New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: How Many Sites Have you Played Buzztime at?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:51 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Here's where I can remember having played

Calgary (27)
Stix Billiards (my first NTN experience, circa 1997), Hospitality Inn**, Melrose Café**, Rembrandt's**, Hose & Hound*, Red Fox Pub*, Dickens Pub, Kensington Pub, Schanks South*, Schanks North*, Boston Pizza Dalhousie, Bugaboo Creek Pub, Hexter's, Kilkenny Pub Brentwood*, Black Lion Pub, Jameson's Pub Sunridge, Border Crossing*, Bonasera Pizza*, Elbow Room (Glenmore Inn), BWW MacLeod*, Peanut Pub*, Pete's Peanut Pub (no relation)*, Richmond's Pub, Point & Feather*, Three Crowns, Dixon's Pub
EDIT: Forgot all about Boccavino**. Thanks, TANSI, for jogging my memory

Canada (14)
BC: Poolside, Victoria • Mickie's, Kelowna • some place, Nelson • some other place, Radium Hot Springs
AB: Touch of Class (Chateau Louis Hotel), Edmonton* • Crown and Anchor, Edm. • Schanks, Edm. • R Pub, Edm. • Bonnyville Inn, Bonnyville • some place, Red Deer
SK: none
MB: Movado, Winnipeg
ON: Scotland Yard, Toronto • Wolf & Firkin (I think), Toronto • New Edinburgh, Ottawa
QC and east: none

USA (24)
CA: Black Angus Chula Vista, San Diego
DC: Hyatt Grand Slam
FL: Woodside Lanes, Naples
GA: Sidebar, Atlanta
MA: The Place, Boston
MI: Fletcher’s, Kalamazoo
MO: BWW Springfield
NJ: Lamp Post, Jersey City • a bowling alley bar, Maple Shade
NY: A&M Roadhouse • Mad River* • Church Street Grill • Broadway Station • Runyon's, Seaford*
OH: Bargo's Springfield Pike, outer Cincinnati* • BWW Sandusky • Stringz n Wingz, outer Cleveland • That place BIGDOG took me to on the way to the Greyhound Station • West Park Station, inner Cleveland • By Golly’s, Cincinnati
TX: Coaches, Houston • The Concert Pub, Houston • Mezzanine Lounge, Houston
UT: The Puck, Salt Lake City

A total of 65 sites across 4 provinces and 12 states that I remember for sure. There's a half dozen other local places I can remember visiting, but not if it was for trivia or something else
* = visited more than once, ** = official PENGWN home site, past or present

Last edited by pengwn on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:23 pm 
Centenarian

Probably about 20 sites, most in CT, a few in Maine and Mass., think I played at a site in delaware once :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:12 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Just found this thread so pardon me for joining the discussion so late.

I've played in 472 NTN establishments.

First time was in 1993 in a Damon's in Pittsburgh but I didn't really get into it until finding the game again in my local Tampa neighborhood; a fine place called Hubb's Pubb. Many oldtimers on this board will recall that venue.

In 1997, I started a spreadsheet listing everyplace I could remember playing by that point. There were only 15 places on the list by then and I may have missed a couple I couldn't remember at that point but it's probably close to accurate. Since that time I have continued to update my list with the date and location of every new place I've played. So I'm pretty sure of that 472 figure.

I've tried to also keep my list current with what locations are still NTN clients. By my reckoning, 302 of them have either quit paying for it or gone out of business.

[One other thing I must mention in my accounting is that when a bar changes ownership and changes its name, I consider it a different bar. If the new owners then continue with NTN, I consider it new location on my list. There is one bar here in town that has gone from being the Yellow Rose to The Ale House to Johnny G's to the Rockin' Hard Café to Murphy's. Five different names; five different owners and they still have NTN today after my first visit fifteen years ago. I count it as five locations on my list.. You might argue.]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:44 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
Years ago, DAWG and I hit every BT site in Hillbillyville in one weekend, which was 14...I think.

An admirable feat.

I can't compete with that but I would like to describe a Tampa event which took place February 6th, 1999, that begs comparison. A group of fifteen regulars from Hubb's Pubb embarked on a Saturday Pub Crawl to invade most of the NTN sites in our fair city at that time. Bill & Mary Connell, the managers and recent buyer/owners of Hubb's, participated and even hired a stretch limo to ferry the alcohol-infested group from bar to bar. That wasn't enough, as enthusiasm for the event grew and so many people wanted to join that I also had to drive my 8-passenger Ford Expedition to get everyone where they needed to be.

That day we hit a lot of bars. Fortunately, one of our guys worked for a sportswear company and provided us all with matching tee shirts that listed all the bars where we played on the back: Hubb's, Temple Terrace Lounge, Primetime, Boba Louie's, Nickel City and the Yellow Rose Steak House. We spent at least one hour at each site and took over their leaderboards for the month.

Among our group that afternoon was a big fellow named Marcus Jones, DE for the NFL Buccaneers. He carried our trophy (equivalent at the time to the Travelling Trophy signifying our dominance of the local NTN scene.) He was security for the group and a terrific fellow. At our first stop, at 10 am, Marcus popped for a round of Jaeger bombs to get us off to a flying start. Interesting sideline: the last place we visited, Nickel City, caught the eye of our host, Bill Connell. He spoke to the owner while we were there, did his due diligence and a few weeks later purchased the bar and renamed it Bilmar Station, Town & Country Depot. By then, Hubb's had been renamed Bilmar Station (for BILl & MARy).

