U > 100 * 2

Guido's Nickel
9500 W. Colfax, Lakewood, CO
12 classic Playmakers that work well and stay charged
Teams for Showdown and SIX
Pizza for purchase and whatever potluck they want to put out for free
Incredibly trivia friendly
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

I pulled into the parking lot of Guido's Nickel, thinking there were too many cars for a bar that small. The outside banner advertised daily hours of 7 AM-2 AM and $2.50 Budweiser bottles. Cash only.

I walked into the TARDIS to see a dozen people at the horseshoe bar and a few high top tables. A backdoor led to a beer garden.

"Anyone sitting here?" I asked the guy to the left of the only empty stool at the bar, noting, as my eyes adjusted to the dark interior, that he was playing two old school Playmakers.

"Nope! Have a seat."

"Are you staying for Showdown?"

The guy turns to me and smiles broadly. "You just said the magic word: 'Showdown.' What brings you here?"

"I'm here to play trivia. A buddy of mine recommended this place."

"Where are you from?"

"Teasers in Chicago."

"TEASER'S?!?" He yells to a guy down the bar, also playing two Playmakers, "SHE'S FROM TEASER'S!"

They bowed down, Wayne's World-style: "We're not worthy."

"They" were MEZZZ and N B C, both players will well over 25,000,000 P+ points.

They asked about CLIPPR and I told them I just saw his last weekend at Triviapalooza.

They mentioned LILJOL and I told them I was meeting him this weekend. They also knew GRIFF and ANON. (I don't know if people who actually don't know you guys have been name-dropping you, but they were overly impressed when all three of you messaged me back immediately.) They knew of MERKIN and BLZBUB and HENRY ("From Wichita?" "Yeah." "Tell him he's supposed to visit us!")

Guido's is the top Showdown bar in Colorado and they also play on some Wednesday and Thursday SIX competitions. I told them I also play at Walsh's. "Please beat Stavro's."

MEZZZ handed me two Playmakers at 100%. I offered to play on my phone app but he wouldn't let me because I was a guest. I was there for 3 hours and none of the bar's 12 boards malfunctioned or died while I was there.

By Glory Daze the entire bar (population 14) was playing trivia or cheering us on. The rest of the team ranged in age from mid-20s to late 60s, about a third were women, and there was a POISON to my IVY (only once were the names juxtaposed properly on the leader board.)

They had correct precalls on about 70% of the answers. The interesting thing was that they had zero incorrect shout-outs. They either knew it, or they didn't. And if they didn't, they didn't work it out out loud. That's where I was able to contribute because I'm a good guesser: "I'm pretty sure it's three because ... "

"SHE SAYS IT'S THREE!"

I don't know how much mixed drinks cost because they wouldn't let me pay for any. I did manage to order a round of shots for four people, which arrived in 3/4ths-full rock glasses. I handed the bartender a $20 and got $7.50 change.

Guido's was out of free beef and bean burritos but did have pretty decent-sized pizzas. While I considered my options, the patrons actually offered to go to the hamburger shack down the street and get me something to eat. I opted for the pizza, which was a good choice, and passed it around the bar. A couple walked in and sat to my right. After watching us play Showdown, she says, impressed, "We've never been to this bar before."

"I haven't either."

"What do you mean? You don't know any of these people?"

"Just met them today."

"Wow, is this a friendly bar."

By the end of Glory Daze the Fireball and Bacardi and Coke hit me and I was time for me to Uber back to my room.

Before I left, MEZZZ asked me, "Who sent you here?"

"GONE D."

"Please tell him 'thank you.'"

So if you're anywhere near Lakewood, CO, please check out Guido's Nickel at 9500 W. Colfax. Tell them GYPSY sent you.

You'll thank me later.

Post subject: Re: Guido's Nickel, Lakewood, CO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:29 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Out of native modesty, GYPSY would no doubt prefer that I didn't post this, but it's too delicious not to share.

She returned to Guido's Nickel the following night to play Six. The bar had a pretty good run (MEZZZ nailing Pastimes), and at some point she realized that all the patrons of the bar, players and civilians alike, were invested in the Buzztime quizzes. "I've never seen anything like it," she reported.

So she bought a round for the house. Total tab? $34. (This sum may not have been accurate. She had hit it off immediately with the owner of Guido's, a fellow biker named Jerry, who, according to my source, is a "cool-ass dude.")

The patrons were so astonished by her generosity - "shocked, SHOCKED," she wrote - that she went ahead and bought them another.