New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Trivia Bar in Louisville
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:14 am 
Himself Fodder

cards wrote:
Looks like 30 Red is now on the correct time zone. Thanks to the person that got this changed.

No, thanks to you for pointing this out. Understand it can be difficult to balance trivia loopholes with friendship. Think you walked the fine line well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:40 am 
Lord of Scaratings

If nothing else, it sparked some interesting posts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:55 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Tolle wrote:
scar wrote:
lewser wrote:
Why don't you guys just tell your idiot friend to stop being an enormous fucking douchebag?

Well I for one live 420 miles away nowadays, and I don't know who it is for sure.

But even if I did, he is my friend, and that is way more important to me than him exploiting flaws in BT's software.

And also, he is one of the best BT players I have ever seen, and absolutely doesn't need to resort to any shenanigans. I think he must get a kick out if.

So, FSHMAN plays at Bungalow Joe's everyday and then goes to 30 Red Sport Saloon and changes handles and plays repeat games. SCAR, I wouldn't expect you to discontinue being friends with someone over Buzztime, but I'd at least admit what he is doing is really fucking lame. Doing it once or twice just goofing off or seeing if you can is one thing, but doing it all the time is pathetic. If he is as great of a Buzztime player as many as you say he is, all he is doing is making people doubt that and everytime they see his name it will be assumed he is cheating.

Maybe he could give a shit what anyone thinks... that's fine. I just think it is very,very weak.

Understood. Can't say I understand it.

As far his trivia skills, best example I have is that he, Jesse and I went up to Caddy Jack's in Dayton for a weekend several years back, and joined a bunch of their regulars.. Fog, Clark, ND, Bigdog, Stu et al. We ruled the boards , I was #2 in Spotlight individually for my finest placement ever in that game.

Some folks had a mistaken impression that I was better than I am (too many holes in my overall knowledge base) which we corrected, but everyone was real impressed with Fshman and Jesse.

In those days, TGIF-Lou and CJ's had an ongoing daily rivalry between 6-8 EST where it seemed like one of us was #1 about half the time.

Several comments were made by what I consider one of the finest teams I'd seen that "now they understood how we were beating them".

Of course, I mentioned others such as Dante and Cloudy as well.

Comment I remembered was "You guys come back and play with us anytime. Hell, move here".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:02 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

FSHMAN (& Freels) also went with me to the first WVBTO and played quite well.

Dragged him down to Bowling Green for the "Twisted Sisters Tour" and played with those ladies and their friends if y'all recall... Toots, Angel, KCDomino.

Went to Teasers in chicago and played with Pete (CLIPPR) and those fellas.

Point is there are others outside Louiville who have played with him, besides all the visitors we used to get at TGIF who could speak to the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
FSHMAN (& Freels) also went with me to the first WVBTO and played quite well.

Dragged him down to Bowling Green for the "Twisted Sisters Tour" and played with those ladies and their friends if y'all recall... Toots, Angel, KCDomino.

Went to Teasers in chicago and played with Pete (CLIPPR) and those fellas.

Point is there are others outside Louiville who have played with him, besides all the visitors we used to get at TGIF who could speak to the issue.

I remember sitting with y'all in Hillbillyville for a couple of games (despite Jesse's third clue shoutouts) and not hirting my average any.

My best friend was scamming the system when the iPhone app first came out to get a couple of perfectos. I called him out on it & he gave me a reason to do it that he thought was valid--he wanted to piss off a couple of local players where he was at.

As most of you know, I'm alright with pissing people off. But I explained that he was pissing me off by costing me chances at high scores & medals by pulling the scam. He also was worried that I might tell someone about it, then none of his scores would ever be legit to those players. Next day, I had a perfecto on a 10q. I saw him on the board with another 10K perfect and called him on it. He swore it was legit. It may well have been, because the questions were ones that were in both of our wheelhouses, but there was some doubt, and he's my BEST FRIEND for 35 years.

People play BT different ways for different reasons. That said, I really dislike bag o' douches that scam the system for ANY reason.

Case in point is a docwho that seems to be answering 1 question EVERY game during the day from various sites in South Carolina via the phone app, I think he moved up the most in the P+P thread SCAR broke down for the previous year's Top 1000 and where they stand now. Just another example of system manipulation that might not piss some people off, but pisses me off.

And like topdoc, who was scamming the system to earn the badges.

Don't be a bag o' douche and scam the system.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:30 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:45 pm 
Himself Fodder

tiefly wrote:

Um, isn't double-dipping scamming the system?

