New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Old, Old Trivia Bars -- Still Active
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:39 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I picked up my first playmaker -- one of the old gray boxes with the floppy antennas -- in 1993. Since then I've been to quite a few places but sadly, most of them are either gone or no longer NTN clients.

I wonder what bar might have been a customer for the longest time that still carries the game. My nominee is Houligan's in Ormond Beach, FL where the late, highly esteemed GONZO used to call home. (You remember GONZO, don'tcha? He wrote the "Sandbagger's Blues. Hell of a guy.)

Houligan's site number is 182. That means there were probably 181 NTN installations before their time but I'll be surprised if anyone can locate one of those that's still paying for Buzztime today. Maybe somewhere in California or Texas? Current site numbers are approaching the 40k level.

See Houligans at: http://www.buzztime.com/site/182
It's also pretty amazing that they still have that same site number. Whenever a bar replaces their processor, they get assigned a new, current number. I can't imagine a processor still running that was installed over 20 years ago!

Post subject: Re: Old, Old Trivia Bars -- Still Active
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:48 am 
Himself Fodder

In the old QB1 playoffs the brackets used to contain the site's ID number as well, therefore I always remembered this site.

http://www.buzztime.com/site/2

Kind of difficult to find one older.

I used to play some at a Humperdink's here in DFW with an ID number of 37 I think it was.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Wow, I think we have a winner. Amazing that they're still along for the ride after such a spell.

I was thinking that maybe Humperdinks in Addison may have been going longer than Houligans. But certainly not longer that Site #2.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:43 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

You know, for such an old customer, they sure don't play much here. Only 34 Countdown games played in the last six months.

I wonder why they still pay for it? Maybe NTN gave them a lifetime deal when they signed up?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:26 pm 
Himself Fodder

S O B wrote:
Wow, I think we have a winner. Amazing that they're still along for the ride after such a spell.

I was thinking that maybe Humperdinks in Addison may have been going longer than Houligans. But certainly not longer that Site #2.

Humps in Addison was the one I mentioned that used to be #37, but it did move a few hundred yards some time back. Humps in Richardson was #122 I believe, the code was AES so I'm pretty sure that works out mathematically. But it closed not long ago, had really gone downhill.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:33 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

My home site, RTO's in Mesa has had BT for 20 years. They have moved to larger locations 2 or 3 times since their original location, which is now O'Kelleys. That site shows as being number 1374 and RTO's was there many years before that. My good friend John aka D OH started playing there when they opened in 1993.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:51 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

In the DC area the longest surviving BT bar is Sullivans in Laurel at #345. They are still very active. Home of LILPOL.
http://www.buzztime.com/site/345

In the larger Mid Atlantic area it would be Smitty McGee's in Selbyville DE at #258. They are not as active as they used to be but still doing fine and it's always on a tv when walking in. I talked to the owner about how long they have had BT and what she pays and she said it was indeed less than current prices. It seems there was a time, years ago, when BT offered a price cap for the older NTN bars if they kept their service uninterrupted.
http://www.buzztime.com/site/258

Also I don't believe the site numbers change when the computer is replaced. Hardtimes (RIP) had the computer replaced 2 or 3 times over the years with no site number change. I know Smittys has gone through a bunch of computers in 25+ years, still at #258. Now if there is ownership change there may be a site # change.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:58 am 
Himself Fodder

BUD wrote:
Also I don't believe the site numbers change when the computer is replaced. Hardtimes (RIP) had the computer replaced 2 or 3 times over the years with no site number change. I know Smittys has gone through a bunch of computers in 25+ years, still at #258. Now if there is ownership change there may be a site # change.

This. If there is a contract change, such as new ownership, the site number changes. At least that's how it used to be. Stadium Cafe has lost several CPU's but the only site number change was when new owners bought the place. Went from 6417(JMV, Jan Michael Vincent) to 14906(WBI, Warner Brothers Incorporated)