New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Incorrect Questions Forum
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:37 am 

ANON wrote:
MICE wrote:
I'd like to grab a two-fer here and thank Ranger on the deaccession of excessively subtle questions. Can Ranger recall where and when his library may have required deaccessioning? Wait! Doesn't Ranger live in Wisconsin, where they refer to water fountains as bubblers?

I'm not a librarian, but I deal with them regularly (including one who occasionally plays with the team). They have assured me that this is a term they use.

Thanks, ANON. I'm taking your remarks, as well as RANGER's, back to KAYFAB. I was happy to collect 970 unearned points on the question when it appeared; my teammates also pulled me out of soup on 'pusillanimous.' Hey! It's dangerous out there!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:48 am 

Not long after my previous post I strolled into the local beer garden (where, it being summer here, the beer busches are in full bloom) just in time for a Countdown Question 6: Define 'Glean':
"Ok," thinx I to myself, "Old English for separating and collecting grain from chaff, whether in the field or on the threshing floor." Then the drop-down box appeared: 1...2...3. Separate 4. Collect 5... I tried to perform a quick mental calculus: you might glean a single fact, but one of anything doesn't make a collection, which implies a set. Oh, hell! If in doubt take Mother's Rule. So I hit #3, completely unaware that Wiktionary's first definition for 'Glean,' is 'Collect.'
After I'd muffed a few more questions, my thoughts assumed a darker cast: "The Mice are a bunch of idiots," and "That'll teach me to turn somersaults while stark, raving sober," and "Thank God RHINO isn't here to scoff at this debacle. Fortunately there's no way he'll ever find out about it."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:29 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

MICE wrote:
"SO....How in the name of all that is fucking holy did BT define it, in Showdown of all places, as lacking principles?" - Rhino

That's an eloquent deliquescence, Dave. Why can't I have meltdowns like yours? During the reign of King Bill, maybe 1997, Showdown had a definition question, the subject I've forgotten, but failing to find the definition in Webster's Unabridged, and well aware that there was a homographic French cognate, which sounds racy but none will admit to it, I consulted Cassell's New French, where the Showdown writer had placed his money on a 5th variant, not altogether in keeping with the previous four - rather as if bond-bearers, torchbearers, and Barry Bonds, all suddenly gave way to an infuriated herbivore. Your horn is too sharp for more intimate inspection. Decision for the plaintiff.

I'd like to grab a two-fer here and thank Ranger on the deaccession of excessively subtle questions. Can Ranger recall where and when his library may have required deaccessioning? Wait! Doesn't Ranger live in Wisconsin, where they refer to water fountains as bubblers?

On several occasions, both at the University of Wisconsin--La Crosse and at Olivet College in Michigan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:20 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

MICE wrote:
Not long after my previous post I strolled into the local beer garden (where, it being summer here, the beer busches are in full bloom) just in time for a Countdown Question 6: Define 'Glean':
"Ok," thinx I to myself, "Old English for separating and collecting grain from chaff, whether in the field or on the threshing floor." Then the drop-down box appeared: 1...2...3. Separate 4. Collect 5... I tried to perform a quick mental calculus: you might glean a single fact, but one of anything doesn't make a collection, which implies a set. Oh, hell! If in doubt take Mother's Rule. So I hit #3, completely unaware that Wiktionary's first definition for 'Glean,' is 'Collect.'
After I'd muffed a few more questions, my thoughts assumed a darker cast: "The Mice are a bunch of idiots," and "That'll teach me to turn somersaults while stark, raving sober," and "Thank God RHINO isn't here to scoff at this debacle. Fortunately there's no way he'll ever find out about it."

Come now I'm far too aware of biblical bits and pieces to miss that one. Of course it's about the only place you'll see glean used these days. Extra tidbit of biblical/Judaism trivia here. The biblical law about leaving the corners of your field unharvested so that poor people can glean the remaining crop is seen by some as the materialistic mirror to the more famous law about not cutting the corners of your hair, a sign of reverence to God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:43 pm 

So here I am, innocently attempting to clarify a point of Old English etymology, by invoking the name of an Old Englishman, and now I'm informed that, by my selfish nature, I'm obliged to trim my fretlocks. RHINO, that's just plain...singular. I was hoping for something autochthonous.

