New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Canada Eh?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:11 am 
Legal Member

I don't think Canada Eh? is playable in the US, but it is a 1hr 30 question countdown game. The problem I have with it is occasionally the last clues are wrong.

For example, yesterday the question was something like "What is the relationship between race car drivers Jacques Villeneuve and Gilles Villeneuve?". The possible answers were son, nephew, none and 2 others I don't recall. We picked son (the right answer). When the final clue came up, it pointed to nephew so I changed me answer. Nope, son was right.

This has happened several times over the last month, but it is the only one I can recall right now. If anyone from buzztime can post the exact wording of the final clue I would appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: Canada Eh?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:50 am 
Centenarian

megaln wrote:
I don't think Canada Eh? is playable in the US, but it is a 1hr 30 question countdown game. The problem I have with it is occasionally the last clues are wrong.

For example, yesterday the question was something like "What is the relationship between race car drivers Jacques Villeneuve and Gilles Villeneuve?". The possible answers were son, nephew, none and 2 others I don't recall. We picked son (the right answer). When the final clue came up, it pointed to nephew so I changed me answer. Nope, son was right.

This has happened several times over the last month, but it is the only one I can recall right now. If anyone from buzztime can post the exact wording of the final clue I would appreciate it.

The last clue was "bequeath it to a nephew" which obviously isn't good. Sorry about that. :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:05 am 
Legal Member

Ok thanks. In the past, on occasion, the 3rd clue would eliminate an answer rather than point to the corrrect one. I was getting thrown off by that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:22 am 
Centenarian

megaln wrote:
Ok thanks. In the past, on occasion, the 3rd clue would eliminate an answer rather than point to the corrrect one. I was getting thrown off by that.

For whatever reason, the clues in the games strictly for Canada are a lot tougher than the ones in the U.S. Often players will think there was an incorrect clue when in fact it was just a "negative clue" eliminating an answer.

Post subject: Re: Canada Eh? July 13
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

As usual, a good, fairly tough game, but the % sports and other pop culture questions is getting excessive. If this is not available as an option in the US, it would be worthwhile to make it one; it's certainly preferable to four of those cursed 15-minute games.

A few errors or at least questionale answers in this game. -
1) Calgary is known as (Nashville) of the North. I suppose it may occasionally get called this, although it is certainly not known much outside Alberta for producing music, country or otherwise. It is known sometimes as 'Houston' of the North because it is a centre of the oil industry in Canada (not among the answers) or as 'Dallas of the North' because of the wealth based on oil and cattle there (that was among the possible answers). I'd love to know what the Calgary players picked for that one.

2) Factoid after the Alsek River question - (roughly) 'Other whitewater rivers in Kluane National Park are the Firth and the Tatshenshini'. While the Tatshenshini is close - it joins the Alsek well south of the Park, in BC, the Firth is a long, long, way from there, in the Northern Yukon, in Ivvavik National Park.

3) Another one that was misleading, although perhaps not an error - "The oldest ( ) in Canada is found in Winnipeg. I cannot remember all the possible answers, but they appeared to be all buildings - something like theatre, stadium, restaurant, school, etc. Having lived in Winnipeg for many years I was puzzled by this, as none of those structures is that old there. The answer was 'Theatre', and the factoid correctly stated that the Cercle Molière is Canada's oldest theatre. The problem is that the Cercle Molière is a theatre company, not a building, founded in Saint-Boniface long before it became part of Winnipeg, and has not had a structure to consider a permanent theatre until the relatively recent construction of the Centre culturel franco-manitobain (CCFM). I'm just grumbling because I didn't think of it that way!

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

Post subject: Re: Canada Eh? July 13
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:26 pm 
Centenarian

Falcon wrote:
As usual, a good, fairly tough game, but the % sports and other pop culture questions is getting excessive. If this is not available as an option in the US, it would be worthwhile to make it one; it's certainly preferable to four of those cursed 15-minute games.

A few errors or at least questionale answers in this game. -
1) Calgary is known as (Nashville) of the North. I suppose it may occasionally get called this, although it is certainly not known much outside Alberta for producing music, country or otherwise. It is known sometimes as 'Houston' of the North because it is a centre of the oil industry in Canada (not among the answers) or as 'Dallas of the North' because of the wealth based on oil and cattle there (that was among the possible answers). I'd love to know what the Calgary players picked for that one.

2) Factoid after the Alsek River question - (roughly) 'Other whitewater rivers in Kluane National Park are the Firth and the Tatshenshini'. While the Tatshenshini is close - it joins the Alsek well south of the Park, in BC, the Firth is a long, long, way from there, in the Northern Yukon, in Ivvavik National Park.

3) Another one that was misleading, although perhaps not an error - "The oldest ( ) in Canada is found in Winnipeg. I cannot remember all the possible answers, but they appeared to be all buildings - something like theatre, stadium, restaurant, school, etc. Having lived in Winnipeg for many years I was puzzled by this, as none of those structures is that old there. The answer was 'Theatre', and the factoid correctly stated that the Cercle Molière is Canada's oldest theatre. The problem is that the Cercle Molière is a theatre company, not a building, founded in Saint-Boniface long before it became part of Winnipeg, and has not had a structure to consider a permanent theatre until the relatively recent construction of the Centre culturel franco-manitobain (CCFM). I'm just grumbling because I didn't think of it that way!

It looks like you're right on all of these. I will pass them along to the game's editor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:19 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

I say the "Nashville of the North" question is valid. Having lived here all my life, I've heard that nickname fairly often (not nearly as much as Cowtown), but have never heard Calgary referred to as "[any Texas city] of the North"

When it comes to country music in Canada, Calgary is one of the principal centres, largely thanks to all the area farms and ranches, plus the Stampede. In fact, the tent at the Stampede devoted to country music performances is called "Nashville North"

Post subject: Re: Canada Eh? 18 Oct.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:48 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

One of the questions on this Tuesday's game was something like 'Which of the following is not a kind of person?' The correct reply was wampum, but another choice was pow-wow, about equally good.

Way too many tv & movie questions!

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Falcon wrote:
One of the questions on this Tuesday's game was something like 'Which of the following is not a kind of person?' The correct reply was wampum, but another choice was pow-wow, about equally good.

Are you sure this was Canada, Eh? Because I definitely saw this question, with the same stated choices. I'm not sure what game I was playing when I saw this.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm 
Centenarian

Falcon wrote:

This question was in Brainbuster. I proofread it twice, each time looking at the other choices, saying to myself - sachem, person - papoose, person - squaw, person, - powwow, people. Okay, that's good. It just didn't register that the question only asked for "a type of person" instead of a group. Totally my fault. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:16 pm 
Special

pengwn wrote:
I say the "Nashville of the North" question is valid....

When it comes to country music in Canada, Calgary is one of the principal centres, largely thanks to all the area farms and ranches, plus the Stampede. In fact, the tent at the Stampede devoted to country music performances is called "Nashville North"
Must agree with pengwn here--Calgary is well known as "Nashville of the North," at least, out here in western Canada.

Tom, if you're open to a little friendly criticism of the game, I'd suggest changing it from a "strictly Countdown" game to something more like Showdown or Six. As it is, it seems long and often boring--breaks between rounds go on forever, and after the break, it's just more Countdown. Different rounds, such as matching as in Six; or Pyramid, as in Showdown, would go a long way towards keeping our Showdown team interested in sticking around to play Canada Eh.

Just a suggestion, anyway. I like the game, but think a little variety in the rounds might attract more interest.