New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Going to be in Cincy for a Reds Game
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:06 am 
Lucky Member (China)

Going to Cincy on the 20th for a Reds game and figured I would try and stop into a trivia site somewhere near the stadium before and/or after the game. I have not booked my hotel yet but I typically either stay in downtown Cincy so I can walk to the stadium or somewhere on the KY side right on the river so it is easy to take the bus to the stadium (ie - stayed at the Hampton in Covington along with the Marriott). I want to avoid driving because I will be in no condition to drive.

I looked at the Buzztime map and I didnt see anything obviously close. The closet locations seem to be BW3 on Calhoun St or maybe even Allyn's Cafe but I know nothing about any of these locations and if they are even in good locations. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Going to be in Cincy for a Reds Game
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

(Rocky & Bullwinkle style)

Tune in for our next episode: Troll Of The Year -or- Extremely Oblivious Of The Triviapalooza Thread :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

JAYJEN wrote:
Going to Cincy on the 20th for a Reds game and figured I would try and stop into a trivia site somewhere near the stadium before and/or after the game. I have not booked my hotel yet but I typically either stay in downtown Cincy so I can walk to the stadium or somewhere on the KY side right on the river so it is easy to take the bus to the stadium (ie - stayed at the Hampton in Covington along with the Marriott). I want to avoid driving because I will be in no condition to drive.

I looked at the Buzztime map and I didnt see anything obviously close. The closet locations seem to be BW3 on Calhoun St or maybe even Allyn's Cafe but I know nothing about any of these locations and if they are even in good locations. Any suggestions?

Check out this thread. If you are interested, Bargos is about 20 miles north on 75 to 275, then just off 275.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1999

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:48 pm 
Special

poman wrote:
(Rocky & Bullwinkle style)

Tune in for our next episode: Troll Of The Year -or- Extremely Oblivious Of The Triviapalooza Thread :lol:

That's some funny stuff right there. The one time I was able to get out to Bargo's for Triviapalooza (2011) I went to a Reds game Saturday afternoon. Do yourself a favor and play a few games up there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

JAYJEN wrote:

There's nothing downtown or within walking distance of downtown. The Calhoun street bw's is only a couple miles away, next to the University of Cincinnati, but coming from downtown you'd have to walk through one of the worst neighborhoods to get there; I would strongly advise against this. If you're staying in Kentucky and don't mind a little bit of a drive, I'd look at the Ft. Wright locations, either Dickman's or BW3's. They're both nice and have decent player bases.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:42 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Bonzo wrote:
JAYJEN wrote:

There's nothing downtown or within walking distance of downtown. The Calhoun street bw's is only a couple miles away, next to the University of Cincinnati, but coming from downtown you'd have to walk through one of the worst neighborhoods to get there; I would strongly advise against this. If you're staying in Kentucky and don't mind a little bit of a drive, I'd look at the Ft. Wright locations, either Dickman's or BW3's. They're both nice and have decent player bases.

No kidding. The first 'Palooza I attended, I didn't get into town until after midnight thanks to a delay crossing the border at Detroit, so no choice but to take one of the cabs queued at the bus station. The driver asked if I would mind if he stopped to fill up, given the distance. No problem, I'm hours late anyway, so he pulls into this Shell (the Liberty & Walnut one, I believe) which I swear could've been a Walking Dead set, there were so many sketchy people aimlessly wandering about. Store clerks behind intercoms and bulletproof glass . . . excuse me while I lean my elbow on this here power door lock and try my skinny white boy best to look inconspicuous

Last edited by pengwn on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
Bonzo wrote:
JAYJEN wrote:

No kidding. The first 'Palooza I attended, I didn't get into town until after midnight thanks to a delay crossing the border at Detroit, so no choice but to take one of the cabs queued at the bus station. The driver asked if I would mind if he stopped to fill up, given the distance. No problem, I'm hours late anyway, so he pulls into this Shell (the Liberty & Walnut one, I believe) which I swear could've been a Walking Dead set, there were so many sketchy people aimlessly wandering around. Excuse me while I lean my elbow on this here power door lock . . .

You were delayed at the border because you were a suspected penguin terrorist.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:12 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

FrankC wrote:
[Three quote limit exceeded]
You were delayed at the border because you were a suspected penguin terrorist.

Allegedly ;)

No, one person on that bus had formerly held a Green Card, but did not properly surrender it upon moving out of the US. When she returned for a visit, Immigration gave her the third degree, ultimately requiring her to sign an affidavit swearing she wasn't trying to sneak back into residency. The rest of us got to wait on board the (unpowered) bus in the holding lot, and miss our connections

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am 
Lucky Member (China)

I live in Columbus but not very familar with Cincy other than downtown and Covington by the river and I knew you really dont want to wonder to far away from crowds because some areas of Cincy are really bad, worse than any areas in Columbus. Actually someone my wife knew from high school was a Cincy student got so drunk one night and wondered into the wrong area and got beaten so bad he was knocking on deaths door. I believe that made the local news a few years back.

I would love to stop into Bargos but I am going down with my in-laws to take him to a Reds game for his birthday and with the distance from downtown I am sure I will not be able to talk them into it. Been wanting to make a Triviapalooza for a few years now but it has never worked out. No one is going to be in any condition to drive and not sure I really want to take a 20 mile taxi after I am sure we will all be half gone anyway. I know my wife hasnt booked the hotel yet so who knows.

On a different topic, I was able to stop into 86th Street Pub a week ago on our way to Chicago around 8pm just in time for Six but the place was pretty much dead trivia wise. The regulars must leave pretty early although Jake came in for a couple quick games of Late Shift. As my father-n-law called him "Jake from State Farm". Loved the bar itself because it has some good craft beer on tap but pulling up to the place I was wondering.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

JAYJEN wrote:
On a different topic, I was able to stop into 86th Street Pub a week ago on our way to Chicago around 8pm just in time for Six but the place was pretty much dead trivia wise. The regulars must leave pretty early although Jake came in for a couple quick games of Late Shift. As my father-n-law called him "Jake from State Farm". Loved the bar itself because it has some good craft beer on tap but pulling up to the place I was wondering.

Was Jake wearing khakis again? :mrgreen:
We mostly just play afternoon games and empty 86th St. before premium games begin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:00 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

spotes wrote:

No, but she sounds hideous. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am 
Lucky Member (China)

mudee wrote:
spotes wrote:

No, but she sounds hideous. :mrgreen:

I honestly cant remember. He was only there for a short time maybe 30 minutes and I was at a table with my in-laws and wife so I never got a chance to introduce myself before he left. Funny thing though my father-n-law walked up to him on his way to the restroom and threw him the line, "Hi, Jake from State Farm". Mudee - that was the joke of the night. We kept repeating that line even after we were back at our hotel at Homewood Suites which I might add is close to the bar planned accordingly by yours truly.