New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mellow Mushroom Louisville II
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:18 am 
Golden Tee Master

BOBBYD and myself talked to the owner at the Mellow Mushroom in Middletown last night. He said
he would check into Buzztime again. He thought the cost was too much. But, he was willing to call and at least see if he could make it work. So if you Louisville players want a good place to play then go on facebook or go to that location and let the owner know you would come in and play if they added Buzztime. He has to see an interest before he will put the money down. BOBBYD made a point on how much trivia business Damon's did when they were open. But, we need more help to make this happen. Otherwise, I guess things will stay the same. Enjoy life at BW3 and Old Chicago. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Mellow Mushroom Louisville II
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'd love for a Mellow Mushroom to open in Northcentral WV.

I played w/ LUREED, NICO, DAFFY, DENNIS, & TOLLE at one in TN recently...the food was great and the beer selection was even better.

One of the owners told Steve and Donna that they had put in BT just for them, so that was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:02 am 
Lotsa Posta

cards wrote:
BOBBYD and myself talked to the owner at the Mellow Mushroom in Middletown last night. He said
he would check into Buzztime again. He thought the cost was too much. But, he was willing to call and at least see if he could make it work. So if you Louisville players want a good place to play then go on facebook or go to that location and let the owner know you would come in and play if they added Buzztime. He has to see an interest before he will put the money down. BOBBYD made a point on how much trivia business Damon's did when they were open. But, we need more help to make this happen. Otherwise, I guess things will stay the same. Enjoy life at BW3 and Old Chicago. :roll:

Cards, I'm more than willing to visit smaller places than I am larger BW's and Old Chicagos. I have played more at 30Red and Bungalow Joe's this year than all the BW's in town combined. My question is....will he put it at both Mellow Mushrooms, or just one? If it is the one across form Southeast Christian Church, that is within walking distance for Cloudy, and that there is half the business the owner needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:33 am 
Golden Tee Master

MiniYoda wrote:
cards wrote:

Cards, I'm more than willing to visit smaller places than I am larger BW's and Old Chicagos. I have played more at 30Red and Bungalow Joe's this year than all the BW's in town combined. My question is....will he put it at both Mellow Mushrooms, or just one? If it is the one across form Southeast Christian Church, that is within walking distance for Cloudy, and that there is half the business the owner needs.

St Matthews MM is owned by someone else and they have no interest in adding Buzztime. Yes, this is the one on Blankenbaker close to Cloudy. Cloudy travels a lot and I doubt that he would cover half the business needed. But, a steady group of players is all that is needed. The issue is getting players to tell the owner that they would visit Mellow Mushroom if trivia is added. It is nice that Louisville has 30Red and
Bungalow Joe's. Both are long drives for me and drinking is out of the question if I visit those locations. If people want a different place to play on the east end of town then let the owner at Mellow Mushroom know about. The stories about Damons and Fridays are getting old. Just like the food at BW3 and Old Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:28 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

cards wrote:
MiniYoda wrote:
cards wrote:

St Matthews MM is owned by someone else and they have no interest in adding Buzztime. Yes, this is the one on Blankenbaker close to Cloudy. Cloudy travels a lot and I doubt that he would cover half the business needed. But, a steady group of players is all that is needed. The issue is getting players to tell the owner that they would visit Mellow Mushroom if trivia is added. It is nice that Louisville has 30Red and
Bungalow Joe's. Both are long drives for me and drinking is out of the question if I visit those locations. If people want a different place to play on the east end of town then let the owner at Mellow Mushroom know about. The stories about Damons and Fridays are getting old. Just like the food at BW3 and Old Chicago.

Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:06 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Thanks Scar, it's like pushing water uphill. The level of trivia play in Louisville has really dropped off. In part due to poor locations. Plus some folks have just moved on to something else. Mellow Mushroom would
make a good trivia location. They are not sports driven and there is a nice three sided bar with an excellent beer selection. They run specials everyday and the food puts B-dubs and Old Chicago to shame. People just have to tell the owner that they would come there to play trivia. Just BOBBYD and myself is not enough for him to add Buzztime.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:26 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

cards wrote:
Thanks Scar, it's like pushing water uphill. The level of trivia play in Louisville has really dropped off. In part due to poor locations. Plus some folks have just moved on to something else. Mellow Mushroom would
make a good trivia location. They are not sports driven and there is a nice three sided bar with an excellent beer selection. They run specials everyday and the food puts B-dubs and Old Chicago to shame. People just have to tell the owner that they would come there to play trivia. Just BOBBYD and myself is not enough for him to add Buzztime.

