New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Honolulu
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Rivals, which bills itself as a Las Vegas-inspired sports bar, whatever that means, has trivia and is walkable from the Waikiki Beach Resort Marriott where I'm staying.

According to the reviews, Rivals is either "the weirdest bar in Waikiki" or "a typical whiskey bar." It's either "too packed to sit" or "totally chill." And it either offers "excellent service" or "no service at all."

Thanks, Yelp. That was helpful.

I wonder if they have Showdown at 2:30 in the afternoon.

There's also a BWW Ala Moana within a couple of miles of my hotel. Anyone have any info on either?

Post subject: Re: Honolulu
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:27 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

I believe I went to Rivals, or a previous incarnation at that site, when we were staying at the Outrigger Waikiki. within walking distance. I highly recommend Duke's restaurant @ the Outrigger, btw, my favorite restaurant that trip. About 7 or 8 years ago.

Rivals was OK, boxes worked and they had $2 Tall Pabst on special.

I did go to The Shack Kailua. We were going to watch windsurfers at the beach and I dragged my wife and brother in there for lunch along the way.

Seemed nice enough, but their connection was down. Had a decent fish sandwich and left.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:02 pm 
U > 100 * 2

So Rivals Waikiki is 0.6 miles from the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort Fourteen Other Descriptors. I, of course, walked the wrong way, so it took me a mile and a half to get there.

I walk in and it's a very typical sports bar which is atypical of Honolulu.

I sit at the bar and there's one other player five seats down, playing on a tablet and a device. His handle is ALUMNM. Twelve seconds later I'm sitting next to him.

After a brief introduction which established my trivia geek bona fides, he asks, "Do you know anyone from California?"

"Yes."

"Do you know LILJOL?"

"Yes! I mean, I've never met him face-to-face, but we're Facebook friends."

ALUMNM/BDFARMS looked Irish and was from Vermont. He was a farmer currently living on Kauai. He'd spent three years in New Zealand, training to be a farmer and gave me the incredibly useful trivia that Honolulu was closer to New Zealand than Chicago, which means I can plan a trip to New Zealand on vacation in conjunction with my next business trip to Honolulu. ALUMNM was in Honolulu on business. For farming.

So at 1:30 PM, we're playing LunchTime trivia.

"Who were Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup?"

Thanks to a trivia teammate from Walsh's, I got 1000.

Now we're on SciFiles.

ALUMNM says he sucks at SciFiles, but for a question about Diana Muldaur, the Vermonter/New Zealander/Hawaiian said, "She was on an episode of 'Star Trek:' 'That Which Survives.'"

"Did you just name the 'Star Trek' episode?"

"Yes."

"I am so impressed."

SIX got us on Julia freaking Child, but I precalled a question in Matching about extinct animals. "Quagga! The zebra thing. They tried to replicate its DNA."

"What country was it from?"

"Uh ... "

We did OK, scoring in the Top 100. There were only two of us playing four boards. We won in Hawaii. He had to leave after SIX to catch his plane back to Kauai.

AMUMNM has no phone. He gave me his email address in case I ever get a chance to go to New Zealand.

He went to the bathroom and a gorgeous black woman sitting four seats down from me assumes that ALUMNM and I are together.

"No," says the bartender. "They're strangers."

"You don't know him?" she asks me, incredulously.

"Just met him an hour ago."

I love meeting people through trivia.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:20 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

That was Lee Merriwether who was in That Which Survives.

Diana Muldaur was in Return to Tomorrow and Is There in Truth No Beauty.

but we could all still be friends though!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 am 
U > 100 * 2

whales wrote:
That was Lee Merriwether who was in That Which Survives.

Diana Muldaur was in Return to Tomorrow and Is There in Truth No Beauty.

but we could all still be friends though!

Wow. Now I'm even more impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:08 am 
U > 100 * 2

I just realized that sounded sarcastic. I wasn't being sarcastic. I mean it. I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:10 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I'm sure that Whales didn't take your reply as sarcastic. He's pretty open in his thinking. I also saw no sarcasm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:47 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I didn't take it as sarcasm either. However, Muldaur starred on ST The Next Generation as Dr. Pulaski in seasom two, 1988-89. I spent yesterday afternon binge watching part of that season with a friend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:39 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Gypsy wrote:
So Rivals Waikiki is 0.6 miles from the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort Fourteen Other Descriptors. I, of course, walked the wrong way, so it took me a mile and a half to get there.

I walk in and it's a very typical sports bar which is atypical of Honolulu.

I sit at the bar and there's one other player five seats down, playing on a tablet and a device. His handle is ALUMNM. Twelve seconds later I'm sitting next to him.

After a brief introduction which established my trivia geek bona fides, he asks, "Do you know anyone from California?"

"Yes."

"Do you know LILJOL?"

"Yes! I mean, I've never met him face-to-face, but we're Facebook friends."

ALUMNM/BDFARMS looked Irish and was from Vermont. He was a farmer currently living on Kauai. He'd spent three years in New Zealand, training to be a farmer and gave me the incredibly useful trivia that Honolulu was closer to New Zealand than Chicago, which means I can plan a trip to New Zealand on vacation in conjunction with my next business trip to Honolulu. ALUMNM was in Honolulu on business. For farming.

So at 1:30 PM, we're playing LunchTime trivia.

"Who were Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup?"

Thanks to a trivia teammate from Walsh's, I got 1000.

Now we're on SciFiles.

ALUMNM says he sucks at SciFiles, but for a question about Diana Muldaur, the Vermonter/New Zealander/Hawaiian said, "She was on an episode of 'Star Trek:' 'That Which Survives.'"

"Did you just name the 'Star Trek' episode?"

"Yes."

"I am so impressed."

SIX got us on Julia freaking Child, but I precalled a question in Matching about extinct animals. "Quagga! The zebra thing. They tried to replicate its DNA."

"What country was it from?"

"Uh ... "

We did OK, scoring in the Top 100. There were only two of us playing four boards. We won in Hawaii. He had to leave after SIX to catch his plane back to Kauai.

AMUMNM has no phone. He gave me his email address in case I ever get a chance to go to New Zealand.

He went to the bathroom and a gorgeous black woman sitting four seats down from me assumes that ALUMNM and I are together.

"No," says the bartender. "They're strangers."

"You don't know him?" she asks me, incredulously.

"Just met him an hour ago."

I love meeting people through trivia.

Thanks for sharing that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:11 pm 
Lotsa Posta

It may have been the 2 PM PDT Countdown quiz this afternoon. Playing as EGGLEG I got a 14.6 in Countdown and finished 4th on the brag sheet, directly behind...Drumroll please...ALUMNM.

At 11 AM Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time, he was playing at a very high level at an hour when the nursing staff here won't let me drink coffee without supervision.