New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fionn MacCool's--Yonge St (Toronto)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 pm 
Colt

So while trying to find a bar accessible to those without a car, we settled on Fionn MacCool's. There is one a couple of blocks from the convention center where I'm working, but that location doesn't have Buzztime, so we journeyed a little further out to the location on Yonge Street in the Davisville neighborhood.

THE GOOD: Nicole the bartender was nice--she at least spoke to us. The food was reasonably good and certainly affordable.

Now the rest...

There is one TV with trivia at the far end of the bar. All the nearby tables were occupied or reserved, so the bartender finally let us have the table they use for Uber drivers who are waiting to pick up food. Fortunately there was only one of those. However, it had only one chair, so I stood for about the first third of the game until one opened up and I grabbed it.

They only own 8 boxes. At least they all appear to work normally. I say "appear" because we got one for the two of us. Fortunately I had my phone, so I gave my friend the box and I used the phone. I remember why I hate the app.

At Fionn MacCool's Yonge all the locals play "solo." This is not my favorite way to play, and my friend absolutely hates it. But we're here and it's time for Showdown, so we just stuck it out. At many places where I've seen people play solo they're still friendly and welcoming. I don't think either of us would describe this (small) group with either of these words. The bartender pointed us back to the back part of the bar, and I asked if anyone could join in. One lady said "anyone can play" and turned immediately back to her box. This was NOT during the game. I believe that was the extent of the conversation we had with the locals, except for the bartender, who was intrigued by having Americans around. (While very convenient from downtown via the subway, Davisville gives the impression of being well away from the "touristy" areas of Toronto, and it was clear that the bartender knew almost everyone in there as regulars.)

One of my annoyances with "solo" bars is people who don't actually play solo. The couple at the bar (including the lady who told us anyone could play) were clearly sharing answers with each other and no one else. If we're playing solo, that means solo. Other than the wit trying to be funny with various answers--no, Set is not the Egyptian god of volleyball--no other answers came to the group.

If you're looking to play with a Showdown team in Toronto, this is not the spot.

ESB

Post subject: Re: Fionn MacCool's--Yonge St (Toronto)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I always try to find the best buzztime bar in a city I'm visiting, it's not worth messing around trying to guess like you did. I would have been able to tell from their scores they weren't a team bar. I would have taken the subway and or a Uber to whatever Toronto bar is at the top of Don Denton's rankings.

But a place that doesn't get many Americans does sound fun.
Was FOCUSA there?

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:05 pm 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:
Was FOCUSA there?

aka DAVETV.

I played occasionally at Joe Mercury (dec.) when that was his home bar.
I do not believe Dave has played for many years.

The story goes that at some point he had a contretemps with U.S. Border Services and was refused entry.
The proximate cause for the handle.

SHAKES

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Shakes wrote:
BUD wrote:
Was FOCUSA there?

aka DAVETV.

The story goes that at some point he had a contretemps with U.S. Border Services and was refused entry.

SHAKES

That sounds about right for DAVETV. Someone who used to play at the same bars as him reported a while back they saw him birdwatching in park and hadn't played NTN in years. Something about him not liking the new blue boxes vs the old grey boxes where you could switch handles at game end to always have FOCUSA or DAVETV show on the screens out of how many boxes he'd use.

So welcome and where do you play Shakes? Obviously been playing a long time.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:18 pm 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:
Shakes wrote:
BUD wrote:
Was FOCUSA there?

aka DAVETV.

SHAKES

That sounds about right for DAVETV. Someone who used to play at the same bars as him reported a while back they saw him birdwatching in park and hadn't played NTN in years. Something about him not liking the new blue boxes vs the old grey boxes where you could switch handles at game end to always have FOCUSA or DAVETV show on the screens out of how many boxes he'd use.

So welcome and where do you play Shakes? Obviously been playing a long time.

Thanks.

Teasers in Chicago.
The golden age of NTN included 8 character names.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:37 am 
Himself Fodder

Shakes wrote:
The golden age of NTN included 8 character names.

And plugging the playmakers into the wall for power.