New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wilkes Barre PA May 27 and Warwick RI May 28
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

RXMAW and I will be stopping to play at Grotto Pizza Wilkes Barre the afternoon and evening of May 27 and Chelos Warwick May 28 as we head northeast to Maine. We'll try to drop by Picasso's Pizza on the other side of the airport in Warwick if we get there early enough, but if the team at Grotto hangs with us for Late Shift on Sunday (before the Monday holiday) there's no way we're getting to Rhode Island in time to hit both sites on Memorial Day. We'd love to see any and all Scaratings members at either or both sites!

Adams Mill crowd: sorry, but Monday was the Connecticut-Rhode Island day, and Adams Mill is closed...after that RXMAW got her choice, and one of her favorite restaurants is right next to Chelo's, so that's where we got the hotel. :(

Another time, Adams Mill.

Post subject: Re: Wilkes Barre PA May 27 and Warwick RI May 28
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:37 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

WB TANAKA wrote:
RXMAW and I will be stopping to play at Grotto Pizza Wilkes Barre the afternoon and evening of May 27 and Chelos Warwick May 28 as we head northeast to Maine. We'll try to drop by Picasso's Pizza on the other side of the airport in Warwick if we get there early enough, but if the team at Grotto hangs with us for Late Shift on Sunday (before the Monday holiday) there's no way we're getting to Rhode Island in time to hit both sites on Memorial Day. We'd love to see any and all Scaratings members at either or both sites!

Adams Mill crowd: sorry, but Monday was the Connecticut-Rhode Island day, and Adams Mill is closed...after that RXMAW got her choice, and one of her favorite restaurants is right next to Chelo's, so that's where we got the hotel. :(

Another time, Adams Mill.

Bill,

Good choice with Grotto Pizza, OPIEE and I have been there a few times on our way up to Connecticut and Maine. There is a nice Red Roof Inn nearby. Dog friendly place and ask for the side away from the highway if you stay there.

Grotto Pizza has a large friendly group of players that do play team. They do play a longgg time, day & evening & into the night. ANN who is a guy (or at least was playing her box) and ZUCHIE were great. Good time there. Usually plenty of players at any time.

I don't think any of them are on Scar. I mentioned it to a few of them but haven't seen anyone show up here yet.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:36 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

BUD wrote:
WB TANAKA wrote:
RXMAW and I will be stopping to play at Grotto Pizza Wilkes Barre the afternoon and evening of May 27...We'd love to see any and all Scaratings members!

Bill,

Good choice with Grotto Pizza, OPIEE and I have been there a few times on our way up to Connecticut and Maine. There is a nice Red Roof Inn nearby. Dog friendly place and ask for the side away from the highway if you stay there.

Grotto Pizza has a large friendly group of players that do play team. They do play a longgg time, day & evening & into the night. ANN who is a guy (or at least was playing her box) and ZUCHIE were great. Good time there. Usually plenty of players at any time.

I don't think any of them are on Scar. I mentioned it to a few of them but haven't seen anyone show up here yet.

HELLO is a member of this board. He's known about my trip for weeks. ;)

I've been there before. My review, lifted from the Buzztime site:

Oct 29 2011 02:46PM

I had the chance to drop by Grotto Pizza Wilkes Barre for a few Happy Hour games on a Friday. It was a good place to play.

The Buzztime is played exclusively in the bar area. Boxes are behind the bar, within reach, although only regulars reached over for a box. There were two screens on Buzztime, enough to offer good sight lines from most seats at the bar.

The caliber of play was reasonably high, but their best player was absent, and two regulars commented that scores were often much higher when he was there. The bar had a few ''Name in Lights'' moments on a busy Friday happy hour, but was more often out of the top twenty than within it for the nine games I played there.

Team play is the norm, but socializing and good times trumped close attention to the game. There was a VERY loud piano/guitar act that started at 5:00 PM that made sharing answers challenging. I certainly felt welcomed as an outsider, though: the gang at Grotto Pizza greeted me as one of their own from the start. I like winning top national rankings, but when I'm on the road friendliness and hospitality trump gold medals every time. The folks at Grotto Pizza were finest-kind.

My Oreganatto Shrimp Scampi pizza was very good, even if sinfully oily and garlicky. The beer was from a fresh keg with a clean line. The bar service was adequate; somebody below mentioned Lisa, and, although she wasn't my server, I agree that she stood out as excellent.

I'd return to Grotto Pizza just for the pizza, were I passing through town. I'd come back at Happy Hour just for the crowd. Given that both are offered, I'd certainly recommend the site to all.*

* Except for those rather odd folks who don't like Buzztime and don't eat pizza...but I am challenged to conceive of why such a soul would have found this review and read it to the very end.

I got a very good deal (almost 50% off) at the Quality Inn and Suites Conference Center up the hill a bit further. My wife is eager to try the Shrimp Scampi Oreganatto pizza...yes, it IS that good (and if we both eat it, garlic breath isn't an issue). :P

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

WB TANAKA wrote:

HELLO is a member of this board. He's known about my trip for weeks. ;)

Oh?, I haven't seen HELLO on here. Wait..I do remember that handle in a recent thread...didn't realize he was from Wilkes-Barre.

I believe he may have been there one of the times OPIEE and I stopped by. It was a while ago.

Have fun and say hello to them from Germantown MD, they may or may not remember. :)

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!