New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How many sites in one day?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:40 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I remember seeing a reference to this in another thread somewhere on the board where someone played at either 12 or 14 different sites in a day, which gave me an idea..................

Would any Scaratings folks be interested in participating in a trivia marathon here in the site rich valley of the sun to see how many sites we could play at in a single day?

Post subject: Re: How many sites in one day?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:20 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Before undertaking your challenge, you might want to consider defining what constitutes a visit. I think that you must play at least one entire game from start to finish. When I organized the 1999 Tampa Pub Crawl, we scheduled one hour at each location with 30 minutes travel time between venues. We were only planning on seven sites, though, so that may not be workable if you're going for a record.

We also had fifteen people on the crawl so it was also important that no one at the sites knew we coming else the locals might be there in force to compete and there wouldn't be enough boxes available for our group.

I can tell you, when suddenly an unannounced group of fifteen descend on a bar and order drinks, food and playmakers, it really puts pressure on the bar staff. Then, as quickly as we swoop down, an hour later we're all blowing outta there and we be gone. Everybody's saying "Who were those guys?"

Have fun. Wish I could join you!

s o b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I once went to 5 different sites in the same day, hoping to find one that had NTN on (it was a busy sports weekend). Succeeded on the 5th try.

Of course that was when there were seven sites within a 5 mile radius here. Those were the days.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

mudee wrote:
I remember seeing a reference to this in another thread somewhere on the board where someone played at either 12 or 14 different sites in a day, which gave me an idea..................

Another thing: you ought to have at least one drink everywhere you go. You planning on 12 to 14 site visits? Bring a designated driver and a stomach pump. The bars won't be happy if a bunch of non-drinkers show up taking all the playmakers and putting nothing in the register but loose change...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. I agree with The S O B that playing a minimum of one Countdown game (or two Lunchtime/Late Shift) should be needed to count as playing at a site.

<--which reminds me of a day back in the early 2000s in The Obscenely Site-Rich Valley Of The Sun, when I found six or seven sites along a several mile stretch of Alma School Road... Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. I agree with The S O B that playing a minimum of one Countdown game (or two Lunchtime/Late Shift) should be needed to count as playing at a site.

<--which reminds me of a day back in the early 2000s in The Obscenely Site-Rich Valley Of The Sun, when I found six or seven sites along a several mile stretch of Alma School Road... Image

Morgantown briefly had seven BT sites up & running at the same time & I hit all of them in the same day---no designated driver, btw. I did end up getting a hotel room, though...EGADS!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:34 am 

mudee wrote:
in the site rich valley of the sun

Your reference to "site rich" got me to thinking. What is the greatest concentration of BT sites within a radius of, say, 10 miles?

Here in Dayton, OH, we have 19 BT sites within a 6-mile radius, which would appear to be one of the greatest concentration of sites anywhere. Phoenix has 20 sites within a 7-mile radius. So both are accurately characterized as "site rich."

Having in the past month visited NYC and Philly on business, it's obvious to me that a concentration of people in the metropolitan area does not equate to more BT sites. In fact, there appears to be an inverse relationship when you consider BT sites per capita in the more concentrated metropolitan areas.

In my travels to areas with a large number of BT sites (say, Florida or Texas), it seemed to me that those sites were spread over a greater distance than my 10-mile radius example. That said, I haven't checked this theory, and would be interested in learning of other examples of concentrated "site rich" areas like Dayton and Phoenix.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:24 am 
Himself Fodder

FOG wrote:
Here in Dayton, OH, we have 19 BT sites within a 6-mile radius, which would appear to be one of the greatest concentration of sites anywhere. Phoenix has 20 sites within a 7-mile radius. So both are accurately characterized as "site rich."

The DFW area could come close to that, not long back there was an area near Stadium Cafe that had 8 sites within a 1.5 mile radius although 2 of those have since removed BT. Am pretty sure we have more sites than any other metro area.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:55 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

-BO- wrote:
FOG wrote:

The DFW area could come close to that, not long back there was an area near Stadium Cafe that had 8 sites within a 1.5 mile radius although 2 of those have since removed BT. Am pretty sure we have more sites than any other metro area.

Sitefinder count is 79, all in about a 33-mile radius of Irving. One site per 43.3 square miles

Greater LA (or at least what looks to me like it) has 89 sites. Of course, it's not obvious exactly how far GLA goes. That 89 is counting Simi Valley, Santa Clarita, San Bernardino, and Riverside, but excludes Oxnard, Temecula, and Oceanside. Here the site distribution is roughly elliptical, 100 miles long x 60 miles wide. One site per 52.9 square miles

However, a map posted to Wikimedia Commons (GreaterLAmap.png) defines GLA as no farther north and west than LA proper, and east to only Ontario/Anaheim Hills/Irvine. Same 33-mile radius as DFW, but with only 65 sites. One site per 52.6 square miles. So GLA has more sites than DFW if you allow a sufficiently generous definition

At the other end of the scale, Calgary's now dropped to 15 sites, equal to a particular city incessantly whined ;) about being site-poor. But the farthest pair are a mere 24 miles apart, so we've got one site per 30.2 sq. miles. At least if you live somewhere with a Buzztime site within a day's drive, you're no worse off than MY site-poor backyard of Saskatchewan -- Sports On Tap in Saskatoon is it for the whole damn province! :o

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

There are about 45 in the DC metro area. That number is severely cut off to the NE because of the close proximity of Baltimore.
If Baltimore is included together with DC as is done for TV ratings and advertising the number is close to 80, maybe 85.

