New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Louisville One Week, Then Played at Home - for Once
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:49 am 

Thanks to the team at Old Chicago in Louisville for welcoming me to participate on their Smartest Bar team last week!

For those who don't know (probably almost everyone), I moved to Maine last fall. I still travel, but lately it has been to locations with few or no real BT nerds playing. This week, I was local, so I popped into the BWW in Bangor for Showdown night. Who should I discover on the board, but QUAHOG. We introduced ourselves, and since it was only the two of us, engaged in a little competitive play. He swept the night, but a good time was had, and we introduced a relative newbie to the game.

Our discussion turned to this board, and so hopefully he'll be lighting himself back up soon.

Post subject: Re: Louisville One Week, Then Played at Home - for Once
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:55 am 
Lotsa Posta

Hello Librty,

Hope to see you again at Teasers sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:34 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Was fun having you join us, hope you can make it again sometime. Always enjoy visitors.

My brother who plays as BOSTON is supposed to join us for the Smartest Bar this week after summering in Bath, Maine.
And a traveling gypsy is supposed to join us as well.

Quahog used to post on the first version of Scaratings, hope he reconnects.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:48 pm 

scar wrote:
Was fun having you join us, hope you can make it again sometime. Always enjoy visitors.

My brother who plays as BOSTON is supposed to join us for the Smartest Bar this week after summering in Bath, Maine.
And a traveling gypsy is supposed to join us as well.

Quahog used to post on the first version of Scaratings, hope he reconnects.

I mentioned that the board was still here, so maybe he'll turn up. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:23 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Yep, LIBRTY, I'll be playing with SCAR and Friends in Louisville this week.

I don't know if you remember me, but I met you at Teaser's awhile back.

GYPSY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am 
Special

Librty wrote:
Thanks to the team at Old Chicago in Louisville for welcoming me to participate on their Smartest Bar team last week!

For those who don't know (probably almost everyone), I moved to Maine last fall. I still travel, but lately it has been to locations with few or no real BT nerds playing. This week, I was local, so I popped into the BWW in Bangor for Showdown night. Who should I discover on the board, but QUAHOG. We introduced ourselves, and since it was only the two of us, engaged in a little competitive play. He swept the night, but a good time was had, and we introduced a relative newbie to the game.

Our discussion turned to this board, and so hopefully he'll be lighting himself back up soon.

Ha! Thanks for giving me the nudge to check in here. It's been a long time.

Hi, scar!

Sadly, BT trivia is not as popular here (Bangor, or maybe most of New England) as it was in some of the other places I've lived. It was a jolt to have Librty recognize the handle and eventually realize it was from Scaratings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:08 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Buzztime trivia is alive and doing quite well not far from that BWW in Bangor. I'm sure you've been to the Sea Dog? Some don't play as a team but others certainly do. Plenty of players there, maybe not for Showdown but they do well other days and on CD.

Rollie's in nearby Belfast also has a good following, cool bar in a beautiful town.

I'd love to see a bar in Boothbay Harbor get BT, nothing close to there.

Oh and welcome back.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:31 am 
Special

BUD wrote:
Buzztime trivia is alive and doing quite well not far from that BWW in Bangor. I'm sure you've been to the Sea Dog? Some don't play as a team but others certainly do. Plenty of players there, maybe not for Showdown but they do well other days and on CD.

Rollie's in nearby Belfast also has a good following, cool bar in a beautiful town.

Oh and welcome back.

I've played at Sea Dog many times, especially before BWW existed here. I think only one time in the past two or three years there was another player. And the visibility of the screens is awful. I like to look at the TVs, not just down at the tablet. I go home with a sore neck every time I sit at the bar there and stare almost straight up to see the screens.

When I started playing in Auburn, AL 25 years ago, all 20 boxes would be out most night and each box had a team of several people around it. My own team had a half dozen players for most of the big games (Six, or whatever it was called back then -- Trivial Pursuit? and Showdown.) There would be scores of people involved on the "big nights". I just don't see that up this way.

I'm usually the only one playing at BWW, too. It gets very lonely and sometimes I think I'm seen as that eccentric old man hanging out at the sports bar and ignoring the sports.

When I'm in MA, I play at BWW Danvers, and there used to be a good contingent most nights maybe a dozen or so playing. The culture there was individual play, and then a crew of four people (I think) showed up and collaborated so most of the old players stopped coming. Don't get me wrong -- they're good players, and any of them playing solo would be very competitive. Now, other than Thursday nights, when they are there, there is usually no more than 3-4 people playing. And often just me and my trivia friend. Or just me, if she can't take it.

I like Belfast and even know the former mayor. I used to live on the coast, but a bit further up than Belfast. And now I am a half hour night go Bangor, which is an hour north of Belfast. So... not high on the list But if I'm down that way some evening, I certainly will check out Rollie's.

I worked in the summer in Bah Habbah a few years ago and there were two places across the street from each other. Sometimes it was pretty good there.

Oh, well, I'm just a grouchy old faht, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:36 am 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:

Had lunch at Schooner Landing a couple weeks ago.
Beautiful area.
In the summer.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:36 pm 

BUD wrote:

Oh and welcome back.

I'm planning to head for Sea Dog tonight. Hopefully I won't be playing alone. I'll happily team with anyone who wants to join in. Maybe we can give the official Sandbaggers a run for their money (We won't have enough to join the tournament, but we might climb the BT leader board...)

Otherwise I might end up singing with the Jam Session crew. (OK, I might do that anyway... ;) )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:40 pm 

Gypsy wrote:
Yep, LIBRTY, I'll be playing with SCAR and Friends in Louisville this week.

I don't know if you remember me, but I met you at Teaser's awhile back.

GYPSY

I think so. Glad you're still playing around!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:25 pm 

Librty wrote:
BUD wrote:

Oh and welcome back.

I'm planning to head for Sea Dog tonight. Hopefully I won't be playing alone. I'll happily team with anyone who wants to join in. Maybe we can give the official Sandbaggers a run for their money (We won't have enough to join the tournament, but we might climb the BT leader board...)

Otherwise I might end up singing with the Jam Session crew. (OK, I might do that anyway... ;) )

Unfortunately, Buzztime was comatose at Sea Dog tonight. They said they've been locked up on the logo splash screen for several days and are waiting for a technician to fix it. ☹️

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:54 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Well, I attended Auburn in the mid 70s. We'll need to share a few War Eagles next time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:36 pm 
Special

scar wrote:
Well, I attended Auburn in the mid 70s. We'll need to share a few War Eagles next time.

ha! I taught there in the mid-90s!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:54 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Small world. Welcome back Quahog.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:20 am 
Special

Librty wrote:
Librty wrote:
BUD wrote:

Oh and welcome back.

Unfortunately, Buzztime was comatose at Sea Dog tonight. They said they've been locked up on the logo splash screen for several days and are waiting for a technician to fix it. ☹️

Yo, LIBRTY -- I am 80% sure I'll be at BWW Bangor tonight. Not to late, might arrive around 7.