The latest issue of Harper's Monthly, in its Findings column, informs us that mice who groom each other's fur into mohawks have been deemed appropriate test subjects for autism spectrum. I'm hoping to be admitted to the program, but if the test is really difficult, I'll probably get nervous and just blow it, as usual.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:59 pm 
Himself Fodder

CD this afternoon, Matthew Perry served in which war? He served in both 1812 and Mexican-American, both were listed as choices. Desired answer was Mexican-American.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:16 pm 

ranger wrote:
MICE wrote:
"SO....How in the name of all that is fucking holy did BT define it, in Showdown of all places, as lacking principles?" - Rhino

That's an eloquent deliquescence, Dave. Why can't I have meltdowns like yours? During the reign of King Bill, maybe 1997, Showdown had a definition question, the subject I've forgotten, but failing to find the definition in Webster's Unabridged, and well aware that there was a homographic French cognate, which sounds racy but none will admit to it, I consulted Cassell's New French, where the Showdown writer had placed his money on a 5th variant, not altogether in keeping with the previous four - rather as if bond-bearers, torchbearers, and Barry Bonds, all suddenly gave way to an infuriated herbivore. Your horn is too sharp for more intimate inspection. Decision for the plaintiff.

On several occasions, both at the University of Wisconsin--La Crosse and at Olivet College in Michigan.

KAYFAB has only worked for public libraries, never in academia. Based on ANON's and RANGER's testimony, we're lining up behind them: Buzztime screwed the pooch.

In tonight's (7/15) Brainbuster: Which plant comes in both herbaceous and woody varieties? 1.Hibiscus 2. Rose 3. Bougainvillea 4. Peony 5. Chrysanthemum.
This is a delightful failure of due diligence. #2 & #3 are only woody (I think), but #1, #4 and #5 (yes, the chrysanthemum!) are all qualifiers. Uncultivated chrysanthemums sometimes grow as woody shrubs. Hats off to anyone who nailed #4 Peony - that lottery slip needs your urgent attention.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:12 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The question-writer and/or fact-checker had a serious meltdown in the 8/23/14 Playback game.

First they asked during the FPound Round which song off of Dark Side of the Moon was a Top 40 single? They listed six of the 10 songs (giving Speak to Me and Breathe as a single entry), but somehow failed to list the correct answer -- Money! They claimed that Time was correct, and it was a very popular song, but only on FM radio and in very smoky dorm rooms. Do they think time is money or something????

Then we got to the Headliner Round, topic being the 27 Club. Here's a hint: If you're going to do a game on the 27 Club, you'd better know what exactly the 27 Club is! Instead question 1 made the claim that the Club consisted of musicians who had ________ before reaching age 27. Uh, no. It's people who died at age 27, not before it.

Let's see what facts they make up next week.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:33 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
CD this afternoon, Matthew Perry served in which war? He served in both 1812 and Mexican-American, both were listed as choices. Desired answer was Mexican-American.

He fought both wars with Matt LeBlanc, Courteney Cox, David Schwimmer, Lisa Kudrow, and Jennifer Aniston! :P ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:33 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

SEKA wrote:
-BO- wrote:

He fought both wars with Matt LeBlanc, Courteney Cox, David Schwimmer, Lisa Kudrow, and Jennifer Aniston! :P ;)
No way! The Quakers aren't warlike.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:00 pm 
Centenarian

kaufman wrote:
SEKA wrote:
-BO- wrote:

No way! The Quakers aren't warlike.

"Quakers aren't warlike"? You could've fooled me! :lol:

Signed,
The Ghost of President Richard M. Nixon (a Quaker) ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Q14 of one of the 9/7 Countdown games asked what Bob Benoit did in 2008 (or some such like that). Answer was something like FIRST 300 ON NATIONAL TV.

According to Wikipedia, the first nationally televised 300 game was in 1967. My fragile lil mind may well be getting more and more decrepit by the day :cry:, but something told me that whomever wrote that question horribly bungled it. :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_game_(bowling)#Televised_300_games

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:52 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. Q14 of one of the 9/7 Countdown games asked what Bob Benoit did in 2008 (or some such like that). Answer was something like FIRST 300 ON NATIONAL TV.