But around here in very well to do Montgomery county there are only 4 sites with 2 being BWWs.
Worse is the fact that DC itself has only 2 BT sites. (one being a strip club)

Back on topic, I have probably done 6/7 at most in one day, too much beer and too far to travel around here, with absolutely terrible traffic getting to VA where the large concentration of sites are.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

All you nancys are talking about playing at least one or two games to qualify as a site visit.
How about nobody leaves for the next bar until you get the one you're at to #1 in the national rankings?
Now that's a god damn pub crawl!
Time to man up, ladies. :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:39 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Personally, 13. The rule I have is I must play a full game and buy something at the place before I move on.

The city, Chicago. I can't post the sites as it was about 8 years ago. I was sent there by a former employer for a week long training. Made a deal with them, if I could go a day or two early, I would pay the rental car. They agreed. SUCKERS

I actually had everything mapped out. The plan was to start as early as I could (10am Central time) and do as many Appetizers as I could. Yea, back then, that's what it was called. 15 minute games. One beer and one full game and move on, or one quick snack and a coke and a game, and move on. Just had to pay the bar for the game, and the bar keep for the service.

Because of advance mapping, quick driving and fast cash, I hit 6 sites in the first 2 hours of Apps and one hour of regular half hour games. Slowed down during the afternoon as the beer tasted good and I wanted to get more than a game. After that, it was a bit longer to drive from site to site, trying to keep sober and find locations that actually had the game going. It was in February, and something about Blackhawks kept slowing me down.

Thanks to my paper maps, and pacing myself, I made back to a bar close to the hotel room by 9pm (10pm for you Eastern Time people). It was a fun time.

Wish I could do that here in Louisville, but would need some help, as in someone to keep the wife and kids busy for a day

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:18 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

spotes wrote:
All you nancys are talking about playing at least one or two games to qualify as a site visit.
How about nobody leaves for the next bar until you get the one you're at to #1 in the national rankings?

I guess this is one advantage to living on the Junior Circuit :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:50 pm 
Himself Fodder

pengwn wrote:
spotes wrote:

I guess this is one advantage to living on the Junior Circuit :roll:

Junior Circuit just isn't accurate.

Rookie Ball is a better descriptor..... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:53 pm 
Ending Symphony

Check this guy for sites visited in one day on the 30th and 31st.

http://www.buzztime.com/profile?pid=8724053

Probably played with remote login which is limited to 5 miles??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:55 pm 
Special

I think my top # in one day is 2, but I may not remember correctly, so it might be 1....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I have definitely visited two in one day. (One time I visited the Boston's Pizza in Mancheeter, CT and left in disgust when their men's room became more like a small lake, so I left and went to Adams Mill.) I don't ever recall visiting three BT sites in one day, although it is a possibility.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:10 pm 
Centenarian

In Phoenix back about twelve years ago I did this. I started at 11A.M. for appetizers so I was able to knock off several right away. I played till 1130 that night. I played a complete game but did not stay for ranking. Sometimes I had to wait for a game to end for a full one to start. Trying to recall the exact places in the order I did them as some of these places are no longer around.

16 St Bar and Grill. Does not have BT
Gallagher’s 16 St
Big Daddy’s old location Dunlap and 7th St.
Half Moon Does not have BT
(OK this place closed down completely. Maybe liljol will recall it just right up the road on Bell and 16 street a small sports bar.)
The above I did the appetizers games. So I was able to knock off five by one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Regular Wipe out and countdown games.
Santisi Brothers
(Native New Yorker Right in the same parking lot as Santisi)
Vala Luna Bell Does not have BT
Pappy’s Sports Does not have BT
Famous Sams (Mondays Sports Trivia game) Does not have BT
Obrien’s Sports bar
Black Angus Metrocenter
Metro Sports Bar Metrocenter Does not have BT
Native New Yorker Metrocenter old one closed

So 14 if I got them all????

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:07 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I have done 5 in one Day. Cincinnati does have many sites and we are close to Dayton as well.

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:08 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Well by my calculations there at least 30 locations within about a 15 sq mile area in the east valley that would be fairly easy to hit.

Sticking with a few guidelines suggested here, we should play at least 2 lunchtime games, at least 1 countdown game, and at least 2 late shift games. We should get the site within the top 5 in the rankings before moving on to the next location.

That being said it is possible if all goes right to hit 17 or 18 sites in a day taking into consideration travel time between locations plus game play time. I can make arrangements with locations to be prepared for the group. One thing that came to mind is to have 2 alternating players go ahead to the next location so the TV and boxes can be set up when the masses get there. That would mean we would need 2 designated drivers to alternate so the 2 can alternate and get in on the game play.

Any suggestions, questions?