New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Incorrect Questions Forum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:
spotes wrote:
The 8:45 EST BT game last night asked: "Which of these words does not mean 'remorseful'"?

The correct answer of pestilent is fine, but unfortunately I stumbled upon "attrition" first, which also has nothing to do with remorse, and stopped reading.
Immediately after getting snockered on this question, I could only assume that the writer was going for the word "CON-trition".
Please let this person know the difference and that they owe me 1000 points on the kharmic wheel of life.

Actually, the question read:

THESE WORDS ALL HAVE
SOMETHING TO DO WITH
REPENTANCE EXCEPT:

The five choices were:

REMORSEFUL
PESTILENT
CONTRITE
ATTRITION
PENITENT

The correct answer is pestilent.

As far as the definition of attrition, according to The Free Dictionary, one of the definitions is:

"Repentance for sin motivated by fear of punishment rather than by love of God."

The question looks okay to me. Sorry, no 1,000 points for you. :P

There were only four options. It was in the BT format. "Contrite" had been eliminated.
This is a great example of the power of the internet to spread trouble. Freedictionary.com is outsourced, supposedly, by those hacks over at American Heritage Dictionary who list this "repentance" defintion of attrition. (and it's listed way down at fourth by the way, but more on that later). Meanwhile, my good friends at Merriam-Webster who have been in this biz a paltry 163 years longer than the AHD don't list this definition anywhere in any of the four dictionaries from them that I have in my house. The print dates of these dictionaries range from 1952 to 2007 and no where along the way did they feel it important to mention that attrition has anything to do with repentance. Those bastards...
In an effort to make sure that Webster hasn't been shortchanging me all of these years, I explored the FreeDictionary site you mentioned and typed in "repentance". Having a choice between "attrition" and "contrition", which of those two words do you think was found in the definition on that site? :P
As far as definitions go, I don't mind not knowing the meaning of every word in the English language, but does someone at BT really think that I need to not only know them all, but know them all a minimum four definitions deep? That seems unsporting somehow... :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 am 
Lotsa Posta

spotes wrote:
I don't mind not knowing the meaning of every word in the English language, but does someone at BT really think that I need to not only know them all, but know them all a minimum four definitions deep?
I don't know about BT, but I certainly count on you for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:33 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
Some question in the Warmup Round of Showdown asking about some ailment (I think) effecting some part of the body (I think). Obviously the word should be spelled affected and not effected.

BO

As usual, you are correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

There was a question Tuesday on "The Music Man"; the factoid said something about Robert Preston portraying Professor Henry Hill. IIRC, "Henry" should instead be "Harold".

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:58 pm 
Centenarian

The other day in Buzztime game, question was, Which spinoff TV series ran the longest? Choices of Knots Landing (which ran 14 years) and Jeffersons (ran 11 years). Answer given by Buzztime was Jeffersons. I've submitted this a couple of times before to no avail. If you fix it, please let me know because otherwise if I see the question again, I'm still going with the Jeffersons :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 pm 
Centenarian

liljol wrote:
There was a question Tuesday on "The Music Man"; the factoid said something about Robert Preston portraying Professor Henry Hill. IIRC, "Henry" should instead be "Harold".

You are correct. Henry Hill was a mobster, not a music professor. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:24 pm 
Centenarian

focus wrote:
The other day in Buzztime game, question was, Which spinoff TV series ran the longest? Choices of Knots Landing (which ran 14 years) and Jeffersons (ran 11 years). Answer given by Buzztime was Jeffersons. I've submitted this a couple of times before to no avail. If you fix it, please let me know because otherwise if I see the question again, I'm still going with the Jeffersons :)

You're right. "Knots Landing" has been replaced as a choice by "Joey." The Jeffersons remains as the correct answer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:06 pm 
Centenarian

TomD wrote:
focus wrote:

You're right. "Knots Landing" has been replaced as a choice by "Joey." The Jeffersons remains as the correct answer.

Thanks TomD, you're alright...However if Joey makes a miraculous comeback and outlasts the Jeffersons, you'll be hearing from me in around 10 years or so...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The final question in the 1/21/2011 Spotlight game went something like "Which of these soundtracks has six Doors songs?" The answer was "Forrest Gump".

According to Wikipedia (okay, okay :roll:), the soundtrack included one Doors song ("Break On Through (To The Other Side)"). Following the listing of the two disks, Wikipedia continues (emphasis added):

"Songs in the movie but not on the soundtrack include:"

That listing included four Doors songs ("Soul Kitchen", "Hello, I Love You", "People Are Strange", "Love Her Madly").

Looks like someone in NTN Buzztime Content has a lil explaining to do. :!:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:58 am 
Lotsa Posta

liljol wrote:
The final question in the 1/21/2011 Spotlight game went something like "Which of these soundtracks has six Doors songs?" The answer was "Forrest Gump".

According to Wikipedia (okay, okay :roll:), the soundtrack included one Doors song ("Break On Through (To The Other Side)"). Following the listing of the two disks, Wikipedia continues (emphasis added):

That listing included four Doors songs ("Soul Kitchen", "Hello, I Love You", "People Are Strange", "Love Her Madly").

Yes, they do. That last one was totally screwed up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:

Buzztime is not having a very good month with final questions :roll: I didn't recall there being 6 Doors songs on the soundtrack so I kicked that answer out right away. Since scores were extremely low, I'm guessing a lot of other people did the same.

Buzztime would've been okay here if the category was Movie Songs (and if the question said "songs" instead of "soundtrack"). But one word changed the entire meaning of the category/question.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:52 am 
Centenarian

liljol wrote:

I can understand why you're upset, but the exact wording of the question was:

WHICH MOVIE FEATURES SIX
SONGS FROM THE DOORS?

It doesn't mention soundtrack at all. The sixth Doors song in the movie is supposedly "Peace Frog."

The question seems okay to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:07 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:
liljol wrote:

I can understand why you're upset

Not upset, just kinda sorta asking. ;)

TomD wrote:
, but the exact wording of the question was:

WHICH MOVIE FEATURES SIX
SONGS FROM THE DOORS?

It doesn't mention soundtrack at all.

Okay, thanks for the correction and clarification. :)

TomD wrote:
The sixth Doors song in the movie is supposedly "Peace Frog."

According to this, "Peace Frog" is not found:'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Gu ... ndtrack%29

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:

WHICH MOVIE FEATURES SIX
SONGS FROM THE DOORS?

It doesn't mention soundtrack at all. The sixth Doors song in the movie is supposedly "Peace Frog."

Okay, the actual question was okay then. But the category that popped up before the question said Movie Soundtracks. That was misleading. IMO, it should've just said Movie Songs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hmmm........now it seems LILJOL, GOGETEM and POMAN have some splaining to do. :mrgreen:

How did all 3 of you misread the actual question to think it said soundtrack? The category name was a distraction but "soundtrack" was not in the question.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Hmmm........now it seems LILJOL, GOGETEM and POMAN have some splaining to do. :mrgreen:

How did all 3 of you misread the actual question to think it said soundtrack? The category name was a distraction but "soundtrack" was not in the question.

Simple, it's Psychology 101. The category plants the mindset for the final question. If the category was, say, Director's Cut, the mind is expecting a question about a director. If the question then doesn't deal with a director, the mind has already been programmed to expect a question about a director. In this example, it's very easy for the mind to assume the question said something about a director even if it didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:54 pm 
Centenarian

To wrap this up, "Peace Frog" is supposedly played during a scene in New York with Lieutenant Dan. I say supposedly because I only saw the movie once and can't remember it. I assume someone out there can take the time to watch it and confirm one way or another.

Also, we seem to be fixated on soundtrack as referring to the official album of music from the movie. Several dictionary websites say that it can also refer simply to the music in a movie. Here's what wordiq.com says:

"The term soundtrack is also commonly used to refer to the music used in a movie, and/or to a record album sold containing that music."

Here's the link for the complete definition.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Soundtrack

I stand by my previous comment that the question is okay, assuming "Peace Frog" is in the film.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:

WHICH MOVIE FEATURES SIX
SONGS FROM THE DOORS?

Then why did the "Category" say Movie Soundtracks... This was nothing more than a big fuck you from the BT question writers. There was not one damn person in the country that KNEW this question, that makes it bad. I am willing to bet SKYNET was pushing 60k and took Forrest Gump as a second choice after first was eliminated. We were stuck with APocolypse Now and Forrest Gump, is wipeout order not uniform in this game either?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Speaking for myself, I have no problem with TomD's most recent comments. Obviously I did not remember what the question specifically said.

IMO, though, seems like some of us, when we see or hear "soundtrack", associate that with an issued compilation of music from a film or musical, rather than the entire body of music, and especially if some was not issued. Further, given that the Wikipedia entry for this soundtrack seems to draw a distinct line between songs issued and not issued, perhaps the definition of "soundtrack" as apparently used by NTN Buzztime is open to differing interpretation.

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:12 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

imdb also has no listing of Peace Frog in its Soundtrack listing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109830/soundtrack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:18 pm 
Lotsa Posta

tchoiniere wrote:
imdb also has no listing of Peace Frog in its Soundtrack listing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109830/soundtrack

I will watch it again and see for myself. I don't remember it at all. I would ask Gutz as she's watched the movie more times than I have, but she doesn't know a damn thing about music. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:28 pm 
Nonagenarian

Location: Tavern on Main, El Segundo, CA; also play at Mr.B's, East Side Mario's
lewser wrote:

We were stuck with APocolypse Now and Forrest Gump, is wipeout order not uniform in this game either?

Wow...never realized this. Discussing this just now, my trivia-playing boyfriend, who played at a different site than I did, was left with Big Lebowski and Forrest Gump. I think we were left with Goodfellas and Forrest Gump with our final choices at Tavern on Main...not sure, but I know the Apocalypse Now was definitely eliminated first and we were completely flustered.

Christina/HEELAX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:34 pm 
Gettysburg

I can confirm the only song on the sound track is "Break on Through". IMDB also says at the top, "Please note that songs listed here (and in the movie credits) cannot always be found on CD soundtracks". I believe (but am no expert) that IMDB is usually considered to have all the music in the "movie" listed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:51 pm 
Lotsa Posta

imdb does list "Peace Frog" in the trivia section: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109830/trivia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:43 am 
Lotsa Posta

Akbar71 wrote:
imdb does list "Peace Frog" in the trivia section: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109830/trivia

Confirmed, it was there. DAMN!!! I hate it when Tom D is correct. :o

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28  Next