According to Wikipedia, the first nationally televised 300 game was in 1967. My fragile lil mind may well be getting more and more decrepit by the day :cry:, but something told me that whomever wrote that question horribly bungled it. :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_game_(bowling)#Televised_300_games

Bob Benoit's Wiki page states that he was the fifth person to roll a 300 on TV but the first to do so in a title match round in 1988.
Maybe they mentioned the title match part in the question.
Or maybe they simply left out a key question element for the 5,210,654th time.
I could go either way on this one...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:43 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Looks like Buzztime shot for the moon, and ended up among the . . . ceiling debris on this question

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. 9/15, 6:00 PM Pacific Countdown, Q7. Question went something like "SAN FRANCISCO AND CINCINNATI MET IN THE 1982 ______" [SUPER BOWL]. The factoid went something like "JOE MONTANA LED THE 49ERS TO A COMEBACK 26-21 WIN."

The 1982 Super Bowl (XVI) had The 49ers leading 20-0 at the half. :roll: Methinks someone got SB XVI confused with SB XXIII, and that final score was 20-16. :(

<--thinking that The NTN Buzztime Content Team will likely say as lil about SB XXIX as possible... :lol:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. 9/16, 4:00 Pacific Countdown, Q1. Question went something like "THIS QUARTERBACK IN SUPER BOWL XVI WORE #16" [JOE MONTANA]. Factoid went something like "MONTANA LED THE 49ERS TO A COMEBACK 26-21 WIN." :(

Sure looks like someone has badly confused SBs XVI & XXIII. After taking a lil peek in this year's NFL Record & Fact Book, The 49ers led SB XVI wire to wire. :roll: They broke the hearts of those poor fans of those poor bungles in XXIII with Montana's TD pass to John Taylor with 0:34 left, capping a 92 yard drive. Image

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:38 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

SIX, 10/2: During the Marathon Round, we asked which team did not make the 2014 major league postseason. Our choices were:

1) Seattle Mariners
2) St. Louis Cardinals
3) Washington Senators

Looks like two correct answers to me. In fact, I had to frantically call the team off the answer that referred to a team last disbanded 43 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:37 pm 
Centenarian

countdown, Nov. 14.

"Which video game was the first to allow players to enter their initials for high score?"

Buzztime wanted "Asteroids" as the answer.

Space Invaders was a distractor. The game Space Invaders 2, known as Space Invaders Deluxe in the US, had this feature. It was introduced by Taito in September 1979. Asteroids wasn't introduced by Atari until November 1979.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:12 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

SIX, 11/20/14, Marathon Round.

We were asked which of the listed moons was not among the five Galilean satellites of Jupiter. Galileo will be so bummed to find out there was a spot on his lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

kaufman wrote:
SIX, 11/20/14, Marathon Round.

We were asked which of the listed moons was not among the five Galilean satellites of Jupiter. Galileo will be so bummed to find out there was a spot on his lens.

Or was that the Great Red Spot? ;) Maybe that fifth satellite was downgraded to a dwarf moon... :mrgreen:

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. There was a two way clue in the 2/16 FPULSE...

The question asked for the combined score of the 2015 NBA All-Star Game (321). However, 332 was also a choice, and the third clue was "32 WILL DO". :roll: :(

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:58 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

In the Past Times game, 2/18, a question asked which of these was a soldier in the American Revolution. Only one of the choices was alive then, so the answer had to be Tom Paine, but he was never a soldier. His father was a Quaker.
XT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:17 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

There was a question last night, 3/4/15, I think in Showdown, about who is the governor of Texas. The Buzzie answer was Rick Perry, but he's no longer the governor. Since January Greg Abbott (I think) has been the governor.
XT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:17 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

xtrain wrote:
There was a question last night, 3/4/15, I think in Showdown, about who is the governor of Texas. The Buzzie answer was Rick Perry, but he's no longer the governor. Since January Greg Abbott (I think) has been the governor.
XT

When all of us Texans at Coaches saw the question come up, I knew the Buzzies were going to be wrong, because clearly they were looking for someone who would be known outside the state, and Abbott just didn't seem like a likely candidate (and everyone should hope it stays that way, because he's just as bad as Perry.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:00 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Six tonight, match the element to its atomic number. Iodine was allegedly #51. Really? Iodine is #53. Antimony is #51. How did that happen?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next