New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: South Portland ME 27 OCT 2011
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:11 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I'll be in South Portland, ME Thursday evening. I'll probably drop by Thatcher's for Six and stay there 'til they close. If anybody from South Portland or the rest of Southern Maine lurks here, I'd be happy to buy you a beer if you say that you saw my post on Scaratings. I'll be logged in as WB.

Look forward to seeing whomever shows up!

Post subject: Re: South Portland ME 27 OCT 2011
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Don't count on that one. :mrgreen: Maine is pretty well under represented in BT land.
The Sea Dog in Bangor, which is close to Stephen King's house, does show up around happy hour but that's not even close to Portland.

Where do you normally play?

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:03 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Don't count on that one. :mrgreen: Maine is pretty well under represented in BT land.
The Sea Dog in Bangor, which is close to Stephen King's house, does show up around happy hour but that's not even close to Portland.

Where do you normally play?

I've played with the crowd at the Sea Dog; you'll find some pretty good reviews of the team there written by me and posted at the Buzztime site. ET watches his time at the bar pretty closely, as he's very health-conscious, so it's mostly 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM that you'll see Sea Dog.

I'm WB from BWW Farmville, Virginia, the little town of 6,000 (and that's the biggest community for 45 miles in any direction) that believes that it can compete in the Buzztime universe. We're a lunchtime to 3:30 PM site, so most folks don't see us much. We can't compete with the big guys in prime time, and we don't try: we had a Showdown team a few years back, and we were around 100th-best in the US and Canada. Playing in the early medal games we enjoy a bit better success; most folks who play at lunchtime in the Eastern Time Zone would recognize Farmville.

I agree that Maine isn't Buzztime Mecca, but Greater Portland has a quarter-million people...they have the talent to contend if they chose to do so. I just thought I'd see who answered.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:16 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Been to the Sea Dog once, only one person was playing and they quit when Opiee and I got 2 boxes each. :mrgreen: We were just trying to make 5 for a score. :roll:

Ok, I have seen Farmville VA up there a few times and wondered where that was. Must be far from N.Va.

At Hardtimes we mostly play 630pm and on when it's tougher to make the boards, but we still do quite often.

Good luck in Maine.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:39 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Been to the Sea Dog once, only one person was playing and they quit when Opiee and I got 2 boxes each. :mrgreen: We were just trying to make 5 for a score. :roll:

Good luck in Maine.

The regulars at Sea Dog know about multi-boxing now. They didn't when I first played there around 3-4 years ago. I hope that they're back to ten boxes from five...that was a royal pain. :x

Quote:
Ok, I have seen Farmville VA up there a few times and wondered where that was. Must be far from N.Va.

It's near the geographic center of the state. It's almost 200 miles and almost four hours from Germantown, MD, a bit more than an hour south of Charlottesville. It's what was tobacco country.

Quote:
At Hardtimes we mostly play 630pm and on when it's tougher to make the boards, but we still do quite often.

Checking the stats, BUD, you and I are similar players by common game average: you're a bit better at Countdown; I'm a bit higher in Buzztime Trivia. When I check your games, though, you usually have a bit more help around...you usually have 13-14 registered boxes in play for Six, for example, while I can find only one game of any sort with ten registered boxes in play at BWW Farmville in the past six months (and there was multi-boxing going on that game). Germantown has a greater population per square mile than Farmville has population; 10.8 square mile Germantown has almost twice as many people as the 1,238 square mile tri-county area around Farmville.

You certainly do make the boards quite often, though. Kudos! :)

There's no Buzztime league for low-population areas (except, maybe, Mountain Time Zone Lunchtime Trivia Leader Boards, but I digress), but there are low-population times. We favor low-population times in Farmville. My wife RXMAW and I have occasionally ventured around the US and Canada and competed at sites and times with more players; candidly, we hold our own, but we can't match the quality of play of Hard Times Germantown, of Stained Glass, and of other excellent sites in the suburbs or hearts of large cities.

But there's no reason that South Portland, with the population of Germantown available within a six-mile radius, shouldn't be able to compete in Buzztime. That said, let me modify my comment that I'd be there to play: if Maine is really getting wet snow Thursday night, as the current forecast suggests, and if I don't see an RSVP from a Scaratings member, I'm not venturing out from my hotel a mile and a half across streets without sidewalks to play Six. Maine is cold, but accumulating October snow is ridiculous! Furthermore, I remember terrible taxi service around Portland, and neither driving drunk nor playing sober is an acceptable option in my book.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:48 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I didn't get to Thatcher's for Six due to the storm (and, as an aside, I drove through snow through 80% of my return trip to Virginia in October: this is absurd), but I did visit Thatcher's for Happy Hour. I have never seen such a meticulously clean sports bar.

http://www.buzztime.com/players/bt_site ... ?sid=23573

:lol: