New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Incorrect Questions Forum
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Question 2 of today's 2:30 pacific Countdown asked about which jazz trumpeter made a name for himself in Benny Goodman's swing bands before going on to their own fame.

Answer given was Bunny Berigan, wich is correct.

The problem is that Harry James was among the other four choices. He also gained his initial fame playing trumpet
with Benny Goodman... Alongside Berigan, as a matter of fact.

Gotta remove one or the other from this question...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:09 pm 

We have replaced Harry James with another musician :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:58 pm 
Lotsa Posta

SIX, Wed., October 28; Matching Round, Geography:

Match the region of Antarctica to a compass point.

What the hell does this question even mean? North. The answer is north. Everything in Antarctica is north, relative to the South Pole. What is "East?" What is "West?" East or west of what?

This question is an embarrassment. Or should be.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:

What the hell does this question even mean? North. The answer is north. Everything in Antarctica is north, relative to the South Pole. What is "East?" What is "West?" East or west of what?

Missed the question as I took the night off from playing trivia. But I am curious about the Antarctic regions that were listed.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:15 pm 
Himself Fodder

Akbar71 wrote:

Well, there are appropriate answers. Various regions of Antarctica are referred to by compass points. Look it up and you'll see.

Now, whether or not that's a good/fair question is a different discussion. No doubt a difficult question.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:44 pm 
Lotsa Posta

-BO- wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:

Well, there are appropriate answers. Various regions of Antarctica are referred to by compass points. Look it up and you'll see.

Now, whether or not that's a good/fair question is a different discussion. No doubt a difficult question.

I'll give you that the itty-bitty bit of Antarctica on the Americas-side of the mountains is, by convention, called "West Antarctica," but that's not a "compass point," as the question asked. And what about "North" and "South." I continue to cry foul.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:27 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

There was a beauty in the Full "Moon" Topix game last night.

We were asked to finish the nickname of the Who's drummer, Keith Moon. We were given "Moon the _______" and had to fill in the blank with one of Tune, Baboon, Spoon, Loon, or something else that rhymed with them. The three clues presented during the countdown were something like:

Not fleet of foot
Don't join a cult
Who goes there?

Not very helpful, are they?

Obviously, the question was hastily rewritten from the original "What band did Keith Moon play drums for?" and somebody forgot to change the clues accordingly. I guess he never had gigs with Fleetwood Mac or Blue Öyster Cult.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:22 pm 

So sorry about the clues, they have been changed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:16 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. IIRC during the last Countdown game before BrainBuster, there were two straight questions that contained what (at least to this lil old grumpy bastard) were more or less the same grievous bungle in their factoids. :roll:

Both questions' factoids mentioned that The Big Dipper in the night sky was a constellation, which it is NOT! :evil: Instead, it is part of the constellation Ursa Major (Great Bear). :evil:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Q9 of the 4:30 PM Pacific Countdown game may well have caused more than a lil consternation amongst more than a few players. :(

IIRC the question asked who played the father in "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" (BILL BIXBY). Unfortunately, Bill Cosby was also a choice :( , and the first clue was "DON'T PAY THE BILL", whilst the third clue was "PAY THE BILL". :roll:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:19 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

There was a question in tonight's Showdown game that really irked me. It asked where the Beatles' last "public concert" was held and mentioned a date on Jan. 30, 1969 and maintained that the answer was London. Our team had gone with San Francisco. I realize now that this is an incorrect answer because it doesn't match the 1969 date, but.......

This question is partially correct, but also partially wrong. The Beatles' unannounced appearance on that apartment rooftop in London was indeed on January 30, 1969, but it was NOT a "public concert". No tickets were sold. Nobody knew that it was going to occur. This was a jam seesion that just happened to be audible to those on the streets below.

Candlestick Park in 1966 is the correct answer to any question regarding a final "public concert" by the Fab Four.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rackme32 wrote:
There was a question in tonight's Showdown game that really irked me. It asked where the Beatles' last "public concert" was held and mentioned a date on Jan. 30, 1969 and maintained that the answer was London. Our team had gone with San Francisco. I realize now that this is an incorrect answer because it doesn't match the 1969 date, but.......

This question is partially correct, but also partially wrong. The Beatles' unannounced appearance on that apartment rooftop in London was indeed on January 30, 1969, but it was NOT a "public concert". No tickets were sold. Nobody knew that it was going to occur. This was a jam seesion that just happened to be audible to those on the streets below.

Candlestick Park in 1966 is the correct answer to any question regarding a final "public concert" by the Fab Four.

We got to the desired answer because of the date, but also questioned the wording. "Public performance" would have been a better way to put it. It may not have been announced, but it was indeed a performance in public.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:13 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Question in tonight's Glory Days game asked "Who said, 'I'm not going to be the first American president to lose a war." Buzztime's answer was Nixon. Actual answer should have been Lyndon Johnson. Nixon and Kissinger actually negotiated the loss of Vietnam.
XTrain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

In the March 22, 2016 Showdown game, one of the questions asked something like, "Which Pope has both a calendar and a style of ritual singing named after him?" The answer given was "Gregory I." While Gregorian Chants are indeed named after Gregory I, the calendar is named after Gregory XIII, who lived about 1,000 years later.

If you want to fix it, I suppose you could ask something like "Both a calendar and a style of ritual singing are named after Popes named _____," but I'm not sure whether it is worth saving.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

In the April 5 Showdown game, the first question was something like "This imaginary country is a byword for something far off and unattainable." The desired answer was "Ultima Thule."

The problem is that one of the other possible answers, "Shangri-La," also fits this description, and in some ways maybe even better than the desired answer. If this question stays in the data base, either "Shangri-La" or "Ultima Thule" can be given as possible answers, but not both.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:29 pm 
Colt

On Saturday afternoon 4/9, there was a question asking what part of a plant forms a tuber. This is Botany 101 stuff. Strictly applied, a tuber refers to an enlarged stem, but sometimes people also refer to tuberous roots. So either of those could work, but both "root" and "stem" were among the choices. Naturally, I picked "stem" because (1) it's the better choice; and (2) I figured BT was thinking of potatoes, and potatoes are stem tubers. Of course, the "right" answer was given as "root," and to twist things up, the factoid gave "potato" as an example! Attention BT: potato ≠ root!

To add insult to injury, the other four players all picked "root," so BOTNST was the only one to get the question "wrong." :( (None of those other players felt any sympathy for me, however.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:40 am 
Centenarian

Botanist wrote:
On Saturday afternoon 4/9, there was a question asking what part of a plant forms a tuber. This is Botany 101 stuff. Strictly applied, a tuber refers to an enlarged stem, but sometimes people also refer to tuberous roots. So either of those could work, but both "root" and "stem" were among the choices. Naturally, I picked "stem" because (1) it's the better choice; and (2) I figured BT was thinking of potatoes, and potatoes are stem tubers. Of course, the "right" answer was given as "root," and to twist things up, the factoid gave "potato" as an example! Attention BT: potato ≠ root!

To add insult to injury, the other four players all picked "root," so BOTNST was the only one to get the question "wrong." :( (None of those other players felt any sympathy for me, however.)

Hey Robie, nice post.

RAY J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:10 pm 
New Driver

Thanks for posting these errors when you see them everyone. The internal content team checks this board on a regular basis. Mistakes happen from time to time so I appreciate your patience while we work on resolving known issues. In the meantime, if you see an error that has been not resolved continue to post it. We will fix is as soon as we see the call out.

Thanks for playing our games and have fun!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:27 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Thanks for the 5/20 Spotlight Think Again round question in which we had to identify the Jessica Chastain film and both The Martian and Interstellar were offered as answers.

Would have been more upsetting if any of us knew squat about the newest muppet show.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:50 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Tonight's Showdown final question was wrong in many ways... The length of time it takes for "a frog" to metamorphize from a tadpole to adult frog is... 24 hours?????

It varies widely from one species of frog to another... And after I checked several websites, I see no evidence that ANY of them metamorphize that suddenly. Takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on species.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. After seeing the brutal carnage created by that question, this lil old grump had to check out what could be found in Wikipedia on that. Unfortunately, there appears to be confirmation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog#Metamorphosis

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:50 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Hmm... Dunno why I couldn't find that last night...

Interesting that only one location scored over 40k on the game last night (57k!)

And that location has only topped 40k two or three other times in the last six months. Props to them, unless they borg'd last night...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:17 pm 
Himself Fodder

Rackme32 wrote:
Hmm... Dunno why I couldn't find that last night...

Interesting that only one location scored over 40k on the game last night (57k!)

And that location has only topped 40k two or three other times in the last six months. Props to them, unless they borg'd last night...

LOL at thinking that is a legitimate score. Those guys suck, just look at their BB scores in addition to CD. I've thought they have been using slow cell phones to borg, but I'd bet last night was the cell phone gambit.

They play just up the road from Stadium, would be fun to venture up and take a gander.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:59 pm 
Nonagenarian

For me, the worst thing about the 5/31/16 Final Showdown question was the note that followed it, which said that the transition can take "as short as one week" or "as long as one year." Buzztime's own research, then, both eliminated "24 Hours" as the correct answer, and it showed that EVERY OTHER CHOICE in that answer was correct. Did any human actually review and approve the use of that question?

At our site, where everyone went with an answer other than "24 hours" because it seemed the most ridiculous of many poor choices, a fifteen-year-old girl defeated eight adults (and her ten-year-old brother, who also has a career Showdown victory) because she only bet 10%. A deserving win, as she was the only one of us to choose the correct strategy for this question.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:53 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

One of our players did the 10% thing, too... And won. And she's *slightly* older than 15... Okay, she's the bar owner's mom...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next