New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: World Quizzing Championships
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:06 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Those of you who would be interested in a challenging alternative to Buzztime for one Saturday afternoon may wish to consider the World Quizzing Championships, which will be held in some 40 countries on June 7th. GIMPY introduced the WQC to Calgary last year after moving her studies from Ottawa, where it has been a popular event for the past several years

The format is a 240-question pencil-on-paper quiz, 8 categories of 30, in two timed blocks of 120 questions each. The whole thing takes about two hours in a group setting, and similar to Buzztime, is free to play (charitable donations may be encouraged), but you ought to spend a little money if the venue is a bar or restaurant

It is a very challenging quiz, such that last year the median score was 50 (20.833%), and getting half the questions correct placed one in the 96th percentile. I scored 72 (30%), and landed in 557th, or 72nd percentile

http://www.worldquizzing.com/join-in/north-american-venues/

If a venue has been set up in your area, all you need do is register with the local co-ordinator, then show up at the appointed place and time. (Calgary will be listed shortly, once we confirm with our chosen host)

If no venue exists nearby, my understanding is so long as someone will serve as proctor to handle and mark the quiz, ensure all the rules are followed, and submit the results in a timely manner, it doesn't matter how many or how few actually participate in your area. Fire off an e-mail to usa AT worldquizzing DOT com (or canada AT worldquizzing DOT com) before the end of this week for full details on how to get involved