New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another One Bites the Dust...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Another One Bites the Dust...

Have some fun, watch and listen to this before you read any farther:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo

Over the decades that I have played NTN trivia at many bars, sadly I have seen more drop trivia, where I used to play, than still exist, where I play today. Most were no big surprise, with the exceptions of Damon's on Hurstbourne Lane, (Which had trivia until it went out of business), and Friday's on Linn Station Road.

However, last week David Brown (DHB) and I had a big surprise, when we went up to play trivia at Cadillac Jack's in Dayton's suburb, Kettering, Ohio. As I am sure that you all know, this was one of the best trivia bars in the country for many years. We walked in, looked around, and saw nobody playing trivia. I asked the gal, who was tending bar, "Where are all of the trivia players?" She looked down and said, "We dropped trivia three weeks ago. They all go to Elsa's to play now."

If Damon's, Friday's, and Cadillac Jacks can bite the dust, I guess no place is safe.

Anyway, I envision this thread as a place where we can post old stories of NTN bars that dropped trivia, as well as new ones that bite the dust.

(I'm waiting to hear stories from you guys about bars that have dropped trivia.)

Post subject: Re: Another One Bites the Dust...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:45 pm 
Himself Fodder

Um, CLOUDY, you might just want to peruse the non free-for-all forums on occasion. :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1208&start=0

But we still love you. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:16 am 
Lotsa Posta

I don't know, BO. In Cloudy's defense, if he keeps going to places that are droping trivia, he might not be able to play anymore at all, and the only thing he would be able to talk about is non Buzztime topics.

Personally, I never walked into a place and found out they had dropped it. Friday's would have been the biggest disappointment, followed by the two in Georgetown Ky, but are now also under different ownerships.

Post subject: Yeah, now I know that it was already posted, but...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Um, CLOUDY, you might just want to peruse the non free-for-all forums on occasion. :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1208&start=0

But we still love you. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yeah, now I know that it was already posted, but, I think creating a new topic for every trivia bar that bites the dust could become cumbersome over time. You may disagree, but in my opinion a single topic dedicated to just bars that drop trivia is more efficient, and makes it easier for people to find out who has bitten the dust.

p.s. I did not ignore the posts that talked about Cadillac Jack's dropping trivia, and start this topic intentionally disregarding those posts. I just didn't think to look for them where they were.

Post subject: The night Damon's dropped trivia...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MiniYoda wrote:
I don't know, BO. In Cloudy's defense, if he keeps going to places that are droping trivia, he might not be able to play anymore at all, and the only thing he would be able to talk about is non Buzztime topics.

Personally, I never walked into a place and found out they had dropped it. Friday's would have been the biggest disappointment, followed by the two in Georgetown Ky, but are now also under different ownerships.

The night Damon's (Louisville) dropped trivia, LitlE and I were getting off of I-64 and going down the exit ramp to Hurstbourne Lane headed for Friday's, when my cell phone rang. It was SCAR. He told me that Damon's was going out of business that night, and selling draught beer for something like 40 cents a mug to get rid of it. LitlE and I immediately changed our lane, turned left at the bottom of the exit ramp instead of right, and headed straight over to Damon's. Sad as it was that Damon's bit the dust, we all had one Hell of a good time that night.

p.s. I was in Rome, NY, the night Friday's (Louisville) dropped trivia, when I got a call from BIGCAT. She was distraught, extremely upset, and perhaps close to tears, as she told me that she had just gotten there, and found out that Friday's had dropped trivia, without any warning. She now plays at Ernesto's on Shelbyville Road, however, I will predict that Ernesto's will more than likely be my next post here on "Another One Bites the Dust". :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, having dragged my poor tired lil old cheap grumpy ass through more than a few NTN Buzztime sites Image, based on my most recent experiences here in NTN Buzztime's (Just Plain Old) Site-Poor Backyard, I've come to several conclusions as to why sites subscribe and then discontinue... :(

A new subscribing site needs to have their regular customers before the installation play the games and play them regularly on more than just one day. Of course, it also helps more than a lil if the staff encourages them. :roll:

Those regular players then need to continue playing even if other players come in and provide formidable or stronger competition. This isn't to say that the two groups need to join forces, but should the regular players decide to stop playing (either due to the more formidable competition or otherwise), that almost certainly will mean the end of NTN Buzztime there.

The following will likely be seen as more than a lil indulgence (imagine that :lol:), but I am more than a lil convinced that my periodic visits to at least a couple of now gone sites here contributed to their decisions to discontinue. The looks of discouragement on their regular players' faces when I played may not have registered then, but after further review they now speak volumes.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Re: The night Damon's dropped trivia...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:52 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Cloudy wrote:
MiniYoda wrote:

The night Damon's (Louisville) dropped trivia, LitlE and I were getting off of I-64 and going down the exit ramp to Hurstbourne Lane headed for Friday's, when my cell phone rang. It was SCAR. He told me that Damon's was going out of business that night, and selling draught beer for something like 40 cents a mug to get rid of it. LitlE and I immediately changed our lane, turned left at the bottom of the exit ramp instead of right, and headed straight over to Damon's. Sad as it was that Damon's bit the dust, we all had one Hell of a good time that night.

p.s. I was in Rome, NY, the night Friday's (Louisville) dropped trivia, when I got a call from BIGCAT. She was distraught, extremely upset, and perhaps close to tears, as she told me that she had just gotten there, and found out that Friday's had dropped trivia, without any warning. She now plays at Ernesto's on Shelbyville Road, however, I will predict that Ernesto's will more than likely be my next post here on "Another One Bites the Dust". :(

It was 25 cents a beer.

Post subject: Rumor has it...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rumor has it that Cadillac Jack's in Kettering, OH, will have NTN trivia again on February 1, 2012. However, I have also heard that the idiot, who runs the place, will only have ten trivia boxes, when Buzztime returns.

I guess at this time my post is the antithesis of "Another One Bites the Dust", but with only ten trivia boxes, it could turn out to be "Another One Bites the Dust" once more.

p.s. I should add, that after talking to them tonight, many of the old Cadillac Jack's players have moved on to other trivia bars in the area, and found places they like. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:13 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
...Over the decades that I have played NTN trivia at many bars, sadly I have seen more drop trivia, where I used to play, than still exist, where I play today...

Almost assuredly, if you have played the game for a long time, a majority of your NTN play sites are no longer available. I keep a log on an excel file and of the 437 sites I've visited, at least 227 are known to have closed down or cancelled the game.

LILJOL claims over 750 sites: I expect 4-500 of those musta bit the dust by now as well. This could be a real long thread if he ever decides to rhapsodize over all the places to which he may never return.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
...Over the decades that I have played NTN trivia at many bars, sadly I have seen more drop trivia, where I used to play, than still exist, where I play today...

Almost assuredly, if you have played the game for a long time, a majority of your NTN play sites are no longer available. I keep a log on an excel file and of the 437 sites I've visited, at least 227 are known to have closed down or cancelled the game.

LILJOL claims over 750 sites: I expect 4-500 of those musta bit the dust by now as well. This could be a real long thread if he ever decides to rhapsodize over all the places to which he may never return.

Hells bells, don't get me started... :roll: :cry:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:12 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Calgary's down to 16 sites (plus 1 in Airdrie), considering Beckham's dumped BT shortly before it became Houston's. Last year when I checked, we still had two dozen sites :cry:

Of those 16, I've visited 10. However, I can think of 11 former locations that I've played in for sure, with another half dozen not sures (Did I play there, or just think about dropping in some day . . .). I suppose if there's any good news, it's that the sites that actually see some regular players tend to keep the game

Cripes, the next closest location geographically speaking is in friggin' Elkford BC, a longer drive than any of the Edmonton sites, let alone Red Deer or Lethbridge

Post subject: Ernesto's (Louisville) is gone for the time being...?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Ernesto's on Shelbyville Road in Louisville is gone for the time being...?

My buddy David (DHB) and I decided to give Ernesto's another try a week or so ago. When we drove into the parking lot, we saw that Ernesto's was closed, so we went up to Buffalo Wild Wings in Middletown, where we encounter LOBB. LOBB told us that Ernesto's had shut their doors for three months to relocate, but they would have NTN trivia again, once they got reestablished. I'll let you know, if this really happens. :?

Post subject: Re: Ernesto's (Louisville) is gone for the time being...?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:11 am 
Golden Tee Master

Cloudy wrote:
Ernesto's on Shelbyville Road in Louisville is gone for the time being...?

My buddy David (DHB) and I decided to give Ernesto's another try a week or so ago. When we drove into the parking lot, we saw that Ernesto's was closed, so we went up to Buffalo Wild Wings in Middletown, where we encounter LOBB. LOBB told us that Ernesto's had shut their doors for three months to relocate, but they would have NTN trivia again, once they got reestablished. I'll let you know, if this really happens. :?

A lot of rumors running around on Ernesto's. Fact is they filed for bankruptcy and closed two of their locations. Don't look for them to be back any time soon. Wishful thinking on some people's part. I have heard some of the rumors. Humorous at best. No way they are going to reopen at Staxx's with a Mexican restuarant next door and one across the street. Please tell LOBB to stop spreading silly rumors. Although I suspect he is just repeating what he has heard from others.

Last edited by cards on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ernesto's (Louisville) is gone for the time being...?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:

A lot of rumors running around on Ernesto's. Fact is they filed for bankruptcy and closed all three of their locations. Don't look for them to be back any time soon. Wishful thinking on some people's part. I have heard some of the rumors. Humorous at best. No way they are going to reopen at Staxx's with a Mexican restuarant next door and one across the street. Please tell LOBB to stop spreading silly rumors. Although I suspect he is just repeating what he has heard from others.

I agree if places are closing, that's one thing. But get the facts straight b4 airing it out. I thought one place was dropping NTN but when go there after playing somewhere else that night, it got the system corrected....still good chance it may dropped but not sure is the reason why I am not saying the name of the place til it's official

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:03 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I see that the Think Tank in Cambridge, MA no longer has the system. When I visited it last May, I was the only one playing, and they were nice enough to let me have five boxes for SciFiles. One would have thought it would have done well with Buzztime with a little encouragement as its located within easy walking distance of MIT, in Kendall Square which attracts people with its movie theater, shopping, hotels, and other restaurants/bars.

It did worry me though that the science fiction pub trivia game was scheduled at the same time as SciFiles, showing some cluelessness. Also the place may suffered from inability to draw a lunchtime or afternoon trivia crowd as it didn't open until happy hour. But as the pub trivia game was well-attended, clearly it did have customers interested in playing trivia if they'd just known how to draw them in to the Buzztime games.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:36 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Two more Houston locations are gone: the Velvet Melvin and Knuckleheads. These were owned by the same person, who also for a time had the system at a place called the Velvet Lounge. The only location that did have at least for a time a strong trivia presence was Knuckleheads, but I hadn't seen it or Velvet Melvin up on the boards for a very long time, and Velvet Lounge is long gone.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:13 pm 

Looks like the owner who converted the old Cadillac Jack's in Kettering to a somewhat higher end tavern has closed the place:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/bus ... bTopWidget

Even before the owner pulled the plug on BT, I and some others quit going shortly after a new bartender was hired and she started attracting undesirables from her prior bar gig. Maybe somebody will buy the place and bring back the game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:03 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Enjoyed my several visits there.