New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Roller Derby
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:37 am 
U > 100 * 2

You guys are good with names. *If* I make the team, what should my name be?

Sharon

Post subject: Re: Roller Derby
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:48 am 
Lotsa Posta

Tipsy Gypsy?
Rollin' Romani?
Gitana Loca?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:48 am 
Lotsa Posta

Sharon the Barbarian.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:53 am 
Centenarian

Share Bear seems like it may be appropriate.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:15 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Bugg wrote:

Bugg, you may be surprised how many people attempt to call me this. I only let one guy get away with it. He was the union chairman, but just a big, cuddly, type of a guy, and I couldn’t get mad at him no matter what he did. So I let him slide.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:22 pm 
U > 100 * 2

When I went as a roller derby girl for Halloween my name was “Sharon Pain.” Apparently that one and “Gypsy” are taken. My middle is “Denise.” This may be the only time in my life that it may benefit me to have a verb for a first name and an indefinite article for a middle initial.

Or what about Sharon D. Struction?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:27 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Akbar71 wrote:
Tipsy Gypsy?
Rollin' Romani?
Gitana Loca?

I kinda dig Gitana Loca. But it would work better if I were not a pasty white chick.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Gypsy wrote:
Bugg wrote:

Bugg, you may be surprised how many people attempt to call me this. I only let one guy get away with it. He was the union chairman, but just a big, cuddly, type of a guy, and I couldn’t get mad at him no matter what he did. So I let him slide.

BUGG has the upside of this argument.

As a woman who voted for Donald Trump, and who enjoys unlimited faith in social media, would GYPSY be angry with me if I observed that this thread, which she initiated, doesn't expand on her expertise, but merely on her ambition?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:18 pm 
Centenarian

Another suggestion.It is not quite Denise, but what about Sharon's Denizen.You have the purple hair and perhaps personality traits of the Share Bear.It depends what you want the name to represent.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:42 am 
U > 100 * 2

GONE D wrote:
Gypsy wrote:
Bugg wrote:

BUGG has the upside of this argument.

As a woman who voted for Donald Trump, and who enjoys unlimited faith in social media, would GYPSY be angry with me if I observed that this thread, which she initiated, doesn't expand on her expertise, but merely on her ambition?

Um ... first of all, I have no idea how this turned political. Second of all, I never claimed to be an “expert.” But I bought the high-end skates and all the gear and I’m going to give it a go. I don’t know why you would assume that I *wouldn’t* make the team. But if I don’t, that’s OK. At least I tried.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:45 am 
U > 100 * 2

Bugg wrote:
Another suggestion.It is not quite Denise, but what about Sharon's Denizen.You have the purple hair and perhaps personality traits of the Share Bear.It depends what you want the name to represent.

BUGG, perhaps. I’ll consider it. Right now the top contender in my mind is “Gypsy Rogue.”

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 am 
Centenarian

Yes, you must go with what most appeals to you.Thankyou , however for asking us to help you.And of course one can always change their name or have multiple accounts.I have seen over the years people changing their names.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:17 am 
Centenarian

Dipso Gypsy
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:56 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Gypsy wrote:
I never claimed to be an “expert.” But I bought the high-end skates and all the gear and I’m going to give it a go.

Congratulations on your 40th birthday.

Let's face it, GYPSY. You're adorable. But you're not so adorable that you can buy high-end equipment for a sport in which you've never competed, at an advanced age, and without practice or coaching drop the question into New Scaratings, regarding the name by which you shall become famous. And then complain to BUGG, on your invitation to suggest a moniker which you have done nothing to earn, that his suggestion (Share Bear), which was not inappropriate, indeed flattering, didn't flatter you enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:39 pm 
U > 100 * 2

It’s not high-end quipment for roller derby. It’s beginner-level equipment which is on the high-end for skates. I’m not at an “advanced age” for roller derby. Many women my age do it. The boot camps make it clear that no previous experience is necessary. I do have coaching lined up. You’re supposed to choose a name. It has nothing to do with “earning it.”

With all due respect, GONE D, I don’t think you understand the culture of modern roller derby. While I have never participated, I have several friends who do. They have no reservations about me trying it, and are actively encouraging me to do so. I don’t know what you found so offensive about my post.

Trivia players have creative handles. I figured this was the right group of people to help me choose my name.

That is all.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 pm 
Lotsa Posta

After GYPSY was done boxing my ears, she doused me with gasoline and set me on fire. Then she sat down to remonstrate with me for being such an ignoramus. Of course I was a bit agitated, and didn't catch every word, but what follows is the gist of her remarks.

The sport of roller derby basically died out in the 1980's, and was revived in the early aughts. It has burgeoned rapidly, even into places you might not expect. There are now more than 1,200 amateur leagues worldwide. The sport is played in most of western Europe, Israel, Egypt, Colombia, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) issued a formal set of rules for roller derby, which was first used in the 2017 International Roller Games Tournament in Nanjing, China.

In the United States, the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) has 423 full member leagues. Most, if not all, are amateur. Apart from skating, most are invested in local charities. There is also a socio-political element to this sport, as it spoofs gender identity and among Egyptian clerics is regarded as mildly subversive.

There are a number of different levels of competition. Everyone is welcome. Nearly every league has participants far older than GYPSY. One ongoing participant located on a chat page started at the age of 65. There are also men's leagues, youth leagues, mixed leagues. Of course she went on a little longer than this, but in the meanwhile I'd extinguished myself, and I'm happy to report that the bandages can come off in a matter of mere weeks.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:19 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Darn it. Trixie Blaze is already taken.

There are a lot of plays on "Violent," but not "Violent Purple."

Whiskey Gypsy, Tripsee Gypsey, Tipsy Gypsy, all taken. Die Sharona, Sharon Pain, Sharon Shots, all taken. As are Zach Gilifismackus, Vladimir Naboobkov, Wolf BlitzHER, Whistler Smother, Susan B. Agony, Sigourney Reaper, Dora the Destroyer, and June Carter Crash.

The automatic roller derby name generators gave me some . . . strange . . . results. When I typed in my full name I got:

Araminta Trepanner
Basher VaudeVillian
Madamecrazy