New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New to forums, not to Buzztime
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I've been playing buzztime casually for a couple years now. During that time I occasionally would look for forums (did the buzztime site once have them?) but never found anything until I found this the other day. I'm glad I can finally talk to others users in this way... I live in a trivia wasteland. There is no longer an NTN location in my town (they couldn't afford it - local business not a major chain), so I have to go 15-20 minutes down south to the closest location. It's kind of funny, when I search for a location on the site.... the maps shows places north, south, and west - all 20 minutes away or greater. Even when we had our location all I could do in a communal sense was bring a player and his friend up from their spot to help in a smartest bar contest. There weren't even six of us and so we didn't win (though we won a prize pack.... but I was away at college when it came and they saved nothing for me).

Basically I am starved for a sense of community in buzztime trivia. Even now, it's basically just my father and I...occasionally a few randoms who quit after losing a game to me. Not that I'm super competitive anyway, to give you an idea of the field with which I have to make due. When there was Countdown and Buzztime Trivia my averages were 9k and 6k, respectively. Not that great, I know. But I don't have anything pushing me to get better.

I am probably rambling at this point, but I am excited to be here and hope to get to know some of you.

- Mr. Gray

Post subject: Re: New to forums, not to Buzztime
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:11 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Welcome :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:12 pm 
Lotsa Posta

mrgray wrote:
I've been playing buzztime casually for a couple years now. During that time I occasionally would look for forums (did the buzztime site once have them?) but never found anything until I found this the other day. I'm glad I can finally talk to others users in this way... I live in a trivia wasteland. There is no longer an NTN location in my town (they couldn't afford it - local business not a major chain), so I have to go 15-20 minutes down south to the closest location. It's kind of funny, when I search for a location on the site.... the maps shows places north, south, and west - all 20 minutes away or greater. Even when we had our location all I could do in a communal sense was bring a player and his friend up from their spot to help in a smartest bar contest. There weren't even six of us and so we didn't win (though we won a prize pack.... but I was away at college when it came and they saved nothing for me).

Basically I am starved for a sense of community in buzztime trivia. Even now, it's basically just my father and I...occasionally a few randoms who quit after losing a game to me. Not that I'm super competitive anyway, to give you an idea of the field with which I have to make due. When there was Countdown and Buzztime Trivia my averages were 9k and 6k, respectively. Not that great, I know. But I don't have anything pushing me to get better.

I am probably rambling at this point, but I am excited to be here and hope to get to know some of you.

- Mr. Gray

Welcome to Scaratings, Mr. Gray! There is certainly a sense of community here, dysfunctional as we may sometimes seem. Let me know if you're ever near Delaware. We'd love to have you stop in!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Oh dear. Sounds like a place even more site-poor than NTN Buzztime's Site-Poor Backyard. :o

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:39 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Thanks for the welcome y'all. I don't go up north too often but if I'm in the area I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:42 pm 
Himself Fodder

Yes, BT's site used to have forums. No longer.

If nobody at your location is pushing you then you should be attempting to compete with those who make the national top 20. Almost all of us here are in that same boat. It can be a daunting task, but also an enjoyable one.

And hopefully you play the game for trivia knowledge and to achieve the highest score you can each and every game. To hell with P+ points and badges, they aren't worth a second thought. Just play trivia.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

mrgray wrote:

- Mr. Gray

First, I want say that I thought you were great in Dreamcatcher.
Second, the best way to get good at trivia is to play trivia.
If there were an easier, quicker recipe I would be happy to share it... :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 am 
Octogenarian

Welcome from me too! if anyone has less sites than liljol it is me, closest one is approximately 350 miles away over a mountain pass.

Guess i will have to fly from my island home to Calgary to play in a bar.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Welcome, MRGRAY, from the trivia gene puddle of Hillbillyville...West "By God" Virginia.

I usually have to play solo, due to a lack of players in my area, but make trips to other sites within a 45 mile distance to try and find some folks to play against/with. Nothing like poor DEFFY, though...EGADS!!!

There is quite an eclectic mix of folks on this site, so enjoy the chatter/banter.

And you may want to plan some vacation time in mid-July to partake in a little trivia non-bash called Triviapalooza that is ghost-hosted by the phantom scarecrow, TOLLE, in the Cincy area. It's a fun way to meet other players and watch people attempt to defy gravity...usually unsuccessfully....while putting up some good semi-national scores. Many members of this site attend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:16 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Well welcome to the site. New blood is always good for us.

So where do you play ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Welcome, Mr. Gray--it is good to have you here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:26 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Welcome, Mr. Gray :D

defined1 wrote:
Welcome from me too! if anyone has less sites than liljol it is me, closest one is approximately 350 miles away over a mountain pass.