Sorry Scar, but I can't respect FSHMAN or JESSE as trivia players. Already explained why regarding FSHMAN, but as far as JESSE goes he's not a team player. He plays in team settings, shares answers, but when push comes to shove he will choose his P+ points over team score every single time. I've seen multiple premium games where he has taken a zero on the final question when the team really needed his score. If any teammate of mine did that they would get punched in the face and I'd never share answers with them again.

Just explaining my feelings on those matters, I like some of the Louisville crew without question, but there have certainly been a few odd trivia ducks from there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
tiefly wrote:

Sorry Scar, but I can't respect FSHMAN or JESSE as trivia players. Already explained why regarding FSHMAN, but as far as JESSE goes he's not a team player. He plays in team settings, shares answers, but when push comes to shove he will choose his P+ points over team score every single time. I've seen multiple premium games where he has taken a zero on the final question when the team really needed his score. If any teammate of mine did that they would get punched in the face and I'd never share answers with them again.

Just explaining my feelings on those matters, I like some of the Louisville crew without question, but there have certainly been a few odd trivia ducks from there.

Maybe I am a bag o' douche.

I do like playing both trivia and sports. I am physically at the site, answering questions that are put in front of me. I also play Th'e between games & breaks when it's available. May be rationalizing somewhat, but playing LTT, there are natural breaks when it is easy to switch from one game to the other. I play at a site where there is usually no one else playing or to talk to, so it amuses me to play both. I don't have a smart phone to get online and surf, nor am I much of a texter, so I play both.

I guess double dipping is manipulating the system & I should shut the fuck up. But I like playing the sports & the content is new to me. It also slows down my drink consumption, which I just learned from my doctor, is supposedly a good thing.

But I don't think playing two games at the same time that are in front of me is the same as using an iPhone to see answers ahead of time or changing time zones to get repeat games. Or logging into four or five remote sites in hopes of getting a lag to exploit.

I've been wrong before (see "Questions you've missed before" thread), tho.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

And if that teammate were female? Whether your teammete is male or female, I don't think using violence as a response of playing a trivia game is ever acceptable. I hope you are just using hyperbole here!!

This, of course, is in response to BO's latest post.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:45 pm 
Himself Fodder

tiefly wrote:

I do like playing both trivia and sports. I am physically at the site, answering questions that are put in front of me. I also play Th'e between games & breaks when it's available. May be rationalizing somewhat, but playing LTT, there are natural breaks when it is easy to switch from one game to the other. I play at a site where there is usually no one else playing or to talk to, so it amuses me to play both. I don't have a smart phone to get online and surf, nor am I much of a texter, so I play both.

I guess double dipping is manipulating the system & I should shut the fuck up. But I like playing the sports & the content is new to me. It also slows down my drink consumption, which I just learned from my doctor, is supposedly a good thing.

But I don't think playing two games at the same time that are in front of me is the same as using an iPhone to see answers ahead of time or changing time zones to get repeat games. Or logging into four or five remote sites in hopes of getting a lag to exploit.

No, it's not near as bad as what we've been discussing upthread. And I'm certainly no saint having done things that some considered unethical.

But here's the thing, I'm not doubting you enjoying playing both trivia and sports. But if it didn't matter for P+ points, you would play all 15 Q's on both games and use two separate handles. As it is now, you don't put up a competitive score in at least one game, but you always pick up those extra P+ points. So it's pretty obvious that the P+ points are more important than you doing your best in both games.

FWIW, some time back when you told me you were double-dipping because you had a goal of reaching 25MM and you were worried you wouldn't make it because of health issues, I could respect and understand that rationale. But regardless, I'm not going to worry or be terribly judgmental about it. You've done good things in the BT community and that counts for something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
tiefly wrote:

No, it's not near as bad as what we've been discussing upthread. And I'm certainly no saint having done things that some considered unethical.

But here's the thing, I'm not doubting you enjoying playing both trivia and sports. But if it didn't matter for P+ points, you would play all 15 Q's on both games and use two separate handles. As it is now, you don't put up a competitive score in at least one game, but you always pick up those extra P+ points. So it's pretty obvious that the P+ points are more important than you doing your best in both games.

FWIW, some time back when you told me you were double-dipping because you had a goal of reaching 25MM and you were worried you wouldn't make it because of health issues, I could respect and understand that rationale. But regardless, I'm not going to worry or be terribly judgmental about it. You've done good things in the BT community and that counts for something.

You know, I've never even thought about a pure sports channel handle. I used to have a guest box for The. I think I may set one up. I'd be curious as to how high of an average I could get. The horse racing qs crush me though I now know that Cigar won the Breeder's in 1995 (I hope I remebered that correctly).

