New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: All alone at Adams Mill
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:26 pm 

I guess there's too much snow for the locals...

Post subject: Re: All alone at Adams Mill
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:15 pm 
Centenarian

hey everybody has their reasons or concerns not to come out in this weather, I came played a bit, my "team" notified me that they were not coming out to play, I paid my tab and went home. Some have a bit of a farther drive and don't blame them for not coming out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:28 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I've watched three cars come down my road and end up in the cowfield next to my apartment tonight due to how bad the roads are here. Id rather be playing trivia but not at the expense of my new car. Its 10 miles of backroads from the Mill at a higher elevation and that are poorly maintained.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:38 pm 

I understand. It was just a bit lonely. I thought the weather was worse just before Christmas when quite a few did show up.

In any case, they let me finish the final Showdown question before locking up for the night. I ended up with just over 37,000. Not great, but also not horrible for a solo score. Nailed the final, and only missed one on Pyramid. Major brain freeze on Countdown and Lightening.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:08 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Librty wrote:
I understand. It was just a bit lonely. I thought the weather was worse just before Christmas when quite a few did show up.

In any case, they let me finish the final Showdown question before locking up for the night. I ended up with just over 37,000. Not great, but also not horrible for a solo score. Nailed the final, and only missed one on Pyramid. Major brain freeze on Countdown and Lightening.

Nice job. The roads were worse tonight here than that night as the storm started slightly earlier. Plus I managed to get some work done tonight to save time later in the week.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:22 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

It's just a little bit of snow guys. If it weren't for global warming it could be a couple feet for the worse. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:39 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Blame the science-less press and, more likely, politically motivated morons for conflating anthropogenic climate change and overall average warming.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I played tonight, at the usual Chicago Sams "Rookies", but I can hardly blame those who opted to stay home. I had a couple of other players who were going to join me, but didn't. They were the smart ones.

We are under a winter storm warning for an expected 6 to 10 inches of drifting snow, accompanied with temperatures in the single digits with subzero wind chills. Not the worst I've ever seen, but enough that there are numerous cancelations listed on the radio and we are hearing the advice to only go out if you must.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:13 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The ones that stay home because of the weather don't bother me because they have done the right thing. The idiots that are scared and drive 20mph and the macho ones that drive too fast in the heavy ice and snow do scare me, because they both cause problems.

If you are in a moderate climate and experiencing sub zero temperatures leave your garage lights on all night. The heat from a couple light bulbs will warm the garage up enough so the garage door opener will work and the cars will be easier to start.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:19 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Rhino wrote:
Blame the science-less press and, more likely, politically motivated morons for conflating anthropogenic climate change and overall average warming.

I've read where people were actually able to farm in Greenland until the late 1300s and then the climate turned colder corresponding with the black death. It seems greenhouse gas emissions went down with the black death because dead people didn't need fires to cook and keep warm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:19 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Jim wrote:
The ones that stay home because of the weather don't bother me because they have done the right thing. The idiots that are scared and drive 20mph and the macho ones that drive too fast in the heavy ice and snow do scare me, because they both cause problems.

If you are in a moderate climate and experiencing sub zero temperatures leave your garage lights on all night. The heat from a couple light bulbs will warm the garage up enough so the garage door opener will work and the cars will be easier to start.

Like the idiot who just about ended up in the culvert next to my driveway...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Jim wrote:

Tonight is definitely the night to go 20mph; it would be foolhardy to go faster at this time. Fortunately this is a dry snow that isn't as slippery, and traffic at this hour is light.

Although my garage is unheated, I have never had trouble either opening the door or starting my car, but if the temperature were to drop to maybe -20 or so, I will try leaving a couple of lights on in the garage.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:39 am 
Lotsa Posta

Coming from upstate New York originally, I've long said that there are three kinds of Delaware drivers in the snow: there are the ones who stay home if there's a hint of flurry (they're the good ones), the ones who go out and drive ten mph no matter the road or condition, and the ones who go out and drive like the roads are dry and its sunny no matter the conditions. What really gets me are the four-wheel-drivers who don't realize that the laws of physics apply to them, too and that four-wheel-drive does not mean four-wheel-stopping on ice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:02 am 

Jim wrote:

This.

Those with the "snow visibility syndrome" (if they see snow ANYWHERE, they drive as if there is 3 feet of it on the road) drive me bats. The others are just practicing for their chance for the Darwin Award...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:09 am 

Akbar71 wrote:
What really gets me are the four-wheel-drivers who don't realize that the laws of physics apply to them, too and that four-wheel-drive does not mean four-wheel-stopping on ice.

Yep. We get those in my part of Indiana, too. Personally, I try to drive for the conditions, pay attention to the way the wheel feels, and regularly check for stopping and turning ability. As Dirty Harry said: "A man's gotta know his limitations..."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:56 pm 

FYI I plan to be there tomorrow (Tuesday, Feb 4th). This is probably my last week here, so I hope to see some folks; but as there is yet another storm coming in, I honestly understand if you don't want to risk it.