New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: On Life Support: Sooner Legends (Norman OK)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:00 am 
Colt

They still have it hooked up for the moment. What's not clear is who's going to play it.

Norman has never (in my 20+ years playing Buzztime) had a big team at any of its various wandering sites except on Tuesday nights for Showdown and Glory Daze, and Sooner Legends has been no exception. The new owners overrode their manager and decided to add open-mic comedy night on Tuesday nights at 7:30--exactly the same time Showdown starts. After a few fruitless weeks of trying to play over the noise, the team voted to head across town to the Buffalo Wild Wings off Classen Road.

They made it clear they don't blame the manager, who tried to tell the owners to pick a different night or push it back later in the evening. They've also said they'll be back if and when the comedy night disappears, as almost everyone on their team prefers Sooner Legends to the BWW.

Post subject: Re: On Life Support: Sooner Legends (Norman OK)
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:47 pm 
Lotsa Posta

In Minnesota, Tuesday night is a favored date for non-profit groups and start-ups to hold committee meetings. The Tailgate, a silly place, hosts a karaoke contest at 9 PM every Tuesday. I've been led to believe that the flutiest of our sopranos has a deep register as well.

Without regard for Scott Pruitt, whose name I refuse to mention, the simultaneous presentation of fact and comedy in Norman OK seems like nothing more or less than business as usual. XTRAIN has some similar issues, with live trivia. And you guys, EXTRAIN and ERICKB, aren't whining. You have legitimate complaints.

Here's the message I'm sending (granting that I don't have any right justification):

Sooner Legends
1200 24 Ave SW
Norman OK 73072

Yours is one of the most famous saloons in the United States, owing to the intelligence of your clientele...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:08 am 
Lotsa Posta

I boiled it down to a postcard message:

"Sooner Legends enjoys a national reputation owing to the excellence of the Buzztime Trivia players you host.
Please preserve your status as a destination by retaining Buzztime as an entertainment option."

Postcards are now 35 cents to mail. Sooner's is getting a an autumn picture with the caption, Les Ardennes.

Too often we don't hear about potential closings until the plug has been pulled.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:21 am 
Lotsa Posta

I included that I was writing from West St Paul MN.

Quite a number of years ago, I was playing at Grizzly's in Apple Valley MN and won a Countdown quiz in early midafternoon.

Unbeknownst to me, the principle owner was at another of his restaurants in St Cloud MN, idly staring at a Buzztime screen which nobody was playing, questioning the wisdom of retaining the game. Just then, the scores were posted from the game I had won. He picked up his cell phone and called Apple Valley.

"Who is this guy, Yojo, who's playing trivia there?"

"He's a regular. Comes in every day for a few games."

"Well, take good care of him."

That conversation, as reported by the bartender, took place more than twenty years ago. Eventually the place was sold, and its name changed, but to this day it retains Buzztime.