I guess I just got used to going back and forth from playing this summer & then not getting to play while I was hospitalized/in home care made me hate 'downtime'...I needed to feed my jones!!!

I'll see if I can go cold turkey on the sports or just skip a CD game or two now and then to concentrate on sports. However, my poor/low Cd scores aren' necessarily due to not finishing the games while playing both, it's that I just I'm not very good at getting the correct answers. Believe me, I'm trying to be competetive. :)

Edited to say "guest" box instead of "guess" box. For channel 1 trivia, all my boxes are "guess" boxes...EGADS!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:25 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

-BO- wrote:
tiefly wrote:

Bo, I have posted on here that Jesse sneaky non shared his Mom on four boxes when she was trying to win her first game ever !

Yes, Jesse can't be regarded as the ultimate team player.

But he is my friend. Plus, in Jesse's case, it is important that he has friends. His trivia buddies are good for him in many ways.

A couple of years ago, LITL E passed away, very sadly. Steve had some quirks of his own. But, Steve was my friend. And Steve also needed some friends.

I posted after his passing that trivia was important to him, that he had a place he could go and get away from his troubles, where he could fit in and just be one of the gang.

And that I was glad I was part of a group that provided that for each other, in different ways.

FSHMAN took me aside later and said he had read that post, and that I had really gotten it right.

I don't game the system, I play team the best I can, and my Players Plus total is pure.

I love trivia, and play it to my own standards.

But after all, it is a game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:32 pm 
Himself Fodder

tiefly wrote:
You know, I've never even thought about a pure sports channel handle. I used to have a guest box for The. I think I may set one up. I'd be curious as to how high of an average I could get. The horse racing qs crush me though I now know that Cigar won the Breeder's in 1995 (I hope I remebered that correctly).

I guess I just got used to going back and forth from playing this summer & then not getting to play while I was hospitalized/in home care made me hate 'downtime'...I needed to feed my jones!!!

I'll see if I can go cold turkey on the sports or just skip a CD game or two now and then to concentrate on sports. However, my poor/low Cd scores aren' necessarily due to not finishing the games while playing both, it's that I just I'm not very good at getting the correct answers. Believe me, I'm trying to be competetive. :)

Edited to say "guest" box instead of "guess" box. For channel 1 trivia, all my boxes are "guess" boxes...EGADS!!!

I think you should play both at the same time and focus on both games equally. It can be done, a few of us did it successfully in STL one year. Sounds like it would be the perfect fix for what you describe. And you certainly won't have any down time during the game!

As Sly said in Rocky III, "Go for it".

And might I suggest JCKFLY or JOKFLY for your sports handle? :D

Last edited by -BO- on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:34 pm 
Himself Fodder

scar wrote:
Bo, I have posted on here that Jesse sneaky non shared his Mom on four boxes when she was trying to win her first game ever !

Yes, Jesse can't be regarded as the ultimate team player.

But he is my friend. Plus, in Jesse's case, it is important that he has friends. His trivia buddies are good for him in many ways.

A couple of years ago, LITL E passed away, very sadly. Steve had some quirks of his own. But, Steve was my friend. And Steve also needed some friends.

I posted after his passing that trivia was important to him, that he had a place he could go and get away from his troubles, where he could fit in and just be one of the gang.

And that I was glad I was part of a group that provided that for each other, in different ways.

FSHMAN took me aside later and said he had read that post, and that I had really gotten it right.

I don't game the system, I play team the best I can, and my Players Plus total is pure.

I love trivia, and play it to my own standards.

But after all, it is a game.

Oh sure, that's part of being a friend. You overlook their shortcomings, and in turn they do the same.

Us trivia folk are weird enough to begin with we need all the friends we can find!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:39 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

-BO- wrote:
tiefly wrote:

One of my favorite Jess amazing stories that just pissed me off to no end:

Long story short, jesse's playing 4 boxes.

We have a perfect bar score going (I remember for sure Dante was there as well).

Jesse sneaky non shares question 14 on 4 boxes for 1,000 each (though he claims he was just guessing)

Jesse's 4 boxes are 14,000. I'm sitting on 13 something K.

Question comes up, I precall the easy answer.

But something is wrong.

3 of Jesse's boxes bled like 30-100 points each. I'm like WTF ?

Jesse bled 3 boxes down so his primary handle would be #1 !

I called him on it. He said that it was just a few points. I said, "Just a few points... we are going for the bar score ! We better not lose # 1 from it !" with a little vehemence in my voice.

Score comes up, I swear to god we lose the bar score by one miserable point.

