New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Catbirds, the first McCarthy Cup winner, has dropped NTN/BT
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:14 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Although COOGS and I had stopped playing there because of the parking logistics that caused him problems, it is with a very heavy heart that I report that the place where we met, and where I became AARDVK a little over 20 1/2 years ago, is no longer an NTN/BT location. Part of this is due to their failure to keep up maintenance on the boxes (the old ones that didn't accurately report level of battery charge except in just a few percentages), to their lack of interest in encouraging NTN/BT play even after being named "Best Trivia Bar in Houston" a few years ago in the Houston Press, and at least in our case to not having other players interested in coming there, in part because of terrible parking compared to the not-far-away Coaches Pub (which also offers an incentive worth $40 in all for coming in first on Showdown).

COOGS and I migrated from there to Mezzanine a number of years ago after in an incident that I was witness to, a bartender who was also our friend was suspended, and then eventually fired, for NOT serving an underage person with no ID, because she claimed totally falsely that he had been verbally abusive to her--an accusation I refuted because I was there and the owners firing her were not. We then went on to SRO, and now Coaches.

I remember very well the first time Barbara/CAT told me about opening a bar that would have trivia. I thought she meant those machines that sit on the bar (and that we still see in many places). I had no idea how easily I'd become hooked, or how important it would become to me. There were years when I was at Catbirds three or four nights a week, playing ABUSED NEWS with Hank/BUZZARD (now deceased), and Showdown, Six, Spotlight, and Playback with our various teams. I remember well the birthday parties, the Thanksgivings, and the Christmases.

The last time I played there was in March this year, after a long absence. Fortunately because that night went well, and I got to play with both Barbara and Mike/DOG, I do feel I said goodbye.

Brooke/AARDVK

Post subject: Re: Catbirds, the first McCarthy Cup winner, has dropped NTN
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'm so sorry to hear this, Brooke.

Post subject: Re: Catbirds, the first McCarthy Cup winner, has dropped NTN
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

That is a shame, Catbirds was a staple on the boards when we were playing at The End Zone, JJ Muldoons and Hardtimes in the Gaithersburg/Germantown area of MD. Those 3 have long dropped Buzztime as they were closing thier doors. So I would say Catbirds actually went relatively long in the cycle.

Catbirds case seems different as they aren't closing doors as all 3 of our prior locations did. 2 due to outrageous rent increases that were refused and an eviction for JJ Muldoons. It would seem most of Catbirds players had gone elsewhere so this shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Parking issues are important and shouldn't be ignored by bars.

Shame to see them drop trivia, at least your current choices include more than BWWs.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!