New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:36 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

So, I have been in Atlanta for a week and so far trivia players are pretty sparse.

I did go out to Locos Deli & Pub in Alpaharetta on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, where there were some team players, and we put up a #1 or two, along with some top 5s.

If the bar gets a top 5, all the players get a free drink, limit 2. I think they only have 10 boxes but not sure. So the team play is very accepted, if not embraced. A little hard to read as I was a Bold Interloper in their group, but they were all generally friendly.

The other places I have tried have not been noteworthy due to absence of players.

Post subject: Re: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:46 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

scar wrote:
So, I have been in Atlanta for a week and so far trivia players are pretty sparse.

I did go out to Locos Deli & Pub in Alpaharetta on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, where there were some team players, and we put up a #1 or two, along with some top 5s.

If the bar gets a top 5, all the players get a free drink, limit 2. I think they only have 10 boxes but not sure. So the team play is very accepted, if not embraced. A little hard to read as I was a Bold Interloper in their group, but they were all generally friendly.

The other places I have tried have not been noteworthy due to absence of players.

Go to Sidebar!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:50 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:
scar wrote:

Go to Sidebar!!!

Go to Mellow Mushroom!!!
Stop hanging out at those ucky B-dubs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:53 pm 
Golden Tee Master

oh no, evil Dante has 666 posts. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:57 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

cards wrote:

I will never post again, so it stays that way!

Wait...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
cards wrote:

Wait...

Damn! Looks like you're here to stay.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

MitchWolf wrote:
Dante wrote:
cards wrote:

Wait...

Damn! Looks like you're here to stay.

How did you know what my mom said when I was born???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
How did you know what my mom said when I was born???

Lucky Guess I Suppose... :mrgreen:

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 am 
Centenarian

Uncle Scar...let us know ahead of time and GOBLUE & I will cone up for a trivia Saturday sometime. Welcome to GA. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:36 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

TOOTS wrote:
Uncle Scar...let us know ahead of time and GOBLUE & I will cone up for a trivia Saturday sometime. Welcome to GA. :-)

Sure 'nuff. It'll be a little while though... Saturday and Sunday are find a place to live days for now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:09 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

cards wrote:
Dante wrote:
Go to Sidebar!!!

Go to Mellow Mushroom!!!

I really didn't fit in with the crowd at Sidebar. I think, looking back, that I was just too old to fit in...but most of us posting here would be too old for a college-aged crowd, which was what I encountered my three visits to Sidebar. Those who do fit in really like the place.

I had a bad visit at Mellow Mushroom, but I'm absolutely convinced that it was a one-time fluke that a bartender there refused to turn on Buzztime. There's a good group of players, an excellent selection of draft beer, and that great Mellow Mushroom pizza if you go there: it's really worth a try. It's walking distance from the Metro, IIRC, as a bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:13 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

WB TANAKA wrote:

I really didn't fit in with the crowd at Sidebar. I think, looking back, that I was just too old to fit in...but most of us posting here would be too old for a college-aged crowd, which was what I encountered my three visits to Sidebar. Those who do fit in really like the place.

I found the people at Sidebar to be possibly the nicest people I've ever met in a trivia establishment, and I was definitely a bit out of place given the crowd. I'd say it's would be easy to feel out of place, but after a beer or two, the people there are a delight. The prices, especially for downtown Atlanta, made it even more worth it. Plus, I found it quieter than most of the BDubs around here. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:37 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:
WB TANAKA wrote:

I found the people at Sidebar to be possibly the nicest people I've ever met in a trivia establishment, and I was definitely a bit out of place given the crowd. I'd say it's would be easy to feel out of place, but after a beer or two, the people there are a delight. The prices, especially for downtown Atlanta, made it even more worth it. Plus, I found it quieter than most of the BDubs around here. :)

So you're telling Scar to go downtown to play trivia. :P :P :P
Too funny, good luck with the traffic. Go to the Mushroom and save a couple of hours everyday. I still miss the one in Knoxville. Great place.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:31 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

cards wrote:
Dante wrote:
scar wrote:

Go to Sidebar!!!

Go to Mellow Mushroom!!!

Another vote for the Mellow Mushroom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:39 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Dante wrote:
WB TANAKA wrote:

My first visit was on an evening, and the regular crowd had a pretty big start over me in beers consumed. That might've affected my experience. I'm very happy that your experience as a visitor was different.

When I visited Sidebar, the music was so loud that the walls were vibrating. Without exaggeration, the ambient noise in the bar was well over 100 dB, and probably on the range of 120+ dB, the sort of noise that causes hearing loss. I've never been in any other Buzztime site of any sort that was so loud.

I'll concur with you that the prices were quite reasonable for downtown Atlanta. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:27 am 
Moderating Hobbit

WB TANAKA wrote:

When I visited Sidebar, the music was so loud that the walls were vibrating. Without exaggeration, the ambient noise in the bar was well over 100 dB, and probably on the range of 120+ dB, the sort of noise that causes hearing loss. I've never been in any other Buzztime site of any sort that was so loud.

Like I said, quieter than our local BDubs normally are. :) I've been in a BDubs here over a weekend and literally been unable to hear the person next to me. I really dislike having to revert to reading lips in a bar. We do have one semi-quiet Bdubs though.

I have noticed the BDubs in other places (Cincinnati, etc.) seem to be quieter though :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:29 am 
Lotsa Posta

Dante wrote:
WB TANAKA wrote:

Like I said, quieter than our local BDubs normally are. :) I've been in a BDubs here over a weekend and literally been unable to hear the person next to me. I really dislike having to revert to reading lips in a bar. We do have one semi-quiet Bdubs though.

I have noticed the BDubs in other places (Cincinnati, etc.) seem to be quieter though :)
That's not the case in Buena Park. We got tired of asking them to turn the volume down, so we stopped going there. Lake Forest is a lot better, so we still visit that location.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:07 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Stopped in the Mellow Mushroom in Brookhaven for a few games (BT calls it Mellow Mushroom Atlanta) about 7:30. No one was playing. Pizza was pretty good. Please was full of kids and parents, with some expectant mothers.

Two of players signed on while I was there.

Large facility and expansive outside seating. Service was spotty, but it was pretty crowded and live trivia started while I was there.

I'll go back sometime, but it is a bit of a drive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:03 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Well, I actually looked at The Season : League Page.

Atlanta is the only 0-14 team.

Amazing how little BT trivia play there is here.