New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Buzztime (sort of) in New Orleans
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:35 pm 
Colt

I went to Jimani's which is right across the street from my hotel. I was there 15 minutes and couldn't get anyone from the staff's attention, so I walked out. However, I did answer two or three questions on Countdown before I left, so I have played there.

Not recommended.

ESB

Post subject: Re: Buzztime (sort of) in New Orleans
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:18 pm 
Lightning II

I play at Jimini whenever I'm in NOLA. It does sometimes take a little while to get the bartenders attention and, yes, it is a dive, but they have a great beer selection and there is usually some other trivia players. AESOP,a British bloke, usually stops by late afternoons on weekdays. They also stopped allowing smoking, which makes it more pleasant for me.

The place has ghosts, however. Back in 1973 someone threw a gasoline bomb into the stairway leading up to a nightclub above Jimini. You can read about it and get other info about Jimini here.

http://www.thejimani.com/ourstory/theup ... ounge.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Lumpy wrote:
I play at Jimini whenever I'm in NOLA. It does sometimes take a little while to get the bartenders attention and, yes, it is a dive, but they have a great beer selection and there is usually some other trivia players. AESOP,a British bloke, usually stops by late afternoons on weekdays. They also stopped allowing smoking, which makes it more pleasant for me.

The place has ghosts, however. Back in 1973 someone threw a gasoline bomb into the stairway leading up to a nightclub above Jimini. You can read about it and get other info about Jimini here.

http://www.thejimani.com/ourstory/theup ... ounge.html

Another bar with ghosts, Spirits on Bourbon, was a bar that was helped by Bar Rescue... Jimini need to improve on the bartenders' speed... how can they stay in business with the slow service???

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:05 pm 
Lightning II

MitchWolf wrote:

Another bar with ghosts, Spirits on Bourbon, was a bar that was helped by Bar Rescue... Jimini need to improve on the bartenders' speed... how can they stay in business with the slow service???

I guess since I'm a regular I get better service

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:01 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Lumpy wrote:
MitchWolf wrote:

So you are regularly in the Big Easy ? Had some really good meals there and in Baton Rouge, but haven't played trivia in Louisiana.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:04 pm 
Lightning II

scar wrote:
Lumpy wrote:
MitchWolf wrote:

So you are regularly in the Big Easy ? Had some really good meals there and in Baton Rouge, but haven't played trivia in Louisiana.

Yes, I usually visit NOLA a couple times a year. I'm always invited to speak at the Louisiana pipeline safety conference which is always at the Royal Sonesta in the middle of Bourbon St every July. July isn't the best weather, but no more hot and humid than DC in July.

A funny, trivia-related, thing happened in 2014. I was playing Lunchtime at Jimini killing time before my 4 pm flight home and got two 7,000's in a row. The phone rings behind the bar, the bartender answers, looks confused for a few seconds, then hands the phone to me, saying "It's for you." Turns out some players at Boomerjacks in Ft Worth, TX saw me on top two game sin a row, looked up Jimini's # and called to congratulate me. So now I have a fan club. I stopped by Boomerjacks on a trip to Ft worth later that year but no sign of them. I thought I might at least get a free beer out of it. LOL

And yes, the food in NOLA is fantastic. Hard to go wrong. I always try to hit Pascale's Manale for BBQ shrimp. It's cholesterol, baked in more cholesterol, served in a bowl of cholesterol, but it's so good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:44 am 
Lord of Scaratings

I've stayed at the Royal Sonesta, enjoyed it.