New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bud and Opiee's Excellent Adventure,New Smyrna Bch/Cocoa Bch
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Opiee and I are in New Smyrna Beach FL from Dec 12 through the 18th. Then Cocoa Beach from the 18th till the 23rd.
Sorry Lumpy, Girlie and Randy, not doing St. Pete Beach/Madeira Bch/Tampa this year.

So we will be headed to the Surf Lounge today, we see them on the boards all the time.
Chicau is still banging away there. We meet him at Merk's 14 years ago on our driving to Key West trip. Wow how time flies. Merk's, Om Bar and Peanuts are also on the list for this week. Plenty of buzztime bars in this small beach town.

Steve (SIKO) is also around NSB. Talked with him and we'll run into him several times I'm sure.

Cocoa beach will be less trivia busy. Don't know anyone on here from there. Not too many BT bars there but we will find them. 8-)

See you all on the boards this week from New Smyrna, early of course, not much late play around here.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

Post subject: Re: Bud and Opiee's Excellent Adventure,New Smyrna Bch/Cocoa
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:14 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Sounds like fun, have a good trip, Bud.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Opiee and I played for a good while on Monday with Chicau, Bahstn, Volman and SIKO and a bunch of others at the Surf bar. Many bar top 5s and a win. This is a locals bar, no tourists here except for the occasional buzztime player. This is must stop for BT travelers.
We heard Fog had just been there a week ago.

It is a smoking bar, so has no food.

We will probably be back there today.

Last edited by BUD on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tuesday we went to Om bar on Flagler ave not far from Peanuts.

This is newer bar in the heavy tourist area of Flagler ave. They did have good drink prices and a fun Buddha decorated atmosphere. Non smoking place with a small menu.

We played with Jerry and BS. Friendly players. But not too many players around here, most go to the other 4 close by BT bars.

Wednesday will be back to Surf Bar. Thur a trip to Merk's and maybe Peanuts.

Oh and great weather, 77 deg, compared to Maryland.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cocoa Beach FL is less known on the trivia boards than New Smyrna but we did a bit to change that today. Played at Graham's for awhile, a small locals bar on A1A with an indoor and outdoor bar. Lots of Guns and Roses on the juke box and 2nd amendment signs around.

Buzztime was on at the outdoor bar so we sat there. Smoking is allowed at the outdoor bar but wasn't bad. Huge draft beers for $2.50, also decent bar food. We put Graham's on the national boards all 6 games played. 2 other players showed up as we were leaving. Mostly happy hour play there. They do make the boards from time to time.

The other 2 BT bars in Cocoa Beach are the Lagoon lounge in the Comfort Inn and Slow and Low BBQ. Neither have had players in a long time, might check them out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:11 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Thanks for the updates, Bud. As an avid afternoon Countdown player, I frequently see Peanuts, Merk's and the Surf Bar in some order atop the Final Leaderboard - not just one of them, but all three! I've always been curious how a town with scarcely 20K year around residents could arrive at such local excellence. More Buzztime bars there than NYC.

The only equivalence I can think of would be San Pedro de Macoris producing most MLB shortstops. And that was a one off deal, in '87 perhaps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:03 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

I stopped by Peanuts on Saturday afternoon. No BT players, and it forced my wife and I to play as Guests.

We played one game, and went on the the shoppes adjacent, then up to the beach.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
I stopped by Peanuts on Saturday afternoon. No BT players, and it forced my wife and I to play as Guests.

That's strange Scott, they were working fine when we were there. Saw Peanuts in the rankings last night while playing here in Gaithersburg. Must have been a short outage timed just for you. Did you check out Ohm bar just up the street near the wine bar? Nice little town with a good beach.

I still need to finish the reports on the other bars and our fun with Chicau (Ed). Great trip.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:08 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

BUD wrote:
scar wrote:

That's strange Scott, they were working fine when we were there. Saw Peanuts in the rankings last night while playing here in Gaithersburg. Must have been a short outage timed just for you. Did you check out Ohm bar just up the street near the wine bar? Nice little town with a good beach.

I still need to finish the reports on the other bars and our fun with Chicau (Ed). Great trip.

We had stats from around the country after the game, don't know why it wouldn't validate our handles.

We only had limited time <was a sidetrip from Daytona> , so we didn't make it to the Ohm bar.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:42 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Do I correctly recall that SPOTES had a similar issue at last summer's Triviapalooza?

Some while ago, the illustrious JOHNL and I, on a whim, decided to meet at Ol' Mexico, GABBY's home bar in Roseville, just north of St Paul MN, for a friendly game of Six. I arrived a half hour early, and despite my attempts to log in on four different accounts, registered to four different sites, and despite the gentlemanly assistance of YOMAMA, who was registered to Ol' Mexico, the log-in simply wouldn't happen. Apart from YOMAMA, there were was another local. Neither of them had had any issue logging in.

Declining the generous offer of the bartender for a reboot (which might have inconvenienced the two players already in session), I paced the parking lot until John arrived. I flagged him down before he could park, and suggested we regroup at Jimmy's.

"How do I get there?" John asked.

"Drive north on Lexington to the freeway," I told him. "Take I-694 to the I-35 exit, go north, and take a right at County Road E. Jimmy's is on the right, two blocks in. It's in the shadow of a Holiday Inn." The Holiday Inn is also owned by Jimmy, I might have added. But time was short.

So I race up to Jimmy's, grab a tablet, and head out to the veranda. There's a bingo game going on, the volume on the Caller's microphone turned to 11. One can only hope that President Trump is going to force bingo back into the church basements where it belongs.

John had a natural head start on me - his vehicle wasn't parked, and mine was - although I log in mere seconds before the quiz begins, there is no sight of JOHNL. I play out the Warm-Up Round, that giddy session involving puns. Shortly thereafter, the Illustrious One arrives.

"What took you so long?" I asked.

"I went to I-35W," he apologized. "There's no exit for County Road E."

Interstate I-35W passes through Minneapolis. I-35E passes through St Paul. John lives in Stillwater, a town well east of both cities. Why would I have suggested a site located in the wrong direction from his home?

JOHNL, as of this morning, 2/15/2016, is the #8 ranked Countdown player, and far more engaged than the players ranked above him. On the other hand, he has no sense of direction. The third option would be that Buzztime occasionally screws up their downloads.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:41 am 
Centenarian

I had the opportunity to hook up with my trivia friends Boost and Tsoob at Peanuts last week when I vacationed in Florida, was a neat little place, but when I have time would love to check out Merk's and some of the other local sites. My trivia buddy TWIT from the "Mill" was in Iowa recently visiting family, he also said he couldn't log into his user name either at a site there. I have heard this before from players, seems like some sort of glitch somewhere in the system. I worry now that if I visit another site I won't be able to log in with my user name