave us alone while the game was going and knew not to clear off the boxes when we left the table during breaks. I recommend it to people who are passing through Indy.

So, thanks so much to SPOTES for his gracious and indulgent hospitality (and extremely long coat-tails). It was a true pleasure to have the opportunity to play with him.

Post subject: Re: Thanks to SPOTES and 86th Street Pub!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Glad you had a good time.
See how easy it is to win a premium game with fewer than 60 people...? :mrgreen: