New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Incorrect Questions Forum
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:10 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Along with the host of errors being discussed in the Showdown forum, Speed had a question about who makes the Juke. Answer was given as Toyota but its a Nissan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:17 pm 
Centenarian

tchoiniere wrote:
Along with the host of errors being discussed in the Showdown forum, Speed had a question about who makes the Juke. Answer was given as Toyota but its a Nissan.

You are correct. Nissan it is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

There was a BT game yesterday with the question: "Which of these sports movies' final game ended with a near grand slam?".
How wonderfully ambiguous...
Since The Natural ended with a three run homer I figured maybe that's what the author was implying by her phrasing.
After looking at #5, "Bad News Bears", I immediately suspected foul play, remembering that Kelly Leak hit a three-run triple and was thrown out at home to end that game.
Given that there's no "near grand slam" scoring in baseball, it falls to the players to determine which of these three run plays the author is referring to.
Granted, TBNB play was the only one that could have potentially resulted in a grand slam. But after all is said and done, it's still only a three run triple. At least Roy put his over the fence, unlike that Punch and Judy hitter Rorschach... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:54 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

spotes wrote:
There was a BT game yesterday with the question: "Which of these sports movies' final game ended with a near grand slam?".
Since The Natural ended with a three run homer I figured maybe that's what the author was implying by her phrasing.
After looking at #5, "Bad News Bears", I immediately suspected foul play, remembering that Kelly Leak hit a three-run triple and was thrown out at home to end that game.
Given that there's no "near grand slam" scoring in baseball, it falls to the players to determine which of these three run plays the author is referring to.
Granted, TBNB play was the only one that could have potentially resulted in a grand slam. But after all is said and done, it's still only a three run triple. At least Roy put his over the fence, unlike that Punch and Judy hitter Rorschach... :mrgreen:

I find if you go to Denny's around 2 in the morning you often get a near grand slam.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:31 pm 
Lotsa Posta

(Comment removed 'cause I was wrong.)

Last edited by Akbar71 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:49 pm 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:

You've got a point. The question's exact wording is:

THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN
THIS BASEBALL MOVIE ENDS
WITH A NEAR GRAND SLAM:

The Natural is now Bang the Drum Slowly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:49 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

TomD wrote:
spotes wrote:

You've got a point. The question's exact wording is:

THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN
THIS BASEBALL MOVIE ENDS
WITH A NEAR GRAND SLAM:

The Natural is now Bang the Drum Slowly.

Good way to fix it. I've had that question before and it was slightly confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:49 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

spotes wrote:
TomD wrote:
spotes wrote:
The 8:45 EST BT game last night asked: "Which of these words does not mean 'remorseful'"?

The correct answer of pestilent is fine, but unfortunately I stumbled upon "attrition" first, which also has nothing to do with remorse, and stopped reading.
Immediately after getting snockered on this question, I could only assume that the writer was going for the word "CON-trition".
Please let this person know the difference and that they owe me 1000 points on the kharmic wheel of life.

Actually, the question read:

THESE WORDS ALL HAVE
SOMETHING TO DO WITH
REPENTANCE EXCEPT:

The five choices were:

REMORSEFUL
PESTILENT
CONTRITE
ATTRITION
PENITENT

The correct answer is pestilent.

As far as the definition of attrition, according to The Free Dictionary, one of the definitions is:

"Repentance for sin motivated by fear of punishment rather than by love of God."

The question looks okay to me. Sorry, no 1,000 points for you. :P

There were only four options. It was in the BT format. "Contrite" had been eliminated.
This is a great example of the power of the internet to spread trouble. Freedictionary.com is outsourced, supposedly, by those hacks over at American Heritage Dictionary who list this "repentance" defintion of attrition. (and it's listed way down at fourth by the way, but more on that later). Meanwhile, my good friends at Merriam-Webster who have been in this biz a paltry 163 years longer than the AHD don't list this definition anywhere in any of the four dictionaries from them that I have in my house. The print dates of these dictionaries range from 1952 to 2007 and no where along the way did they feel it important to mention that attrition has anything to do with repentance. Those bastards...
In an effort to make sure that Webster hasn't been shortchanging me all of these years, I explored the FreeDictionary site you mentioned and typed in "repentance". Having a choice between "attrition" and "contrition", which of those two words do you think was found in the definition on that site? :P
As far as definitions go, I don't mind not knowing the meaning of every word in the English language, but does someone at BT really think that I need to not only know them all, but know them all a minimum four definitions deep? That seems unsporting somehow... :cry:

Hello Spotes,
Sorry, I'm late reading this, but I do not see any follow-up, so thought that you might be interested to note that, although 'attrition' is not used as much these days in this context, theologically it is the type of repentance resulting from one being worn down by the fear of Hell (or, as Tom has it, of punishment), in contrast with contrition, which is repentance resulting from love of God. I don't know why your Webster would not have it, but he was not big on repentance; just look at his dishonourable sins against his neighbours in mis-spelling words such as favour, valour, grey, and centre.

Cheers,

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:15 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Falcon wrote:

Hello Spotes,
Sorry, I'm late reading this, but I do not see any follow-up, so thought that you might be interested to note that, although 'attrition' is not used as much these days in this context, theologically it is the type of repentance resulting from one being worn down by the fear of Hell (or, as Tom has it, of punishment), in contrast with contrition, which is repentance resulting from love of God. I don't know why your Webster would not have it, but he was not big on repentance; just look at his dishonourable sins against his neighbours in mis-spelling words such as favour, valour, grey, and centre.

Cheers,

I like Canadians. Their words look funny. :mrgreen:
It's all good, Falc. TomD already cleared it up.
The post that you referenced was my response to TomD's earlier clarification.
Just think of it as a bonus rant. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:07 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

quote="blumax"]Having been to all the main islands (except Lanai) and visited BOTH the bona fide National Parks in Hawaii as well as several NHP/NHS's, I was incensed at the 2nd Category National Parks question: "How many National Parks are in the state of Hawaii?". NTN totally FUBAR'd that question, claiming there are EIGHT National Parks. Several googled sites appear to confirm this, including http://www.gotohawaii.com and usparks.about.com. Note that these are commercial tourist websites and not U.S. Department of Interior sites. The National Park Service website http://www.nps,gov adds confusion, stating 7 'national parks', but listing 8 locations. 'National Park' is a very specific term, designated by Congress. National Monuments, National Memorials, National Battlefields, National Historic Sites, et al are NOT National Parks. The two 'real' National Parks are:

Hawaii Volcanoes NP, Hawaii, HI
Haleakela NP, Maui, HI

The other 'parks' listed include:
Pu`uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park, Hawaii, HI
Puukohola Heiau National Historic Site, Hawaii, HI
Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park, Hawaii, HI
Kalaupapa National Historic Site, Molokai, HI (NHPark per NPS)
Ala Kahakai National Historic Trail, Hawaii, HI
World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument. Oahu. HI (Was USS Arizona National Memorial)

'gotohawaii' adds Waimea Canyon STATE Park to make eight.

The answer is TWO!!!

B (bummed out)[/quote]

Let's try posting this here to see if it gets an apology, or at least a response. It was an incredibly bad mistake in the most important game (Showdown), and caused losses and anger all over North America for people who value National Parks.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:50 pm 
Centenarian

You guys are right. We definitely messed up the Hawaiian National Parks questions. My apologies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:
You guys are right. We definitely messed up the Hawaiian National Parks questions. My apologies.

Thanks, Tom, for checking in here and confirming corrections.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:

As the only representative from BT that actually takes the time and effort to work with players to make the game a better one, you don't need to apologize for squadoosh as far as I'm concerned; especially someone else's mistake.
Although I do think you're still wrong about the Philadelphia Blue Jays... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:44 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Last night during Spotlight in the Years Round, the question in what year did Andre the Giant die, Top song was I will always love you.

The answer was 1993, but the song was from 1992.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:08 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
Last night during Spotlight in the Years Round, the question in what year did Andre the Giant die, Top song was I will always love you.

It's sneaky wording, but that's actually correct. The key words are Top Song. "I Will Always Love You" spent more calendar weeks at #1 in 1993 than 1992.

In fact, Billboard's chart year always starts in December. For example, Billboard's 1993 chart year probably encompassed the chart weeks of December 5, 1992 - November 27, 1993. That means that "I Will Always Love You" would've spent 13 of its 14 weeks at #1 during Billboard's 1993 chart year....which would make it Billboard's Top Song of 1993.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:23 am 
Himself Fodder

poman wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:

It's sneaky wording, but that's actually correct. The key words are Top Song. "I Will Always Love You" spent more calendar weeks at #1 in 1993 than 1992.

In fact, Billboard's chart year always starts in December. For example, Billboard's 1993 chart year probably encompassed the chart weeks of December 5, 1992 - November 27, 1993. That means that "I Will Always Love You" would've spent 13 of its 14 weeks at #1 during Billboard's 1993 chart year....which would make it Billboard's Top Song of 1993.

Over the last 15 years I've seen "I Will Always Love You" both as 1992 and 1993 depending on the wording of the clue. I've never really liked the clue "Famous Song" because it's not precise enough. Same goes with "Famous Movie", I've seen "Famous Movie - Rain Man" and the clue wanted 1989 which really sucks when it's the 1988 Academy Award winner.

BO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, the question from me would be: What was the first clue? If it was Andre the Giant dies, who cares about the rest of the clues..

What always pisses me off is the first clue: Like a Virgin #1 song, BT has never fixed that it should be 1984, December 22nd to be exact. Sure it was number 1 for many weeks in 1985, but it says #1.

Last edited by lewser on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:26 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

lewser wrote:
Well, the question from me would be: What was the first clue? If it was Andre the Giant dies, who cares about the rest of the clues..

What always pisses me off is the first clue: Like a Virgin #1 song, BT has never fixed that it should be 1984, December 22nd to be exact. Sure it was number 1 for many weeks in 1984, but it says #1.

It was Andre's death. Which is why I didn't change off of it, but everybody else did.

I do agree the wording needs to change to make it clear what they are looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Just finished the 7:00 pm EDT Countdown. One of the questions was about the seven hills of Rome (the answer.) The final comment said that Rome was founded by Romulus - in 378 BC! That is way off! Rome was founded in 753 BC.

-- RWM

[Edited to remove typos.]

Last edited by zog741 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:26 pm 
Centenarian

zog741 wrote:
Just finished the 7:00 pm EST Countdown. One of the questions was about the seven hills of Rome (the nswer.) The final comment said that Rome was foinded by Romulus - in 378 BC! That is way off! Rome was founded in 753 BC.

-- RWM

You're right! It has been changed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:34 am 
King or Queen Postalot

Last night's Six game had a bad Sciences matching question; the one matching metals with a typical use. What came up was cobalt to magnets and nickel to superalloys, but I feel these two should have been the opposite, if anything (Ni-Cad rechargeables have been around for decades), but better to NOT have had one or both in the question, because each metal is widely used in both of the given applications

(I know, I know, I'm quoting Wikipedia here . . .)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel#Applications
Quote:
Nickel is used in many industrial and consumer products, including stainless steel, magnets, coinage, rechargeable batteries, electric guitar strings, microphone capsules, and special alloys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt#Alloys
Quote:
Cobalt-based superalloys consume most of the produced cobalt.[31][32] The temperature stability of these alloys makes them suitable for use in turbine blades for gas turbines and jet aircraft engines, though nickel-based single crystal alloys surpass them in this regard.[41]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt#Batteries
Quote:
. . . Nickel-cadmium [47] (NiCd) and nickel metal hydride[48] (NiMH) batteries also contain significant amounts of cobalt, the cobalt improves the oxidation capabilities of nickel in the battery.

Just a bad question, because the case can be made either way as to which metal matches to which quality

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:01 am 
Centenarian

pengwn wrote:

Just a bad question, because the case can be made either way as to which metal matches to which quality

Agreed. Definitely confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:48 am 
Between Normal Sigmas. %!

There was an error in tonight's SIX game in the matching round. The question was: "Match the TV family with its hometown".
The match for "Mayberry" was "Griffith" - should be "Taylor".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andy_Griffith_Show

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:44 am 
Centenarian

QBB wrote:
There was an error in tonight's SIX game in the matching round. The question was: "Match the TV family with its hometown".
The match for "Mayberry" was "Griffith" - should be "Taylor".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andy_Griffith_Show

You are right! Thanks for catching that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:59 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Credit to Spiega for catching these.

"This game included two of the bigger mistakes I have seen from Buzztime in quite some time. Here are the issues:

Jeff Ament and Stone Goddard of Nirvana..........forget the rest of the question, because it DOESN'T MATTER! The answer was Temple of the Dog, a band comprised of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden members. Nirvana had NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH IT! Besides...Ament and Goddard were never close to being in Nirvana.

Other huge mistake:

This was the last video released by Nirvana before Cobain's death.

Buzztime's Answer: Heart Shaped Box

Real Answer: All Apologies - Although it was an Unplugged video, it was still a video. I remember VIVIDLY Kurt Loder discussing the irony of the All Apologies video being a hit as Cobain committed suicide.

FAIL!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next