New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BFREE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:31 pm 
Lucky Member (China)

Many years before the internet or NTN trivia I was working in the aerospace industry. The company I worked for made your login name for their computer systems from the first letter of your first name and the first four letters of your last name (with certain exceptions, for example, O. Shitari had to be modified slightly.) My first name is Bob and my last name starts with "Free", hence I was dubbed BFREE. People at work sometimes ended up calling others by their login handle, especially if it was catchy. Even friends and family members knew my work nickname and used it. So naturally, when presented with the task of entering an identifyable handle of 6 characters or less I for once didn't sit there drawing a blank.

Post subject: Re: BFREE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:13 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

bfree wrote:
Many years before the internet or NTN trivia I was working in the aerospace industry. The company I worked for made your login name for their computer systems from the first letter of your first name and the first four letters of your last name (with certain exceptions, for example, O. Shitari had to be modified slightly.) My first name is Bob and my last name starts with "Free", hence I was dubbed BFREE. People at work sometimes ended up calling others by their login handle, especially if it was catchy. Even friends and family members knew my work nickname and used it. So naturally, when presented with the task of entering an identifyable handle of 6 characters or less I for once didn't sit there drawing a blank.

Mr. R. Ofl and Mr. L. Ol especially appreciated your O. Shitari example :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

bfree wrote:

We did the same thing at the company I worked for. We did the first letter of first name and first 3 letters of your last name plus the department number. The only login we had to change was for an older woman who came up as IFUC69. I am not joking.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:16 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

bfree wrote:

Our first email was Lotus Notes.

If you typed the first letter of a name, and the next 3 of a last name, it would select a match for you. I'm Scott Carpenter, and people started calling me Scar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:43 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

FrankC wrote:
We did the same thing at the company I worked for. We did the first letter of first name and first 3 letters of your last name plus the department number. The only login we had to change was for an older woman who came up as IFUC69. I am not joking.

Man. That's incredible. That takes the cake over two or three stupid things I've seen like that. I think I'm going to have to appropriate your story for myself in the future :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
FrankC wrote:

Man. That's incredible. That takes the cake over two or three stupid things I've seen like that. I think I'm going to have to appropriate your story for myself in the future :)

The story is yours. Fortunately we reviewed all the logins before they were assigned. I do not remember why we were limited to 6 characters, but this was the very early days of Email on LANS and WANS. It was probably a limitation on the first Email software we bought.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank