New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: McCann's in Astoria, Queens, New York City
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:24 pm 
U > 100 * 2

I landed at LaGuardia after multiple delays and we shot over to McCann's hoping to make Spotlight.

We hurriedly asked the first waitress for some trivia boards. She said she'd go get them and then promptly took another table's order. I politely but urgently requested boards from a second waitress, who was momentarily confused. "We just have the little tablets."

"That's what I need. Four, please! Thank you!"

"There are four of you?"

"No. Just two. Four boards. Please."

We logged in at 8:31 and we're able to answer the first question. There were no TVs in the front bar room showing Trivia, but it appeared that there were some in a back room that looked rented out (or at least designated) for a private event.

Aside from the initial delay in obtaining the playmakers, the service was excellent. When one of my boards started losing power, she swapped it out immediately. The food was good, and drinks were well-poured but pricey. Our $118 tab showed that Bacardi and Cokes were $9 (or, at least, doubles were $18), Fireball shots were $7.50, and, strangely, regular Coke out of the gun was $3.20 per glass. No free refills, even for designated drivers.

The bar had a nice, neighborhood atmosphere, was friendly and festive.

We were the only two playing that night, but I would still highly recommend checking it out if you bring a friend.

Thank you, MEGUMI, for the suggestion.

GYPSY

Post subject: Re: McCann's in Astoria, Queens, New York City
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:34 am 
Lotsa Posta

Gypsy wrote:
Our $118 tab showed that Bacardi and Cokes were $9 (or, at least, doubles were $18), Fireball shots were $7.50, and, strangely, regular Coke out of the gun was $3.20 per glass. No free refills, even for designated drivers.

Buy one, pay for the bottle? McCann's is, on GYPSY's description, an outer borough license with mid-town aspirations. Granted, I've never driven through the Holland Tunnel from New Jersey into the basement of Manhattan without a sensation of dread, that - sinner that I am - I'll never be permitted to drive back out again.

Still on my bucket list is to drive one of El Chapo's tunnels from Tijuana to National City. This would probably be a lot safer, certainly far less glamorous.