I love their FunckyQ Chicken Pizza. I go to Buckehad and play at the MM from time to time. See Bone occasionally.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:32 am 
Golden Tee Master

scar wrote:
cards wrote:

I love their FunckyQ Chicken Pizza. I go to Buckehad and play at the MM from time to time. See Bone occasionally.

Wow, been sometime since I was at the MM in Atlanta. Going to MM here again tonight to plead my case one more time. Owner was going to talk to other MM owners that have Buzztime. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Post subject: I'll drop by the Mellow Mushroom...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cards, I'll drop by the Mellow Mushroom sometime this week to suggest they put NTN trivia in. I'll also try to contact as many of the old trivia players from Friday's as I can, to get them to stop in and tell the manager that they would like it too. It is well located for many of those people, and so close to me that walking there wouldn't be a problem. Let's see what we can do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 am 
Lotsa Posta

On a somewhat related side note, Cloudy, my wife and I went to 30Red Saturday night, and discovered that they suspended Buzztime there for the summer. We talked to the owner, and he said that it costs $120/week for his set up, and he arranged with Buzztime to turn it off during the summer, and it would be turned back on in August. He's going through some remodeling and expansion to allow outdoor music, corn-hole, and other things, and I guess he needed the cash for the expansion.

If it would cost the mellow mushroom $120/week to have buzztime, I doubt they will be able to justify it. They do good business there, but not sure if the product would bring in an extra $120/week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 am 
Golden Tee Master

Mellow Mushroom is doing good business. But, not so much at the bar. Every time I stop by the bar area is lucky to be half full. Buzztime prices are an issue. Steady traffic from local players would solve those issues. Thanks to Cloudy and others in advance for stepping up and talking to the owner.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:26 am 
Centenarian

Hopefully if this Mellow Mushroom adds it, other ones across the country will follow suit and start adding Buzztime as well. Need a good alternative to BW3's.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:30 am 
Moderating Hobbit

MiniYoda wrote:
On a somewhat related side note, Cloudy, my wife and I went to 30Red Saturday night, and discovered that they suspended Buzztime there for the summer. We talked to the owner, and he said that it costs $120/week for his set up, and he arranged with Buzztime to turn it off during the summer, and it would be turned back on in August. He's going through some remodeling and expansion to allow outdoor music, corn-hole, and other things, and I guess he needed the cash for the expansion.

If it would cost the mellow mushroom $120/week to have buzztime, I doubt they will be able to justify it. They do good business there, but not sure if the product would bring in an extra $120/week.

Judging by the amount of people in there, I'd be shocked if 30 Red could make their money back at $30 / wk. Unless they get insanely busy on the weekend, I just figured they're a money laundering front.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:10 am 
Lotsa Posta

Dante wrote:
MiniYoda wrote:

Judging by the amount of people in there, I'd be shocked if 30 Red could make their money back at $30 / wk. Unless they get insanely busy on the weekend, I just figured they're a money laundering front.

When we found out that he suspended Buzztime, the three of us finished our one beer and went to Bungalow Joe's. It was more crowded there, but not 100%+ packed like on a weekend in the fall/winter. Joe's has better prices, more beers on tap, and a better overall atmosphere. If 30Red is to make it, he needs to focus on one or two things, and not try to have everything. With corn-hole, kareoke, live band, trivia, etc etc etc, he's trying to attract everyone, and spending too much money trying to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:11 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

MiniYoda wrote:
Dante wrote:
MiniYoda wrote:

When we found out that he suspended Buzztime, the three of us finished our one beer and went to Bungalow Joe's. It was more crowded there, but not 100%+ packed like on a weekend in the fall/winter. Joe's has better prices, more beers on tap, and a better overall atmosphere. If 30Red is to make it, he needs to focus on one or two things, and not try to have everything. With corn-hole, kareoke, live band, trivia, etc etc etc, he's trying to attract everyone, and spending too much money trying to do so.

To be fair to him, I'm fairly certain no business has ever lasted in that spot, no matter what they did.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:17 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:

Well, so much for the rumors that you where dead. Back to topic. I believe the owner of 30 Red has his own construction business. Which explains the bar made out of concrete. I doubt he has much knowledge about the bar/restaurant business. Plus, not many places have stayed open long on Bardstown Road in Fern Creek. Wings and Rings being one of the latest examples.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

cards wrote:
Dante wrote:

Well, so much for the rumors that you where dead. Back to topic. I believe the owner of 30 Red has his own construction business. Which explains the bar made out of concrete. I doubt he has much knowledge about the bar/restaurant business. Plus, not many places have stayed open long on Bardstown Road in Fern Creek. Wings and Rings being one of the latest examples.

