New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Florida's Panhandle Bars
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:21 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Just got back from a week vacation in Destin, a beautiful beach resort town on Florida's "Redneck Riviera" and I can report NTN trivia is alive and well. I managed to check out 12 sites scattered between Panama City and Pensacola.

One I was very interested in seeing was Boatyard Landing in Valparaiso because for a long time, they were challengers for Top Trivia Bar in the US based on their gold medal count. They no longer compete at the level any more but they're still a good place to visit. It's a downstairs bar in a popular restaurant with only six stools at the bar. I came in the afternoon and had to sit at a table behind the group that shows up every afternoon when they open at 3:00 pm. They were very friendly to me and my wife and quite good at the game.

The other area bar that might be most familiar to rankings-watchers is TGI Friday's in Pensacola. I went there hoping to meet their dominant player, OHFL, but the regulars told me he usually takes Thursdays off and I came on the wrong day. They told me he's from OH & FL and his handle is pronounced "awful."

Best place for Lunchtime games: Angler's Beachside Grill, Fort Walton Beach. They dominate the LT leaderboards around here and quit when CD starts. I think most of them head over to the Boatyard then for the 3:00 pm opening.

Best Sports Bar; Most Comfortable Facility; Best Seafood and Longest Name For A Buzztime Location: O'Quigley's Seafood Steamer And Oyster Sports Bar, Destin. Really liked this place.

Post subject: Re: Florida's Panhandle Bars
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:13 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

S O B wrote:
Just got back from a week vacation in Destin, a beautiful beach resort town on Florida's "Redneck Riviera" and I can report NTN trivia is alive and well. I managed to check out 12 sites scattered between Panama City and Pensacola.

One I was very interested in seeing was Boatyard Landing in Valparaiso because for a long time, they were challengers for Top Trivia Bar in the US based on their gold medal count. They no longer compete at the level any more but they're still a good place to visit. It's a downstairs bar in a popular restaurant with only six stools at the bar. I came in the afternoon and had to sit at a table behind the group that shows up every afternoon when they open at 3:00 pm. They were very friendly to me and my wife and quite good at the game.

The other area bar that might be most familiar to rankings-watchers is TGI Friday's in Pensacola. I went there hoping to meet their dominant player, OHFL, but the regulars told me he usually takes Thursdays off and I came on the wrong day. They told me he's from OH & FL and his handle is pronounced "awful."

Best place for Lunchtime games: Angler's Beachside Grill, Fort Walton Beach. They dominate the LT leaderboards around here and quit when CD starts. I think most of them head over to the Boatyard then for the 3:00 pm opening.

Best Sports Bar; Most Comfortable Facility; Best Seafood and Longest Name For A Buzztime Location: O'Quigley's Seafood Steamer And Oyster Sports Bar, Destin. Really liked this place.

I've played with OHFL over the last couple years on vacation. Friendly fella and a fine player.

HELLA and her 53M P+ is usually around there as well.

Post subject: Re: Florida's Panhandle Bars
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:36 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

scar wrote:

I've played with OHFL over the last couple years on vacation. Friendly fella and a fine player.

HELLA and her 53M P+ is usually around there as well.

Missed HELLA as well. Played with two fine fellows, SURF N & ISTINK, though and had a wonderful time.

Usually when we travel, we avoid the chains as much as possible (Think BWW) but this was a particularly nice TGIF, Janelle and I originally met in a Friday's in Tampa some 30+ years ago so we're partial to them and I think they may have invented cheese & bacon potato skins as a bar snack and although you can surely buy TGIF skins in the frozen section of your supermarket; ain't nothin' like the real thing.