New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RIP Mezzanine Lounge in Houston
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:42 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Just heard that tomorrow is the Mezz's last day. Although COOGS and I haven't played there for a while, when it opened it was one of the most supportive places of NTN/Buzztime, and soon drew a large crowd of players frustrated with BW3 Rice Village and Catbirds. That changed over the years, which is why we moved on to SRO OT (and then Coaches Pub after SRO OT left us), but I will always have fond memories of the birthday parties we had (and also attended) at Mezzanine, and our Showdown, SIX, and Spotlight teams.

Brooke/AARDVK

Post subject: Re: RIP Mezzanine Lounge in Houston
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:50 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Saw a ton of good premium game scores there over the years. Sorry to see 'em go.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:04 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Well, poop. Mezz was Boccavino's top competition and performance yardstick before the FSPLIT

Thanks to BBB and CLAVIN for bringing me in for a visit during 2013

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It's unfortunate to see the Mezz go. It seems the Concert Pub among others were already taking over for awhile, at least on Thur through Sat, the nights we play. I hope everyone was happy elsewhere before the closing.

We weren't that lucky when Hardtimes closed leaving us with 3 BWWs and nothing else. :roll:

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:35 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Sorry to hear this. The Fellowship has fond memories of going toe-to-toe with Mezz in our earliest McCarthy/Sandbag tournaments.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:48 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

BUD wrote:
It's unfortunate to see the Mezz go. It seems the Concert Pub among others were already taking over for awhile, at least on Thur through Sat, the nights we play. I hope everyone was happy elsewhere before the closing.

The Mezz lost their Tuesday night team a couple of years ago for several reasons. First, they scheduled a live trivia game smack in the middle of Showdown, which diverted core players SLOTEK, D MOB, and HUNTER. Then for some reason the wait staff decided that even on evenings when those of us whAo stuck with NTN/BT were the only customers in the upstairs bar, they should put the jukebox on full blast right in front of us so communication became impossible. Given that SRO OT was COOGS's home bar, that we literally drove by it every time we went to Mezz, and that Tim/Dingo and Mike/MIKEEE who we knew from Catbirds and Cosmos were already playing there, we joined them the first night of a McCarthy Cup and just never went back to Mezz on Tuesdays. The others moved to Concert Pub or stopped playing. Mezz did however keep a Wednesday night team until the end, although some weeks the players did live trivia elsewhere instead.

Concert Pub doesn't really play on Wednesdays. COOGS and I used to be at Coaches Pub every Wednesday, but then they got rid of karaoke, so if we want to do that as well as play, we go to JB's for trivia (shows up still as Mike's Place) and then down the road to a karaoke show put on by a KJ we met many years ago at Mezzanine.

Brooke/AARDVK