Rumors of my death can easily be dispelled with a simple text message or phone call, Mr. My Phone Number is In Your Phone :)

I did forget my Scaratings password, though.

Post subject: I've already talked to five people...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:13 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I've already talked to six trivia players, who said they would drop by the Mellow Mushroom on Blankenbaker, and seriously tell the manager that that they would come to his restaurant, if it had Buzztime trivia. Tomorrow, I will get on the phone, and see how many more I can get involved.

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzOHq5WbQ8k

Post subject: I talked to nine more today...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I talked to nine more old trivia players from T.G.I. Friday's today, about dropping by the Mellow Mushroom and talking to the manager to let him know, if he puts NTN Trivia in, they will become regular customers. All of the people I talked to were for it, and said they would definitely stop by the Mellow Mushroom.

Putting the band back together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4YrCFz0Kfc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 am 
Golden Tee Master

I was in Knoxville this week and played at the Mellow Mushroom on Campbell Station. There was an average crowd that played on Tuesday night. Will stop at the one here for lunch today and see how things are going.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:49 pm 
Golden Tee Master

I stopped by MM for lunch and talked to one of the managers. They are having a meeting with
the owner this afternoon and they will discuss putting in Buzztime. Again, it comes down to cost
versus people that will play. Make your voices heard or forever play at Bdubs and Old Chicago. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I went to the Mellow Mushroom yesterday around 6:00 pm. I went to the bar, and ordered an Italian Hoagie, but no beer because I was driving. Talked to one of the two bartenders, Steve, and asked him how the bar business was going. He answered by saying, "It's starting to get better." (They've been there for nearly a year.) I know what that means... It sucks...! They have a large "U" shaped bar, that I would estimate is capable of seating 30 people. Besides myself there were only 5 other people sitting at the bar. The bar area takes up a significant portion of the Mellow Mushroom's space, and I don't think that the revenue generated by it justifies the square footage it takes up. Right now I would guess that the bar is a net loser for the Mellow Mushroom.

I asked to talk to the manager, but he wasn't there. However, an assistant manager, Julia, came over to talk to me. I told her that if they put NTN Buzztime trivia in that they would likely pick up a lot more business at the bar. I went on to explain to her that there is a very large group of trivia players, who have been looking for a centrally located place to get together to play trivia ever since T.G.I. Fridays dropped it and closed their doors, and that their location is probably even better than Friday's was. She was very polite, and thought that it was a good idea, but I well know that she has very little say in what the Mellow Mushroom decides to do. (I might add that the bartender, Steve, also liked the idea, and I way over tipped him.)

Julia did give me the name and cell phone number of the general manager, Clayton Dobson. I have not yet called him, and out of respect for his privacy, I'm not going to post his cell phone number here. I got the impression that Clayton won't be found at the Mellow Mushroom at 805 Blankenbaker Parkway any old day you happen to drop in there.

Anyway, I plan to go by the Mellow Mushroom again tomorrow, and if Clayton isn't there, I will call him.

Post subject: It doesn't look good...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

It doesn't look good for the Mellow Mushroom having Buzztime trivia any time soon, if ever.

I never called Clayton Dobson, whom I think is the owner, but several weeks ago, I went back in to talk to the manager, who really runs the place. His was name is Dave, and for about five minutes I tried to explain to him how his bar revenue would pick up, if he had Buzztime trivia there. I could tell that he wasn't really listening to me, and he ended the conversation with something like, "Maybe we'll put it in some time in the future." Don't hold your breath guys, I don't think Dave is open to ideas, and is a very cautious person, who is unlikely to try something he doesn't understand. :(

Maybe someone else might be more convincing than I was, and if you think you can get him to listen to you, give it a shot. As pessimistic as I am as to what the prospects are, I might give it one more shot.

Post subject: Don't give up on the Mellow Mushroom yet...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Don't give upon the Mellow Mushroom yet. Cards and I dropped by the place last week, and talked to the new general manager. (I think his name was Gary.) We talked with him for about ten minutes, and found out that he liked the idea of putting Buzztime Trivia in. He didn't make any promises, and said it would be a month or so before he could do anything. It was a good meeting, and I am cautiously optimistic.

I would ask you other local Louisville players to drop by the Mellow Mushroom, when you can find the time, and talk to him too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

There are 8 Mellow Mushrooms that have BT. The corporate managers must be fine with BT so why would it be that difficult for a new franchise to get it?

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!