If you do, I'll be glad to save you a seat at Rembrandt's

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:04 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Lots of replies, will do my best to answer them. :D

Quote:
If nobody at your location is pushing you then you should be attempting to compete with those who make the national top 20. Almost all of us here are in that same boat. It can be a daunting task, but also an enjoyable one.

And hopefully you play the game for trivia knowledge and to achieve the highest score you can each and every game. To hell with P+ points and badges, they aren't worth a second thought. Just play trivia.

That's true. I have actually been in the Top 20 score before, just once or twice. One was for Lexitopia when I got over 9,000. It said I was ...13th? But when I got to the website it had me at 25th. I always notice that. If I get 68 in the nation at the location it becomes 98 or so on the website haha.

And oh yeah it's certainly not about P+ points. And this badge thing...feels cheap, as if they are just reaching desperately for something to interest casual players.

Quote:
First, I want say that I thought you were great in Dreamcatcher.
Second, the best way to get good at trivia is to play trivia.
If there were an easier, quicker recipe I would be happy to share it...

Why thank you. *bow* :P I always wondered how much repeat questions come into play when deciding top scores. Do people who play all the time get a lot of "free passes" that way? I don't have even half a million points but I know I've recognized some repeats.

Quote:

:shock: Sounds like it's time to move.

Quote:
Welcome, MRGRAY, from the trivia gene puddle of Hillbillyville...West "By God" Virginia.

And you may want to plan some vacation time in mid-July to partake in a little trivia non-bash called Triviapalooza

Hey there. I think I saw your name in the top 20 when I played this past weekend. As well as you do, you must be hurting for local wins eh? :p And yeah I saw a thread on that the other day, looks very interesting. Especially if it IS the last one. Hope it's not, though.

Quote:
Well welcome to the site. New blood is always good for us.

So where do you play ?

Got some bad news for you. My blood type designates me as the universal receiver. I can take anyone's blood but mine can only go to my people. :p It's cool though because when I donate they give it to babies that fit. That way they can use more accessible blood on others. 3.4% of the U.S. population has my type. AB+

And I play in Colonial Heights, Virginia. I don't feel like I have a "home" location, so mine is set to the place I played at during college. They had a really cool group of people and we all competed for restaurant credit. It was who had the most total points after playing Brainbuster, Showdown, and then the game that used to follow it.

And thanks to the others who welcomed me. Hope to get to know you all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:35 pm 
Centenarian

tiefly wrote:

And you may want to plan some vacation time in mid-July to partake in a little trivia non-bash called Triviapalooza that is ghost-hosted by the phantom scarecrow, TOLLE, in the Cincy area. It's a fun way to meet other players and watch people attempt to defy gravity...usually unsuccessfully....

Allegedly!! :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

sakictgif wrote:
tiefly wrote:

And you may want to plan some vacation time in mid-July to partake in a little trivia non-bash called Triviapalooza that is ghost-hosted by the phantom scarecrow, TOLLE, in the Cincy area. It's a fun way to meet other players and watch people attempt to defy gravity...usually unsuccessfully....

You only have the "SPIEGS of the Northeast" as your representation...I've got the original...vuvazela thing notwithstanding...EGADS!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:40 pm 
Centenarian

tiefly wrote:
sakictgif wrote:
tiefly wrote:

You only have the "SPIEGS of the Northeast" as your representation...I've got the original...vuvazela thing notwithstanding...EGADS!!!

Very true...I'm jealous.

Of course they both have given me "Grimace" moments... the original Spiegs because he's a funny b@staahd, the Spiegs of the Northeast because he does things like mention Beau Bridges as the star of the movie "10" after a few cold ones... :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:06 pm 
Centenarian

Hi! I just joined! The NTN player handle is SEKA, and I guess some of you know me (and even met me in person, such as LILJOL). I've been playing NTN since 1987!

And for those who don't know me...no, I'm not the retired adult-movie star from the 1970's/80's. At least, not on nights when I'm playing trivia. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Welcome to the forums! I seem to remember you from the old Buzztime forums, unless I'm mistaken.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

SEKA wrote:
Hi! I just joined! The NTN player handle is SEKA, and I guess some of you know me (and even met me in person, such as LILJOL). I've been playing NTN since 1987!

And for those who don't know me...no, I'm not the retired adult-movie star from the 1970's/80's. At least, not on nights when I'm playing trivia. ;)

Glad u joined us SEKA

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:13 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Welcome. Believe I remember you as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:32 am 
Lord of Scaratings

I certainly remember, welcome !