New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BT in Alaska?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:39 pm 
Colt

Hi all--

So I'm doing a half-business, half-personal trip to Alaska in a couple of months and was wondering about playing while I was there. I didn't have any trouble finding sites (there's a BWW that is VERY close to my hotel.) However, I can't figure out one thing: what time do premium games start?

It would seem that, Alaska being one hour behind Pacific time, that the premium games would start one hour earlier than they do here in Las Vegas. But I think at one point in history that Alaska (and Hawaii) ran on a completely different schedule. Is this still true?

The Buzztime website is not helpful; it only lists starting times in Alaska (and Hawaii) in terms of where they were during the *$!#&?@ FSPLIT.

Anyone have any info to add?

ESB

Post subject: Re: BT in Alaska?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:44 am 
Lord of Scaratings

When I was in Hawaii a few years back, Alaska was still reporting out after the west coast fell off.

Then Alaska fell off and Hawaii continued on for a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I remember YODUH moved his H1N1 handle to Alaska for a while.. Then to Hawaii for a bit more... As a joke of course. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:13 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I looked up the playing times of local players for the premium games which indicated that their time locally was just like Pacific Time. IOW, 5:30 local time, which means that we have finished by then. I seriously doubt if they would get many players for premium games in Hawaii at 2:30 local time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:08 am 
Colt

If I look up my friends in Oklahoma--I assume you mean on a personal history page--the Buzztime website says they play Showdown at 5:30pm, which I know is not correct. They play at 5:30 my time (Pacific time), which is 7:30pm Central. That's why I'm confused.

ESB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:20 am 
Himself Fodder

ericb wrote:
If I look up my friends in Oklahoma--I assume you mean on a personal history page--the Buzztime website says they play Showdown at 5:30pm, which I know is not correct. They play at 5:30 my time (Pacific time), which is 7:30pm Central. That's why I'm confused.

ESB

Almost everything listed on BT's site is in Pacific Time. If you look at everybody's SD info it shows they play the game at 530pm, that is 530 Pacific Time. Same goes for Alaska and Hawaii.

So to answer your question, everything is the same across the network. Everybody plays the premium/specialty games at the same time. So simply figure out what time zone you are going to be in and go from there.

Personally, if I'm in Hawaii I'm going to drown surfing Pipe before I play BT.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:29 am 
Lord of Scaratings

We played at night, and shut the boards down when the network went off the air. I would guess you wouldn't surf then.

Was our first night there, my brother and I elected to try to beat the jet lag by staying up as late as we could. My wife declined to join us and went to bed about 4 or 5 hours before us.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:49 am 
Himself Fodder

scar wrote:
We played at night, and shut the boards down when the network went off the air. I would guess you wouldn't surf then.

Was our first night there, my brother and I elected to try to beat the jet lag by staying up as late as we could. My wife declined to join us and went to bed about 4 or 5 hours before us.

Thread hijack....

Pro tip - don't fight the jet lag. I usually fall asleep about 8 the first night and then naturally wake up to watch the sunrise over the ocean/mountains. And continue to do so for the duration. Only place in the world I naturally wake up at that hour, wouldn't change it for the world.

Hopefully at that hour in Hawaii you made the national boards every game! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:12 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

It was funny, yes we made the boards.

We finished a late game, and our bar was the only bar on the entire network to report.

My brother (BOSTON) and I were the only ones playing at the bar.

I turned to him and said "I am not sharing answers anymore" and ordered another $2 PBR 16 oz can.

He laughed and said "Why not ? We always share".

I replied " We are the only 2 people on the network and it doesn't matter anymore, there is no one else to beat".

Postscript... I think we played 3 more games and he soundly trounced me in each one , giggling all the way ".. no sharing answers..".