New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Incorrect Questions Forum
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:55 am 
Moderating Hobbit

By popular request, this section has been added.

The only rule: Please do not ever remind me about the Sci-Files question that said Tickle-Me-Elmo was one of the main actors on Stargate Atlantis.

Thanks!

Management

Post subject: Re: Incorrect Questions Forum
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Since TomD was so quick on my previous question. Friday's Topix game was absolutely horrible, twice the third clue led to someone else. I think one of them was to Buble, and the other was to something Avalon. Sorry, I can't be more specific I was not really caring about that crap game anyway...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:51 pm 
Centenarian

lewser wrote:
Since TomD was so quick on my previous question. Friday's Topix game was absolutely horrible, twice the third clue led to someone else. I think one of them was to Buble, and the other was to something Avalon. Sorry, I can't be more specific I was not really caring about that crap game anyway...

You are correct. Both clues pointed to wrong answers. :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:35 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

In last night's Six (12/29), during the Matching Round, there was a question - Match the Champions to the event it won (Paraphrased). It then said 2004 White Sox which you had to match to the World Series. Either it was intended to say 2005 White Sox won the World Series or the 2004 Red Sox won the series. Obviously it was still easy to get but it should be fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:04 pm 
Centenarian

tchoiniere wrote:
In last night's Six (12/29), during the Matching Round, there was a question - Match the Champions to the event it won (Paraphrased). It then said 2004 White Sox which you had to match to the World Series. Either it was intended to say 2005 White Sox won the World Series or the 2004 Red Sox won the series. Obviously it was still easy to get but it should be fixed.

You're correct. I changed the date to 2005.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:07 am 
Centenarian

tchoiniere wrote:

Your just pissed because the Redsox weren't mentioned:)lol Good question, keep as is!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Quite possibly buzztime's worst f***up ever... (I figured this day would come sooner or later)

Playback 1-1-11 Encore Question:

Stevie Wonder mentions which of these months in "I Just Called To Say I Love You:"

1. January
2. April
3. June
4. September
5. December

Both April and June are correct answers! :o

I started with April and then switched to June. Buzztime wanted April as the answer.

The funny thing is this was the last song I listened to before I left for trivia tonight. And I thought the Encore question might be "All of these months are mentioned in Steve Wonder's "I Just Called To Say I Love You" EXCEPT:"

But judging by the tidbit, buzztime apparently thinks only 3 months are mentioned in this song :roll:

I'm just glad Getaway was closed tonight and we weren't playing as a team. I feel bad for Fletchers and Cadi Jacks, who were open and had their teams there tonight. Judging by scores, they appeared to pick June as their lead answer, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Just checked one of the lyrics websites on this song. April, June, and August were mentioned, although April was mentioned first. I recall that the Encore question asked for which month was first mentioned in the Stevie Wonder song, and if that's the case, April would be the answer.

-- RWM

Edit: Per Rocket Robin's subsequent post, I can see that July was also mentioned in the song, so the months mentioned, in order, are April, June, July, and August.

Last edited by zog741 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Just checked one of the lyrics websites on this song.

Last edited by poman on Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:05 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Nope! "Which month does Stevie Wonder mention by name in "I Just Called To Say I Love You Lyrics"?

I dictated those exact words into my micro recorder so I could post a recap. No mention about 'first'.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Although I see Rocket Robin's post, I am not convinced. I'm quite sure that the word "first" did appear in the Encore question, and my strongest drink all night was iced tea (and not the Long Island variety.)

Perhaps TomD or someone else with Buzztime can confirm the exact wording of the question.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:25 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

zog741 wrote:
Although I see Rocket Robin's post, I am not convinced. I'm quite sure that the word "first" did appear in the Encore question, and my strongest drink all night was iced tea (and not the Long Island variety.)

Perhaps TomD or someone else with Buzztime can confirm the exact wording of the question.

-- RWM

I am almost positive that first was not in the question. We debated throwing the boxes through the TV at Bostons when playing as we started with April then settled on June. Of course, I have had too many beers today so I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:32 pm 
Centenarian

It appears we got this one wrong. The word *first* was not in the question.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thank you for clarifying, TomD. I thought the word "first" was in the question and I was mistaken. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:23 am 
Octogenarian

zog741 wrote:
Thank you for clarifying, TomD. I thought the word "first" was in the question and I was mistaken. :)

-- RWM

I absolutely guarantee there was no mention of "first" in the question.
Until last night, I would have defended NTN against anyone who would argue Team Trivia is
simply a better product than NTN trivia. I realize it was one error, but it was a HUGE error, and even
if the word "first" had been in there judging by the results the question was bad.
If it weren't for the guys I play with, I wouldn't be back.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

craig921 wrote:
Until last night, I would have defended NTN against anyone who would argue Team Trivia is
simply a better product than NTN trivia. I realize it was one error, but it was a HUGE error, and even
if the word "first" had been in there judging by the results the question was bad.

My error in reading the question and NTN's error in presenting it are two entirely different things! And quite frankly, had the word "first" been in the question, then the question would have been fair and unambiguous. The first explicit name of a month in Stevie Wonder's song "I Just Called To Say I Love You" is "April."

Remember also, that Playback is a game. No, the Buzztime employees involved should not be proud of creating an error of this magnitude affecting half of the scores of large teams. I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets fired over this, although I personally hope that doesn't happen. But I wouldn't count this as a huge error. A decision by an air traffic controller that causes a fatal crash is a huge error.

Whether or not you play trivia again with or without the "guys you play with" is up to you. As I don't work for NTN, I really couldn't care less. :) I myself have been playing for eleven years, I have seen mistakes throughout those eleven years and continue to play NTN because it is an inexpensive way for me to have fun and to know more about the world around me. But certainly I can understand your indignation over last night's question. But by responding to my prior comment, you are directing that indignation to the wrong place.

Have a happy new year. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:22 am 
Octogenarian

zog741 wrote:
craig921 wrote:

My error in reading the question and NTN's error in presenting it are two entirely different things! And quite frankly, had the word "first" been in the question, then the question would have been fair and unambiguous. The first explicit name of a month in Stevie Wonder's song "I Just Called To Say I Love You" is "April."

Remember also, that Playback is a game. No, the Buzztime employees involved should not be proud of creating an error of this magnitude affecting half of the scores of large teams. I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets fired over this, although I personally hope that doesn't happen. But I wouldn't count this as a huge error. A decision by an air traffic controller that causes a fatal crash is a huge error.

Whether or not you play trivia again with or without the "guys you play with" is up to you. As I don't work for NTN, I really couldn't care less. :) I myself have been playing for eleven years, I have seen mistakes throughout those eleven years and continue to play NTN because it is an inexpensive way for me to have fun and to know more about the world around me. But certainly I can understand your indignation over last night's question. But by responding to my prior comment, you are directing that indignation to the wrong place.

Have a happy new year. :)

-- RWM

I responded to your comment only because you were the first one to point out this glaring error. I'm not sure where
I directed any animosity towards you, but none was certainly intended. Any anger I might feel isn't even directed
towards the individual who wrote/coded this question in. The anger (which is considerably less than I was feeling last night) is directed towards an organization that has let it come to this! For all I know (and I don't claim to know NTN's operations intimately), it could be just one or two guys coming up with these questions. He, she, or they could be seriously over-worked and under pressure. This incident just feels like the latest in a long string of decisions/incidents that angers players and stops them from coming back. You can't deny that the audience for NTN games seems to be down across the board. I do like music trivia, and I want to keep enjoying this game, but if even I felt just a little like walking away, well, maybe, maybe some other people feel that way, too. And if enough people feel that way, then there isn't a game to play anymore. That's what pisses me off the most.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

craig921 wrote:
I responded to your comment only because you were the first one to point out this glaring error. I'm not sure where
I directed any animosity towards you, but none was certainly intended. Any anger I might feel isn't even directed
towards the individual who wrote/coded this question in. The anger (which is considerably less than I was feeling last night) is directed towards an organization that has let it come to this! For all I know (and I don't claim to know NTN's operations intimately), it could be just one or two guys coming up with these questions. He, she, or they could be seriously over-worked and under pressure. This incident just feels like the latest in a long string of decisions/incidents that angers players and stops them from coming back. You can't deny that the audience for NTN games seems to be down across the board. I do like music trivia, and I want to keep enjoying this game, but if even I felt just a little like walking away, well, maybe, maybe some other people feel that way, too. And if enough people feel that way, then there isn't a game to play anymore. That's what pisses me off the most.

Upon reading your first post, I really wasn't sure if you were directing animosity toward me. I'm happy you are not. It does seem to me that your first post could have stood by itself without being a response to another poster.

I fully agree with one thing: Buzztime's quality control needs improvement! Every time there is a mistake in one of their questions, there will likely be irate players that will be turned off of the game.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:37 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

craig921 wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

I agree with previous post that it is just a game and yes everyone makes mistakes, but I'm convinced the writer of Playback does this intentionally. The "errors" are always in the last round or final question, and there are always two right answers involved. Funny how the first 40 questions always seem to be okay in the game. Even when the final questions are not in error, they frequently leave a lot to be desired. Multiple choice can be quite the savior, because there are some final questions that I believe less than 1% of the players would know (who doesn't sing April in Paris)..

Let's see, last year three questions jump out at me: Sonny and Cher's 1st Top 20, theme of Jeremy by Pearl Jam, and Leo Sayer song with two correct answers. There was at least one more but I can't remember it..

The final round and its scoring needs to be trashed in a big way...I've seen really good scores on random music topix games on Friday nights, but on Saturday there are weeks when only a few players get 50% of the total available score.. This is my last post on the subject, I give up, someone send me an email if they ever fix it.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, while I rarely drag myself out to bang away at Playback anywhere near as often as before, something tells me that the unwelcome and inexplicable changes to both Playback and Spotlight within the past couple of years or so are due to someone within NTN Buzztime being dissatisfied with the dominance of these games by one specific site. Why that should matter, is beyond me.

The unwelcome changes to Spotlight were somewhat successful as they drove off the previously dominant site, only to see another rise in its place. I can only hope that the same does not happen to Playback, despite the obvious and unfortunate indication. I also hope that NTN Buzztime does not concoct another change or changes to Spotlight to drive off the present dominating site (and that's admittedly said with more than a lil bias).

I see nothing bad and/or wrong with one specific site dominating either these or any other premium games. If the players at those sites are that damn good, then it is what it is. I wonder if NTN Buzztime is listening way too much to less capable players' complaining "...that place is always #1..."

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I hope that TomD can shed some light on what happened here. (and yes it was a HUGE mistake)

Does 1 person write the questions with the correct answer & another person fills in all the wrong answers later during production?

There has to be some better way to vet these questions in advance. (or just drop the final question all together)

Any help TomD??

Ohh and How about those CAPS!!!!! At least one game went well last night. :mrgreen:

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:00 pm 
Nonagenarian

Location: Tavern on Main, El Segundo, CA; also play at Mr.B's, East Side Mario's
I don't necessarily buy into all the conspiracy theories, but I get pretty pissed when I make a special effort to organize my evening and friends around a game on a Saturday night, and there's a mistake in the final question that counts more than any question in the game. Geez, if BT doesn't have the time to double-check all the questions, at least they could give the highest point question in a premium game a second look. And it wasn't like "April" or "June" were that far apart in the lyrics (2 lines) or unintelligible in the song.

I agree that this is really a turnoff and I shouldn't care so much, but it certainly makes me lean more towards playing only on nights when playing is more convenient and I'm not driving 20+ miles to play with a team.

As for site dominance, I personally enjoy when one team/site is more or less dominant in a game; it gives us something to shoot for to win. It was extra special to be part of two Playback wins in 2010 for this reason.

Christina/HEELAX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:06 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Just off the top of my head in the recent past BT has had Victoria, one of the most dominant figures in world history over the last two centuries, dying again 5 years after the first time, has completely misrepresented Supreme Court decisions and has misidentified the inventors of one of the greatest developments in human civilization. Why having two technically correct options for a pop song lyric is worthy of greater angst than far more egregious errors I can only assume is due to it being on a weekend.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:14 am 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:
I hope that TomD can shed some light on what happened here. (and yes it was a HUGE mistake)

Does 1 person write the questions with the correct answer & another person fills in all the wrong answers later during production?

There has to be some better way to vet these questions in advance. (or just drop the final question all together)

Any help TomD??

Ohh and How about those CAPS!!!!! At least one game went well last night. :mrgreen:

I'm afraid I'll have to issue a "no comment" other than to say we deal in thousands and thousands of questions and it's just a matter of time before something gets messed up. I know I've committed quite a few whoppers over the years. My apologies to anybody who got that question wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:13 am 
Moderating Hobbit

TomD wrote:
BUD wrote:

Any help TomD??

I'm afraid I'll have to issue a "no comment" other than to say we deal in thousands and thousands of questions and it's just a matter of time before something gets messed up. I know I've committed quite a few whoppers over the years. My apologies to anybody who got that question wrong.

Now, now. I want to extend my thanks. Had I been playing, the only reason I might have gotten top 20 would have been because the question was wrong. I consider this a benefit. Please continue to mess up the answers in such a way that I will pick the right right one. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next