New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Minneapolis (downtown) Labor Day weekend
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:46 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Hi, all! I will be in downtown Mpls. Labor Day weekend. Going to the Twins game Sunday afternoon, then will be looking for place to play SIQ Sunday evening. Saw 3 possiblities on BT wesite: 8th St. Grille, Chammps, and Brothers. Any comments, ideas, suggestions as the best place to play? I wil be at City Center Hotel so within easy walking distance of any.

Also will be going to Twins game Fri. night and State Fair on Saturday, but not sure I will be able to work any trivia in any other time. Mainly looking to play SIQ on SUnday evening. Any comments appreciated!!

Tim (TNC)

Post subject: Re: Minneapolis (downtown) Labor Day weekend
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:17 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

There was a thread below where Minn. was discussed last month.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=530

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:35 pm 
The Meaning of Life

Being in downtown Minneapolis, especially Labor Day weekend, they will all be somewhat quieter than normal on a Sunday evening. Chammps and Brothers are only one block apart and fairly close to the Twins stadium, so they might have a little more action right after the Twins game.

Brothers is mostly a younger crowd with a frat-bar atmosphere. 8th St. Grill has the best food of those mentioned and while I've never been there on a Sunday, it's possibile you might have some actual trivia competition there -- unless Barca happens to be at Brothers that day...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:43 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Guava wrote:
Being in downtown Minneapolis, especially Labor Day weekend, they will all be somewhat quieter than normal on a Sunday evening. Chammps and Brothers are only one block apart and fairly close to the Twins stadium, so they might have a little more action right after the Twins game.

Brothers is mostly a younger crowd with a frat-bar atmosphere. 8th St. Grill has the best food of those mentioned and while I've never been there on a Sunday, it's possibile you might have some actual trivia competition there -- unless Barca happens to be at Brothers that day...

Thanks for the info! I may actully prefer 8th Street since it is a few more blocks away from the stadium and thus will probably be a bit quieter. I do take the Sports games pretty seriously so would like to be able to concentrate a little better than maybe a post-baseball game crowd will allow!!

The sports game will likely be on at 8th St. and not programmed out because no one there likes to play it? If so that is likely where I will head.

Again thanks for the info!!

Tim (TNC)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:51 pm 
First Palindrome

TCHCNB wrote:
Guava wrote:

Thanks for the info! I may actully prefer 8th Street since it is a few more blocks away from the stadium and thus will probably be a bit quieter. I do take the Sports games pretty seriously so would like to be able to concentrate a little better than maybe a post-baseball game crowd will allow!!

The sports game will likely be on at 8th St. and not programmed out because no one there likes to play it? If so that is likely where I will head.

Again thanks for the info!!

Tim (TNC)

The sports game would normally be programmed out if I'm playing there, but I won't if you want to play it. I'll likely be in at some point that evening. If we're going to play sports I'll have to brush up and try to remember whether Michael Schumacher plays baseball or basketball.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:01 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Thanks, Barca!

I will plan on being there sometime after the Twins game is over. I appreciate you leaving sports game programmed in for that evening!! Thanks much!!

Tim (TNC)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:27 pm 
For For Texters

Minneapolis seems to be quite popular on here lately. Beats going in January.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:57 am 
Centenarian

Who left the barn door open?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:36 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Well we made it to Mpls over Labor Day weekend.

Played Trivia at Brothers Friday afternoon for a couple hours before the Twins game.

On Sunday afternoon after the Twins game made it over to 8th Street Grill at 530 to play the SIQ. 8th Street Grill had a sign on their door stating they were closed Sunday and Monday. Hustled the 6 blocks or so back to Brothers to play there.
It was only mildy crowded with a predominantly younger crowd, the majority of whom seemed to have come from the Twins game. Several were pretty loud and obnoxious but it wasnt too over the top. We had a very good bartender. I think he was one of the managers. Was very accommodating. Food wasnt bad at all. The only negative was they had run out of Summit Extra Pale ALe (one of my favorites), and apart from that they didnt have much that I was intersted in from a beer standpoint. Settled for Fat Tire which isnt too bad.

Was able to play SIQ with no problem. One other guy was playing a few stools down. He freely admitted he wasnt a sports guy. I helped him for the first couple rounds but he eventually lost interest and quit.

Was disapponted not to be able to see 8th Street Grill and see if Barca or if any of their other regulars woudl have been in, but maybe next time!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:39 pm 
First Palindrome

Sorry I missed you. I left town unexpectedly. Next time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:45 pm 
The Meaning of Life

TCHCNB wrote:
Was disapponted not to be able to see 8th Street Grill and see if Barca or if any of their other regulars woudl have been in, but maybe next time!!

Sorry none of the 8th Streeters were able to meet up with you -- I ended up going to the State Fair Sunday. At least you got to see the Twins, play SIQ and drink some Summit, so I hope you had an enjoyable time nonetheless.

Definitely let us know next time you're in Minneapolis.