I picked up my box, moved to the other side of the bar, and didn't speak to him again that night.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:51 pm 
Himself Fodder

scar wrote:

We have a perfect bar score going (I remember for sure Dante was there as well).

Jesse sneaky non shares question 14 on 4 boxes for 1,000 each (though he claims he was just guessing)

But something is wrong.

I called him on it. He said that it was just a few points. I said, "Just a few points... we are going for the bar score ! We better not lose # 1 from it !" with a little vehemence in my voice.

I picked up my box, moved to the other side of the bar, and didn't speak to him again that night.

Double wow. You are a better man than I. After that I would never play trivia with him again. If he were my friend, we'd have to socialize somewhere other than trivia.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:29 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

-BO- wrote:
scar wrote:

But something is wrong.

Double wow. You are a better man than I. After that I would never play trivia with him again. If he were my friend, we'd have to socialize somewhere other than trivia.

I was pissed.

With Jesse, I'd try to reel him back in to team land when he would do crap like that.

It sorta worked sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:37 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

So a couple years back I arranged to meet up with Girlie at a Bdubs in Orlando down the street from where I was staying.

Turns out it was Jesse's home bar when he wintered there, and he arrived with entourage in tow and joined us.

A few games go by, and Girlie starts to say something a couple times but stops.

Finally, I said "Well, what ? "

She replied"... Uh.. it seems a couple of times... that Jesse.... well it seems..........................................."

I said " You mean is Jesse a $%^&*#$ sneaky non sharer who has been taking our answers and won both of the last two games when he didn't share back ?"

She said ' Well, yes'

I said "Damn straight he is. But he is my friend, sorry. But see his mom sitting there ? Let me tell you about the time she was about to win her first game...'

She eventually busted out laughing. Said she had played with him a couple times, and she had had her suspicions.

I told her he tried to be real sneaky around new people.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I couldn't be friends with someone who constantly sandbagged.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:10 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

scar wrote:

Full disclosure... I have played two handles at once in Texas Hold 'Em and pumped out some dollars for Scar to Muadib's detriment.

I was going to laugh at my buddy Lobb whom I was meeting to play THE and watch sports when he say my big pile of money.

But, another player showed up early, and asked me what the hell I was doing.

I felt pretty lame when I explained what I was doing. So I never did it again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:14 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

lewser wrote:

There are days I feel the same way.

Course, there are also stories about having him to my home for Thanksgiving and teaching him how to play poker.

Then Texas Hold'em for money.

He screamed out loud, literally jumped up out of his wheelchair, giggled madly, clapped his hands and finally announced he was all in.

We all dropped, and I told him that was either the finest perfomance I had ever seen to bluff someone out or he must have a good hand.

He showed his quads, then asked why everbody dropped ?

That was a good holiday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
lewser wrote:

There are days I feel the same way.

Course, there are also stories about having him to my home for Thanksgiving and teaching him how to play poker.

Then Texas Hold'em for money.

He screamed out loud, literally jumped up out of his wheelchair, giggled madly, clapped his hands and finally announced he was all in.

We all dropped, and I told him that was either the finest perfomance I had ever seen to bluff someone out or he must have a good hand.

He showed his quads, then asked why everbody dropped ?

That was a good holiday.

A friend has your back when you need him, but he thinks so little that he feels he doesn't need to share. I would take it as an insult if a "friend" consistently sandbagged, it is a lack of respect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

People get three and exactly three sandbags in my presence.
They never get another answer out of me after that.
It seems to consistently adversely affect their score going forward moreso than mine.
Probably a coincidence.

Per FSHMAN's ability, I will defer to your and other's more extensive experience in the matter. But, during the Tuesday I played with you guys down there, I heard him pipe up exactly two times in about three hours. I was two seats to his left. Either his precall skills are tragically lacking or he really needs to work on his stage presence.
Both you and Dante contributed to a greater degree than FSHMAN. Not trying to blow wind up your skirt. Just a simple statement of fact.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:41 pm 
Golden Tee Master

I don't believe Fshman is a big group type of player. Since you played on a Tuesday, I am guessing there were 10-15 people playing. In smaller groups, Fshman will throw out plenty of answers. I hated playing in large groups of 10 or more at Fridays. You have to yell out answers or deal with 3 other people yelling out different answers. Plus, I never wanted to be the guy yelling out the wrong answer and taking the whole team down. Bottom line is that Fshman never has a problem sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:17 pm 
Himself Fodder

FSHMAN also uses dummy boxes to feed his THe winnings, one game starting at 11am local time he beat 54 other "players".

Not a huge deal in itself, but yet another occurrence of system manipulation. Hell, he probably chuckles at us for digging all this info up!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next