New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Incorrect Questions Forum
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hells bells. Just when TomD says he needs a break... :roll:

Friday, 12/14, Lunchtime Trivia, 1:00 P.M. - Q2 asked who briefly married Julia Roberts (LYLE LOVETT). Clue 2 read "TO PETT NAME" (eliminating TOM PETTY); believe that should have read instead "NO PETT NAME". :(

Saturday, 12/15:

Countdown, 5:00 P.M., Q14 asked which musical had "Human Again" (BEAUTY AND THE BEAST) - two of the other four choices were CHICAGO. :cry:

Countdown, 8:00 P.M., Q13, one of the choices was "DR. SEUSSE". :( :cry:

EDIT - Monday, 12/17, Countdown, 3:30 - Q4, Elton John hits, except BORN TO RUN. The third clue was GET SOME SUN. :roll: :? :cry:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:55 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

*Dr. Hibbert voice*

Cheers to TomD for all his recent editing work! :D

Jeers to FPNGWN for pushing him over the edge :x

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Showdown, 12/18, Category Round, Recent Deaths -

Question asked which HEAVYWEIGHT champion Carmen Basilio defeated in 1957. Answer was SUGAR RAY ROBINSON, however Robinson was the MIDDLEWEIGHT champion at the time; Basilio had moved up from WELTERWEIGHT to face Robinson. One of the other choices was heavyweight champion JOE LOUIS.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Another beaut from tonight's mess of a Showdown game...

There was some question where the correct answer was VENEZUELA and the 3rd clue was "SUPER BOL", which pointed to zero of the answer choices. I think this was during the Countdown Round, but can't remember for sure.

There was another screwup during Showdown also, but I don't remember offhand what it was... It'll be pretty easy for me to find should someone bother to recap this garbage.

3 screwups out of the 31 questions in what's supposed to be your premier, ultimate game... Nice going. All week to write, edit, and double-check facts of your top game, and you goof on almost 10% of the q's... Wow, just wow.

Tonight was the first time in 3 or 4 weeks that I played Showdown. BT will probably be out of business by the time I decide that I want to try it again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:08 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

i think showdown has been great this year. i reviewed this thread for 2012. there were only two previous times this year that had any noted errors for showdown. in august there was a 3rd clue that pointed to two possible answers and in march there was a pyramid round question that had the wrong answer twice. the sugar ray robinson question is apparently the first one this year where there was a problem with the actual question. i would say that that is a pretty fantastic job of editing and checking for the year.

frankly i've been thinkikng for some time that buzztime has been doing a much better job of getting their questions and answers right this year. i say good job this year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Playback 12/29: Headliner Round, question 1. The question asked what was Dolly's first solo country single. The answer given was Joshua.

Buzztime either keyed in the wrong answer or they left the words "#1 hit" out of the question.

"Dumb Blonde" was Dolly's first solo charting country hit.

"Joshua" was Dolly's first #1 hit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Lexitopia: how is subrogate not a legal maneuver. Subrogate is when you have someone else show up in your place at court, that seems like a maneuver. But, the answer you wanted was substitute (okay), but why have two obviously correct answers?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 am 
Himself Fodder

How about that fixed star question in CD last night perhaps 6c? The reason a star appears to be fixed is because it's so far away from Earth? Really?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
How about that fixed star question in CD last night perhaps 6c? The reason a star appears to be fixed is because it's so far away from Earth? Really?

Yes, that seems exactly right. What other answer did you have in mind?

I did not play this CD by the way; I came in late for BB. But what you report as BT's answer sounds fine.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:30 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

zog741 wrote:
-BO- wrote:

I did not play this CD by the way; I came in late for BB. But what you report as BT's answer sounds fine.

-- RWM

I know we went with "moving at same speed as Earth". I was very hesitant with this badly paraphrased answer and the distance one was my backup.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Neptune is the most distant, and the slowest, major planet. It is 9000 times closer than the nearest star, Proxima Centauri. Most visible stars are much further away than that.

The Sun's forward speed is around 12 miles per second. Other stars move at similar speeds, but it's impossible to detect in a human lifetime given that all of them are at least 26 trillion miles away.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:38 am 
King or Queen Postalot

zog741 wrote:
-BO- wrote:

-- RWM

I agree with Zog and Buzztime; distance is exactly why the stars appear fixed. That, and the stars of the Milky Way galaxy close enough for us to see revolve more or less uniformly over the course of 200 million years

I'll use Sirius for my example, since it's close, significant, and observable by almost anyone south of the Arctic Circle. Sirius lies 8.6 light years away, or 5.879 trillion miles, or 63,250 AU, whichever you prefer. The angle formed by Earth-Sirius-Sun measures around 0.000906°. Sirius' parallax is roughly 0.377 arcseconds, hence six months of the Earth's movement around the Sun yields a change in the position of Sirius equal to 1/6 the size of Neptune's disk -- which I can barely resolve in binoculars -- and another six months causes the star to swing back to almost the original position. Obviously, only professionals using sophisticated equipment are going to notice changes so slight. Hell, most general-use charts and catalogues are only updated every 50 years

Even if we assume the Sun is moving relative to Sirius rather than the galactic center, and we plug in Zog's 12 miles/second (yielding an additional 378.7 million miles, or 4 AU), it still would not be enough to change the position of Sirius in the sky by more than one Neptune disk per year, or the angular diameter of the Moon per 1000 years

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
...I'll use Sirius for my example, since it's close, significant, and observable by almost anyone south of the Arctic Circle. Sirius lies 8.6 light years away, or 5.879 trillion miles, or 63,250 AU, whichever you prefer. The angle formed by Earth-Sirius-Sun measures around 0.000906°. Sirius' parallax is roughly 0.377 arcseconds, hence six months of the Earth's movement around the Sun yields a change in the position of Sirius equal to 1/6 the size of Neptune's disk -- which I can barely resolve in binoculars -- and another six months causes the star to swing back to almost the original position. Obviously, only professionals using sophisticated equipment are going to notice changes so slight. Hell, most general-use charts and catalogues are only updated every 50 years...

I just wanted to point out that 5.879 trillion miles or 63,250 astronomical units is the distance of one light-year. Sirius' distance is 8.6 times greater than that, so more than 50 trillion miles and about 544,000 astronomical units. Other than that, great post. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

D'oh! That's what I get for trying to do math at 4 AM

Errata: how about 50.56 trillion miles, 543,950 AU, and 0.000105° instead? (I googled the parallax and angular diameter figures, so those remain unamended)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:15 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Old error reappeared this week. 12 Mar 2013 1500 EST Coutdown Question 2:

Which place wasn't attacked 7 Dec 1941 by the Japanese?

1. Hong Kong
2. Malaya
3. Midway
4. Phillipines
5. Pearl Harbor

Buzztimes answer Midway WRONG

Pearl Harbor and Midway were both attacked on 7 Dec, all the others were attacked 8 Dec due to being on the otherside of the International Date Line. Midway was attacked by two destroyers (Ushio and Sazanami) to neutralize the Marines and seaplane base.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

So did the September 11 coward attacks take place on the same day everywhere?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
So did the September 11 coward attacks take place on the same day everywhere?

I think your comment is irrelevant to the previous post.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:52 pm 
Centenarian

Main database, roughly "which of these would use terrazo?" Both roof and flooring appeared in answers, and flooring was the desired result. Eliminate roof which is also an acceptable answer for this question.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:43 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Somebody needs to stop dictating factoids to the transcribers, or they need to speak more clearly.

Tonight (5/30/13) in Immortal Words, we were asked which president said "The business of America is Business". The answer was Calvin Coolidge, but the factoid labeled him as the thirteenth president, not the thirtieth.

Poor Mr. Fillmore must be rolling over about now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:39 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Today, I believe in the first CDT Countdown, We were asked which movie featured people travelling back in time from the present. Buzztime's answer was Back to the Future, but one of the distractors was Somewhere in Time, which is also correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:57 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Several months back there was a question on Lunchtime trivia. I don't remember the exact wording, but something to the tune of which company manufactures the Lancer? Both Chrysler and Mitsubishi were up there (and both made a Lancer), I chose Chrysler and the desired answer was Mitsubishi. They should remove Chrysler from that question.

If you look it up the Lancer was technically a Dodge, but they did ask for the Company not the Brand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

ranger wrote:
Today, I believe in the first CDT Countdown, We were asked which movie featured people travelling back in time from the present. Buzztime's answer was Back to the Future, but one of the distractors was Somewhere in Time, which is also correct.

Perhaps the question writer agrees with my assessment that Somewhere in Time should not count as a time travel movie. Exactly how does one hypnotize oneself back in time? Lame. You're better than that Matheson! :mrgreen:
BT usually tries to trip us up by dusting off the old Time After Time option on this type of question,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:21 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

In the 6/20 Six Matching Round, we were asked to match the year with the baseball player who led the majors in home runs that year. One of the four offerings was 2013, and while Chris Davis may ultimately retain his homer lead, my crystal ball is a bit hazy. The author of the question was probably even going out on a bit of a limb in the lag between the writing of the question with that wording and the game. Either that or I want a piece of his time machine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:15 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

From last Saturday on countdown, vivarin is a tablet, not a table. The question & answer were right. The after clue/ explanation was missing one letter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:31 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

spotes wrote:
ranger wrote:

Perhaps the question writer agrees with my assessment that Somewhere in Time should not count as a time travel movie. Exactly how does one hypnotize oneself back in time? Lame. You're better than that Matheson! :mrgreen:
BT usually tries to trip us up by dusting off the old Time After Time option on this type of question,

How does one travel in time at all? Except for the old reliable one day forward every 24 hours method?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next