It was a wonderful day and an event that we've remembered for a long time. I can't believe we never did it again!?? I've put my long suffering wife through many NTN pub crawls on our vacations but never again done an organized one with my trivia homies.

Perhaps we need a thread for pub crawls but this was a real good one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:33 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

S O B wrote:

I've played in 472 NTN establishments.

First time was in 1993 in a Damon's in Pittsburgh but I didn't really get into it until finding the game again in my local Tampa neighborhood; a fine place called Hubb's Pubb. Many oldtimers on this board will recall that venue.

In 1997, I started a spreadsheet listing everyplace I could remember playing by that point. There were only 15 places on the list by then and I may have missed a couple I couldn't remember at that point but it's probably close to accurate. Since that time I have continued to update my list with the date and location of every new place I've played. So I'm pretty sure of that 472 figure.

I've tried to also keep my list current with what locations are still NTN clients. By my reckoning, 302 of them have either quit paying for it or gone out of business.

[One other thing I must mention in my accounting is that when a bar changes ownership and changes its name, I consider it a different bar. If the new owners then continue with NTN, I consider it new location on my list. There is one bar here in town that has gone from being the Yellow Rose to The Ale House to Johnny G's to the Rockin' Hard Café to Murphy's. Five different names; five different owners and they still have NTN today after my first visit fifteen years ago. I count it as five locations on my list.. You might argue.]

You should post the list, copy and paste from the spreadsheet.

I would find it interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:55 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

scar wrote:

What? And then have Joel show me up by posting his (much longer) list?

I don't wanna play "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours" with him.

It'd just be so humiliating.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:34 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I have been to 38 places here in AZ, 3 in TX and 1 in NM.

Nowhere near some of you, but I don't get out of town much to expand on different sites.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
scar wrote:

I must credit Scott for compelling me to make a spreadsheet, after I told him during my one and only visit to Louisville, KY in 05 that I had all of my info in a Word file.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:23 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

liljol wrote:
S O B wrote:
scar wrote:

I must credit Scott for compelling me to make a spreadsheet, after I told him during my one and only visit to Louisville, KY in 05 that I had all of my info in a Word file.

I can just hear Clippy now: "It looks like you've been on another O'Doul's bender!" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:52 pm 
Special

I have no idea how many places, but it's a lot (but probably not 761...).

I used to travel a lot, and I've been in all 50 states and most Canukistanian provinces. I usually select lodgings based upon proximity to NTN, and would triv in the evenings.

Nowadays I play maybe once per week almost always at my home bar, Espresso in Gloucester, MA. So the unknown tally is not rising at this point.

Heck, I'm even thinking of going into trivia retirement. Espresso may raise my QUAHOG jersey to the rafters...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:10 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

S O B wrote:

I can out-late your late :)

I'm so late in the conversation that I'll add a bunch of other useless trivia about my playing locales. :)

Been playing since '94 when the ex and I discovered the game at a sportsbar while on vacation in Palm Springs. As soon as we got back home in NorCal, we started exploring just about every NTN venue in the Bay Area. Of course, that's not THAT many, never has been exactly a site-rich area. Maybe 30 sites...

Then we moved to Portland. Over the 18 years I lived up there, I must have tried some 50 spots in the area and elsewhere in Oregon plus maybe a dozen in the Seattle area and one or two in Vancouver BC.

Played maybe 5 places in Denver... Um... One in NJ... One in Louisville...

Moved back to the Bay Area and have tried mayyybe 20 more places here and in the Sac area since I got back 3 years ago.

Sounds like a little over 120 places for me in 22 years.

I think I've housed my P+ points at seven "home sites" over the years. One of my two handles (Like many did, I started up a 2nd handle named FSPLIT for *some* reason awhile back) will get a new home when the BWW in Concord, CA finally opens, making it eight... That was supposed to happen in March, but I'd say the grand opening is a month or two away based on a drive-by look the other day.

Over the years, I've had only a few registered handles... Started with KIDD, then BIGRED, then RACKME, then RTSHAW. Added the FSPLIT, which eventually became BIX, the one I use nearly all the time now. BIX has 1.6 million P+ points. RTSHAW has almost 22 million points, at least half of which I accumulated in my first five or six years of realllllly heavy activity.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Opiee and I are about to add 2 more to our list in the next few days. Rockin Crepes here we come on Friday. JTs next week. Hang on Liljol.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:43 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The subject question piqued my interest and while trying to remember all the places I've played it occurred that most have dropped Buzztime and a large number are also out of business. Is there a list of all the sites that have hosted Buzztime over the years?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:00 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Not that I know of. LilJols reviews on Don Denton's site would be a start.

http://ntn.donrdenton.com/siteratings.php3

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. IIRC there weren't all that many reviews on Don Denton's site. :(

IMO only Buzztime would have the information on all sites that have subscribed, and it would be a huge surprise if they were to ever consider releasing such data, given that there seems to be little if any benefit to doing so. :roll: FWIW, the only reason for this lil old grump to have even a lil interest in such data is to fill in the addresses for those now defunct sites for which net searches turn up empty. :(

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!